PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6800 GT acting weird adter bios flashing

rek981
08-22-04, 01:57 AM
My XFX 6800 GT has been acting up lately. Let me explain:

My GT was running great at 415/1100 using only coolbits to OC. BUt of course that is not enough for me. I decided to flash the bios using a XFX GT bios that I modded to 1.4 volts, stupid me also modded the bios clock to 425/1200 (do not know why I did this, I'm a retard). Anyway, card seemed fine at fist but I got artifacts in 3d (duh). Anyway, I reverted back to the stock bios which I backed up and everything seemed fine. I left my computer on for awhile idling while I wasn't home (about a day and 1/2) and when I returned there were artifacts all over WinXP. No matter what I did the artifacting in even 2d was horrific. I flashed a bunch of times using the xfx bios to try to fix it. reinstalled drivers numerous times. It seemed that all was lost until I rebooted one last time out of desperation before I filed a RMA request, and to my surprise everything seemed normal. Now I'm typing this msg running rthdribl in the background at 410/1100 and everything seems stable. What the hell happened? Did I **** up my card? Should I RMA? Whats going on. How could it be so f@#ked reboot after reboot, flash after flash, and then all of a sudden be ok again?

Ross

3.0c P4 @ 3.6
ASUS P4C800
XFX 6800 GT
SB Audigy 2

Lfctony
08-22-04, 03:29 AM
Don't rush to any conclusions. Use it a bit more. I thought I had fixed a problem with my 6800U, only to appear again later on. Still not sure whether the problem is still there, neither should you.

rek981
08-22-04, 11:42 AM
yep, problems returned. RMAing this card for sure.
What do you guys think broke the card? Flashing it, OCing it, both or neither?

Ross

Lezmaka
08-22-04, 12:19 PM
yep, problems returned. RMAing this card for sure.
What do you guys think broke the card? Flashing it, OCing it, both or neither?

Ross

Let me get this straight. You bought a $400 video card, modified it (voiding your warranty in the process) and you're going to send it back?

If you do send it back, I hope they check it and realize you screwed with it, then give it right back for you to use as an extremely expensive paperweight.

Personally, I think don't think flashing it or overclocking it broke the card, but your stupidity did.

Lfctony
08-22-04, 01:01 PM
Nice attitude mate.

To thread starter: If I could teach just one thing to someone about PCs that would be not to mess with voltage. With plain oveclocking you can recover 99% of times, extra voltage though is very dangerous. To me, the extra voltage was what did the damage.

Superfly
08-22-04, 01:02 PM
Let me get this straight. You bought a $400 video card, modified it (voiding your warranty in the process) and you're going to send it back?

If you do send it back, I hope they check it and realize you screwed with it, then give it right back for you to use as an extremely expensive paperweight.

Personally, I think don't think flashing it or overclocking it broke the card, but your stupidity did.

right on the money - you broke it yourself mate.

why did you try to exceed ultra clock frequencies using a modded bios??? - next time IF you overclock a card make sure it can handle to frequencies in software before you go modding the hardware!!!!!!!

your chip was rated as a GT for a reason!!!! - its unable to handle the ultra clock frequencies without problems - doing the volt mod just speeded up killing the card.

you will learn from this right???????

rek981
08-22-04, 02:32 PM
You guys are right about the volt modding damaging the card and my stupidity, and thanks for the extra attitude along with your commentary ;-)

I'm not a newbie to overclocking and modding, i've been doing this stuff since before the Voodoo1. I did run the card at 425/1200 before volt modding and got some artifacting, but not much. I was hoping the extra .1 volts would do the trick as it has for many others on this forum. Anyway, I think where I went wrong was setting the clocks too high in the bios instead of setting the clocks to stock and then going from there in software. It was a 4:00 AM lapse in logic that cost me. Anyway, IF the RMA goes through, I will not even attempt to volt mod and will strictly OC via drivers. I mean I was stable at 410/1100, I should have been more than happy with that.

Ross

saturnotaku
08-22-04, 02:46 PM
For the sake of consumers everywhere, I hope your RMA does in fact not go through. It's this type of abuse that costs all of us.

Superfly
08-22-04, 03:22 PM
excuse my harshness - married life went pear shaped today :-(

at least ive still got my daughter.........:-)

Saturnotaku is right though, you should not get away with the RMA for the sake of those with genuine problems.

camelot
08-22-04, 03:46 PM
Don't RMA things you break

holmes
08-22-04, 11:46 PM
wow.. tough luck there man, but it's a disturbing trend at how many people break things then RMA them. I wonder what the numbers are of how much this phenomenon eats into profits?

noko
08-23-04, 12:44 AM
The NV40 core can take 1.4v. The core between the GT and Ultra comes from the same place doesn't it? So volting it to 1.4v shouldn't cause the core to fail, maybe accelerated a weak core to partially fail but it must had problems to begin with. The other cause could have been high temperture but then the core will automatically downclock if temperture gets too high. Many of us have volted our GT's to 1.4v without issue and without failure.

Still if you broke your agreement dealing with the warranty even if it appears that what you did shouldn't break the card but it broke anyways I say suck it up. I recommend you do not RMA your card, try down clocking it to see if it makes a difference, you know stock speeds. If it runs at stock speeds then RMAing it would be very bogus. My two cents.