PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate it

Maren
08-22-04, 08:49 AM
My beloved Chaintech Geforce FX5200 128mb ain't edge cuttin stuff I know... but with a lil OCing, you can get 55-75 fps out of Soldier Of Fortune 2 running at 1024x768 + ALL settings turned on to max playing in rainy open areas with rocket smoke and all. Of course, some stuff pretty much depend on the rest of your hardware.

Basically, this video card does it great for non per pixel lighting enhanced games. 1024x768 might be modest but stills acceptable for today's standards and arse-kicking for the oldies.

FearMeAll
08-22-04, 09:14 AM
I won't hate it just for u.
If it's a card that makes you happy then good. This whole graphics war is pretty subjective anyways.
your 5200 shouldn't be too bad for directx8 anyways and they are really cheap to get.
I still feel like a crazy man shelling out 400-500 bucks on graphics cards a year just for kicks..

mezkal
08-22-04, 09:41 AM
My beloved Chaintech Geforce FX5200 128mb ain't edge cuttin stuff I know... but with a lil OCing, you can get 55-75 fps out of Soldier Of Fortune 2 running at 1024x768 + ALL settings turned on to max playing in rainy open areas with rocket smoke and all. Of course, some stuff pretty much depend on the rest of your hardware.

Basically, this video card does it great for non per pixel lighting enhanced games. 1024x768 might be modest but stills acceptable for today's standards and arse-kicking for the oldies.

Not at all :) Infact, I think you'll find that some of the DX8.1 games that use some limited Per Pixel rendering like Unreal Tournament 2004 etc will run really well on your card. Make sure you use a driver set like 62.01 or higher as you'll really see some more performance (read : eye candy without sacrificing frame rates) out of your FX 5200. Don't forget that the XBOX uses PS 1.1/1.4 and some of its games look awesome. :)

Good Luck.

EDIT : Sat. I was going to ask him, but considering his performance I assumed it to be the real deal. The 64bit 5200's tend to be lame in ALL 3D apps/games. Even SoF2 :)

saturnotaku
08-22-04, 09:45 AM
Not at all :) Infact, I think you'll find that some of the DX8.1 games that use some limited Per Pixel rendering like Unreal Tournament 2004 etc will run really well on your card.

Long as it's not the 64-bit FX5200, he should be just fine.

But SoF 2 is just a modified Quake 3 engine, so pretty much any card released in the last 2 years will run it well. Hell, I played on my old GeForce3 and it ran more than acceptably. I hated the game, but I wasn't lacking in the performance department. :thumbsup:

Maren
08-22-04, 10:04 AM
SOF2 is a personal fav :D

But the Ghoul2 Engine is FAR better than the original Quake3 engine and takes just alot more of resources as well. I got a 119-125fps average on Quake3 and about 35-45 on SOF2 both without OCing, u get the picture ;)

mezkal
08-22-04, 10:16 AM
SOF2 is a personal fav :D

But the Ghoul2 Engine is FAR better than the original Quake3 engine and takes just alot more of resources as well. I got a 119-125fps average on Quake3 and about 35-45 on SOF2 both without OCing, u get the picture ;)

Maren it's one of mine too ( I guess we do disagree on something Sat ;) ). It's still installed on this box as we speak, though I haven't played it for quite some time. Man oh man I can't wait for SoF3 based on the Doom3 engine. That's gonna rock!!

Maren
08-22-04, 10:57 AM
Maren it's one of mine too ( I guess we do disagree on something Sat ;) ). It's still installed on this box as we speak, though I haven't played it for quite some time. Man oh man I can't wait for SoF3 based on the Doom3 engine. That's gonna rock!!

If SOF3 gets released any time soon, I doubt it will be based on the Doom3 engine. When possible, it would take an insane amount of resources to do the limb chopping on something as detailed as a doom3's model...I rather think it will be based on an improved Ghloul2 Engine plus a realistic ppl environment or a new one made from the Quake4 seeds :)

Superfly
08-22-04, 12:06 PM
SOF 2 is the best thing that ever happened to the Q3 engine - Raven software ROCK.

Quake 4 anyone????? - just you wait SAT!!!!

also SOF2 deathmatch is THE BEST deathmatch option avialable to anyone with a network connection.......

ttfn.

Maren
08-22-04, 12:23 PM
SOF 2 is the best thing that ever happened to the Q3 engine - Raven software ROCK.

also SOF2 deathmatch is THE BEST deathmatch option avialable to anyone with a network connection.......

ttfn.

I second that bloody and add "American McGee's Alice" :D

Bah!
08-24-04, 05:37 PM

ttfn.

As much as i liked SoF singleplayer i couldn't disagree with you more about it being the best deathmatch available. IMO its quite possibly one of the worst.

BTW there are handfuls of games using the Q3 engine that were better than SOF2. Call of Duty, Alice, Elite Forces, Jedi Knight 2 & 3, ect.

I also can't agree with the don't hate on the 5200. Having owned one i can honestly say its the worst card ever made.

-=DVS=-
08-24-04, 05:47 PM
We all happy if your happy ,but why we haveing this thread in driver forum ? :D