PDA

View Full Version : Random shutdown???

Borealis
08-22-04, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea why a computer would randomly shutdown? Was just playing a round of counter-strike and it just shut off on me.

Here are the specs:
Athlon 2400xp watercooled
768ddr
BFG 6800OC
Antec 400W Silentpower
MS-6390 mobo

I'm lost?

saturnotaku
08-22-04, 02:48 PM
Overheating? Bad power supply? Bad memory controller on the motherboard? Could be any number of things. Does it only occur when running 3D applications or will it also shut down in normal desktop work?

aAv7
08-22-04, 03:28 PM
Yea man, ya gotta give more details...could be a number of things...what are the temps of your gpu and cpu under full load? Does it only happen when your gaming? More than likely it's a heating issue or a dying psu.

Borealis
08-22-04, 03:58 PM
Well, the most I know is my CPU was at 71C when I started it back up, I know it's not my GPU, that never gets above 70C. They idle @ CPU 40C and GPU 51C usually. I'm also running it without the side panel on my case. It only happened once before but that was a different ****ty powersupply by a company called hipro.

I was running doom last night for about 6 hours straight and it didn't happen then, yet it happened when playing counter-strike?

Very strange. It's running fine right now though. I'm gonna go run a benchmark and see what happens.

EDIT: Well, got a 8288 on 3dmark03, which is normal for me. Who knows, maybe it was just some strange random occurence. :lame:

aAv7
08-22-04, 04:20 PM
Depending on what cpu you have 71C is hot. Too hot imo. Unless you have a prescott-that temp may be the reason for the re-boot.

Borealis
08-22-04, 04:39 PM
No, thoroughbred 2400 @ 2.0. Not overclocked. I guess that could've been it, just doesn't really seem THAT hot to shut it down.

Oh well...maybe it's time to look into some new watercooling equipment. It's one of those globalwin silentstreams, granted it's not top notch....but it does the job. Better then the factory cooling at least.