PDA

View Full Version : ECS Motherboards ????

serialdave
11-01-02, 08:13 AM
I am looking to do an upgrade without spending to much money - arn't we all. I see a deal for an xp1700+ motherboard heatsink and fan for less than $120.

The motherboard is an ECS k7s5a. I read a few reviews about the board and it did well. But I was wondering if anyone here has one and how well it has done for them.

Redshirt #24
11-01-02, 10:12 AM
I've had my K7S5A (revision 3.1) for about ten months now, also
paired with an XP1700+ (though at the time I paid about $215
for it all). It's been, for lack of a better phrase, disgustingly stable for
that entire period...it's never locked up on me, no serious crashes
in much of ANYTHING (the occasional hard lock in Counter-Strike
notwithstanding) using both Windows 2000 and XP (pre-SP1).
It's not an overclocker's board by any stretch of the imagination,
but it's stable...gives surprisingly good performance...and will
run anything with a 266MHz FSB according to ECS (supposedly,
up to the XP2600+). Note, though, that I'm not using its onboard
sound, so I have no clue if it sucks or how much it sucks. :D

But, hey, $120? Go for it!

Gator
11-01-02, 10:39 AM
ECS K7S5A is probably the best motherboard I've ever owned! It is VERY VERY stable and dirt cheap too. Works great for Durons, TBird, AthlonXP, and AthlonXP 0.13 chips. You can use DDR or SDRAM depending on your budget, it has plenty of PCI slots, and well... it's just awesome. The onboard sound isn't the greatest, but it's not bad either, my friend uses it with Unreal Tournament and he has no complaints.

It has only one disadvantage, poor overclocking capability. However there are hacked bios downloads available to fix that, so its no big deal :p

Get the board! Enjoy!

serialdave
11-01-02, 03:51 PM
Since everything I have now is overclocked and fans are spinning everywhere I was hoping to let this one run at it's true speed. I was planning on using my soundblaster live with that board and disabling the onboard sound. I will probably be running it with sdram because I can get 512 meg of cas2 for a mere $50. Thanks for the input.

YeuEmMaiMai
11-01-02, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by serialdave
Since everything I have now is overclocked and fans are spinning everywhere I was hoping to let this one run at it's true speed. I was planning on using my soundblaster live with that board and disabling the onboard sound. I will probably be running it with sdram because I can get 512 meg of cas2 for a mere $50. Thanks for the input.

get the ddr ram, the performance gain is worth it.

With the hacked BIOS you can use 166 and 166 for the new AMD chips

I can get 150 to boot but not 166 and I think it has to do with my AMD Athlon XP 1900+ not liking anything above 1.8Ghz

serialdave
11-01-02, 11:24 PM
I was hoping to pass on the erge to overclock. I have 3 celeron 566@850 a 366@550 running at home now and I was hoping the 1700+ would do just fine.

As for the sdr memmory I can get the 512 meg of good cas2 memmory for what 128 meg of ddr cas2.5 is going for and from the numbers that firing squad got on the review they did ddr just didn't make much difference.

I was trying to do it all for about $200.

I have a case hardrive sound etc. etc. All I was needing was the motherboard cpu memmory and video.
With the ati radeon at $72 or a geforce 3 ti200 for $60 with the $110 for the motherboard cpu combo the 512 of crucial.com memmory I would be hitting the price point.

So that brings up what to get for video - the ati radeon 8500 or the geforce3 ti 200?

thcdru2k
11-02-02, 12:13 AM
ti4200 > r8500 > ti200

serialdave
11-02-02, 10:53 AM
That is what I was thinking but the radeon 8500 is so much lower priced than the geforce4 ti4200 and it shows faster that the geforce 3 cards in most all of the reviews. Everything I have is nvidia I hate to jump the fence :)

Gator
11-03-02, 06:56 PM
GF4TI4200 is $107
R8500 is $72

for 35 bucks more you get a more powerful video card. It's your choice, but I had a R8500 128ddr and I sold it very quickly and got the GF4TI instead because the GF4 gave me far fewer issues and much better performance. And thi was only a few months ago.

prices from http://www.pricewatch.com

serialdave
11-03-02, 07:58 PM
What was it that the ATI did wrong or didn't do at all.

Gator
11-04-02, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by serialdave
What was it that the ATI did wrong or didn't do at all.

ATI makes a nice product, but many people including myself have experienced certain problems with ATI cards and gaming. It's often different for everyone, but for myself I experienced a lot of image tearing issues. One game, Aquanox, actually continuously crashed with the R8500. So after many driver updates (another complaint of former ATI users) as recent as July I finally gave up and took a chance on an Nvidia card and sure enogh all my problems disappeared and I was happy.

Again, results may vary, I'm just going by my experience and those of many others. And I still have an ATI video card in every machine in my home with the exception of my main gaming rig (specs below).

Sea Dragon
11-04-02, 10:14 AM
Perhaps I had an early revision, but I had a HORRIBLE experience with the ECS K7S5a - 2 of them to be exact. With the first one, it would intermittently lose my drives; sometimes it was the C drive, sometimes the D drive (seperate hard drive), sometimes it was the CD-ROM drive. I sent it back, thinking I had a fluke board, but the second one did a similar thing; only this time, it would periodically lose the video. I sent the thing back, and got a refudbished DFI AK-76 board, and it's been great - no stability issues at all.

At work (I work for an ISP), we had a customer bring a system in for modem problems. When booting up, the thing would periodically lose the floppy drive or the modem - rebooting would usually fix the problem. I bet the other tech there $5 that it was an ECS. Pulled the case - bam. K7S5a. The only thing I can think of is that these were the earliest revisions that had some issues or something.

Since a lot of people have had good experiences, I must have been stricken with the cruel hand of fate; regardless, I doubt I'll ever consider an ECS board again.

NV30 Desirer
11-08-02, 12:19 AM
I considered one and decided it's not worth it for all the problems i've read about, but i don't like VIA and SIS is alright so i'm going nForce and Geforce (Whatever NV30 is called)!! nVIDIA all the way

PsychoSy
11-08-02, 04:54 AM
The disappearing Floppy Drive/Modem is most likely due to "Boot Up Floppy Seek" being disabled in the BIOS - a well known and easily fixable issue on these boards since release.

Before I bought mine, I made sure I covered every single base beforehand by reading the forums at AMDMB.com and OC Workbench. Armed with this knowledge, the first thing was I made sure the one I was looking at had the white "XP" stickers around the socket, the PCP said Rev 3.1 on it, and it had an AGP retention clip - and it did. Upon getting the board home, I took it out of the anti-static bag and replaced the junk CMOS battery with a known brand name.

Installation was a breeze, had no big issues except for the Floppy thing, and it runs better than my old workhorse did. If you know where to look online, you can walk away with a plethora of information on how to nip the majority of possible issues in the bud prior to purchase and address 80% of the issues with any motherboard. :)

serialdave
11-22-02, 11:25 AM
I appreciate all of the imput. I ended up jumping ship at the last moment because I found a new Abit kg7 raid motherboard for a mere $47. It runs the AMD 761 matched with the via south bridge with no sound nic etc. I did a little research and it came up just a tad slower but was always concerderd stable. I matched it with a retail 2000+ and 256 meg of pc2100 and a radeon 8500 for under $250

I hope it all runs smooth together. It should be a good upgrade from my sdr geforce and celeron 566@850.

Thanks again for any imput and if anyone has any tips or input on the abit kg7 raid I would appreciate it.