PDA

View Full Version : 939 pin MB w/ PCI-Express?

roskamp
08-19-04, 01:11 PM
Are there any motherboards for sale that are 939 pin for AMD64's and have at least one if not all PCI - Express slots for a good Workstation card I am trying to part together a good Maya workstation for linux and can't find any 939's mb's with any PCI - Express slots?

superklye
08-19-04, 02:00 PM
"have at least one if no PCI - Express slot"?

I think I know what you're asking and I'm pretty sure boards are either PCIe or not, there aren't combo mobos.

Your post really didn't make much sense though. Sorry.

EGGO
08-19-04, 03:41 PM
Been asking this same question for a good month now. Nope, you're not going to get one anytime soon until around December.

FastM
08-19-04, 11:38 PM
Been asking this same question for a good month now. Nope, you're not going to get one anytime soon until around December.

But Intel boards are pretty much out. I wonder if this will hurt AMD just because pci-express video cards are really starting to flow.

Dazz
08-20-04, 12:50 AM
Yeah budget video cards :o

Viral
08-20-04, 01:20 AM
I don't think it will take as long as December.. The original plan from VIA/SIS was to have boards out by september. nVidia's nForce4 Should follow shortly after :)

Gator
08-20-04, 06:37 AM
Are there any motherboards for sale that are 939 pin for AMD64's and have at least one if not all PCI - Express slots for a good Workstation card I am trying to part together a good Maya workstation for linux and can't find any 939's mb's with any PCI - Express slots?

Nforce4 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31478)

Galvin
08-20-04, 06:12 PM
Plus unless you're going SLI you wont see a performance boost in PCI-E with the current high end videocards. Maybe in a year or 2 this will change.

But even doom3 with 500mb textures on a 256mb card the game is playabe no problem.

roskamp
08-20-04, 10:48 PM
I watched an informative tid bit on television about intel's pci-express boards, in response to hurting amd. I don't believe it will affect amd's sales because the current mb and pci-e don't fully take advantage of the higher bandwith of pci-e. Especially the video cards, since they are all currently based on agp 8x chipsets, if you go to tom's hardware you can compare the nvidia agp and pci-e cards. I also hope that the new amd pci-e m/b's come out in september because I would like to learn maya and need to purcahse a good workstation computer relatively soon and would rather get that stuff then current equipment :)

Galvin
08-20-04, 10:58 PM
Just remember new chipsets have bugs which can take months to a year to work out. And amd will probably have the same problem since they are making pci-e but their own version. A standard 939 chipset with fx chip is faster than any intel offering. That should be more than good enough.

But if you go pci-e I hope you dont have problems. I'll feel better with pci-e after its been out a year and all the bugs cleared out by then.

Intel the leader in chipset design had problems with pci-e. wonder how many problems a non intel company will have copying their pci-e chipset design.

To me pci-e is only worth it for sli.

Woodelf
08-21-04, 08:22 AM
Just remember new chipsets have bugs which can take months to a year to work out. And amd will probably have the same problem since they are making pci-e but their own version. A standard 939 chipset with fx chip is faster than any intel offering. That should be more than good enough.

But if you go pci-e I hope you dont have problems. I'll feel better with pci-e after its been out a year and all the bugs cleared out by then.

Intel the leader in chipset design had problems with pci-e. wonder how many problems a non intel company will have copying their pci-e chipset design.

To me pci-e is only worth it for sli.
I always somehow regret buying a newly released chipset, like the Nforce 2's inability to reach 200fsb.
I would like to see a PCI Express boards come out with slot's that were bandwidth assignable in bios (like IRQ's are assignable). Then you could assign SLI bandwidth. Or even (possibly) better, to have windows 64 auto assign bandwith uppon determining SLI. :)

Riptide
08-21-04, 10:44 PM
Bandwidth continues to be much more important on the video card itself. As long as that continues higher bus speeds between the card and the rest of the system will not be very important.

roskamp
08-21-04, 11:59 PM
[To me pci-e is only worth it for sli.]
I know this is a newbie question but exactly what is sli? I think its combining two cards together ?

Galvin
08-22-04, 12:24 AM
[To me pci-e is only worth it for sli.]
I know this is a newbie question but exactly what is sli? I think its combining two cards together ?

nvidia's SLI for pci-e. only their pci-e cards have a bridge connector.

go to nvidia's website they explain it there.

Woodelf
08-22-04, 07:32 AM
Bandwidth continues to be much more important on the video card itself. As long as that continues higher bus speeds between the card and the rest of the system will not be very important.

That's why I don't think were going to be using near the full bandwidth of 16x pci express in the life time of this generation of pci express motherboards, and would like to see at least 2 slots capable of 8x pci express for SLI.

http://www.visiontek.com/PCI/pci_1.htm

"PCI Express slots differ in length, depending on the number of lanes they use. One might suppose that by examining the length of the slot, they can easily be told apart. This is not necessarily true. It is possible to attach two x16 slots directly to the Northbridge. If both slots are being utilized, the bandwidth of each slot is cut in half (x8 each) Thus, by using only half the potential of the slot you now have the equivalent of AGP 8x (2.1GBp/s). From an engineering perspective, itís possible to design motherboards having both AGP and PCI Express slots by using a bridge chip however PCI Express X16 and 8x AGP slots cannot coexist on the same motherboard. Whether or not any manufacturer plans on offering a solution where PCI Express x8 and AGP 8X coexist remains to be seen."

saturnotaku
08-22-04, 09:09 AM
That's why I don't think were going to be using near the full bandwidth of 16x pci express in the life time of this generation of pci express motherboards, and would like to see at least 2 slots capable of 8x pci express for SLI.

I agree with you here, but the big question in my mind is marketing. It's easy to market 16x because it's more than 8 and therefore better! ( :retard: )

But dual 8x PCI-Express should be more than enough to offer exceptional SLI performance.