PDA

View Full Version : MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Riptide
08-22-04, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, mine is going back to Newegg. Due to the placement of the CPU socket on this motherboard I cannot install my X800XT with the Zalman ZM80D attached. We tried both the 7000CU and the Thermalright SLK948U. The Thermalright will almost make it but the wire brackets that hold the fan in place stick out far enough to interfere.

Now I don't know what to do... This board is out of the question now since I am not going to remove the ZM80D from my XT.

I am leaning towards the ASUS AV8 now if I can find a revision 2.0. I'll call Newegg tomorrow and see if I can setup an exchange.

Very disappointing... I hope PaiN has better luck than I have. I don't suspect he'll run into the same problem.

Sazar
08-22-04, 08:36 PM
ah that blows :(

are there are any other fan coolers that might fit better?

Riptide
08-22-04, 10:31 PM
Okies, we were actually able to get the thermalright to go on there OK and make it work. The Zalman 7000cu was a definite no-go with the Zalman ZM80D attached to my XT.

My head is unfortunately killing me right now so I think I'm going to head off to bed soon.

So far no serious problems but CPU temps are being reported high in the BIOS. 53-55c in the BIOS. I have no idea why that is...

|JuiceZ|
08-22-04, 10:44 PM
So far no serious problems but CPU temps are being reported high in the BIOS. 53-55c in the BIOS. I have no idea why that is...

Might wanna browse MSI forums for a bios update. Remember it took a few updates to fix thatame prob on the K8N Plat.

Riptide
08-22-04, 10:57 PM
There is another BIOS but temps don't show as a fixed item. I'll try it anyway but right now we have bigger problems. We can create a RAID array, it shows as healthy and striped 68GB like it should. We are loading the correct driver during F6 portion of setup and XP can see the drives but it keeps seeing them separately.

:confused:

PaiN
08-23-04, 05:33 AM
Just saw this thread....I'm assuming you went too bed after the RAID issue ;), So I won't bomb you with questions...
I'm doing construction on my house today, and wont get to the rebuild until tonight...
I'll check in before I start my nightmare......I have to try and get two separate RAID arrays built and make one bootable :retard: sould be a hella good time. Honest, this is the reason, I was iffy about getting the K8N in the first place... 4 SATA ports connected to the same controller.....

Good luck, Rip.....c ya soon

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 07:11 AM
There is another BIOS but temps don't show as a fixed item. I'll try it anyway but right now we have bigger problems. We can create a RAID array, it shows as healthy and striped 68GB like it should. We are loading the correct driver during F6 portion of setup and XP can see the drives but it keeps seeing them separately.

:confused:

Are you using the latest NVIDIA RAID drivers? I found these (http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html) - dunno if it will help you.

Riptide
08-23-04, 08:31 AM
OK, here's some more information for everyone. PaiN especially may find this helpful.

The RAID problem was solved. I needed to RTFM. It doesn't spell it out but you MUST install not only the RAID driver off the floppy but ALSO the nforce storage driver that's on the disk as well. BOTH of them must be installed or XP setup will see two separate drives. This is during blue screen part of setup.

Once you finally get into Windows you will forever be cursed with the little system try icon that shows removable hardware. Both of my WD drives show up in there, why I don't know. It's a software/design issue. Not a huge thing but it's kinda annoying to have that icon in my system tray all the time.

Hmm... what else. The first time I ran setup I disabled the "onboard giga lan" in the BIOS and left the Nvidia MAC LAN enabled. Well, if you do that, you won't have a network adapter show up in device manager once you're finished w/setup initially. I think the Nvidia MAC LAN is only for firewall functionality and is not meant to connect you directly to your existing router. So I disabled that and am running setup right now with the "onboard giga" enabled. This should give me a usable NIC in device manager/network connections.

One more bit of "errata". If you pay close attention to the diagram for the speaker and power LED connector (headers) you'll see that the manual has the diagram turned upside down. Not a big thing, but annoying...

Honestly so far the only thing that really has me puzzled is the temperature issue. I'll update the BIOS tonight and see if it helps but there's two possible problems here. For one, the board might have a temperature reporting problem (that is rare eh?). -OR- my enermax 90mm fan coupled with that thermalright SLK948U just isn't cutting the mustard cooling wise. I have to doubt the latter but at this point I don't know what to think. I will try and load their monitoring software and see what happens with temp reports in windows and I will also do some more research and see if this means anything or not.

I'll keep you posted, should have some time to play around with it more tonight.

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 09:15 AM
Honestly so far the only thing that really has me puzzled is the temperature issue. I'll update the BIOS tonight and see if it helps but there's two possible problems here. For one, the board might have a temperature reporting problem (that is rare eh?). -OR- my enermax 90mm fan coupled with that thermalright SLK948U just isn't cutting the mustard cooling wise. I have to doubt the latter but at this point I don't know what to think. I will try and load their monitoring software and see what happens with temp reports in windows and I will also do some more research and see if this means anything or not.

I'll keep you posted, should have some time to play around with it more tonight.

As I have the K8N Neo2 Platinum on order myself (selling my P4EE/IC7-MAX3 for more money) this information will be useful for me as well. I was browsing through the MSI forums this morning and there were a few threads about temperature reporting across all MSI Athlon 64 boards. From what I understand, MSI's own utility isn't the best at reporting temps. People are reporting better success with MBM 5 and/or the NVIDIA system utility. Rip, if I was you, I would use those programs before the one supplied by MSI.

Good luck and keep us posted on the onboard LAN thing. I'm going to need to know this information for this weekend when I go for a small LAN party. :)

Riptide
08-23-04, 10:40 AM
There are others @ the MSI forums having the same temperature reporting problem. Damnit, I had hoped they would have fixed that by now seeing as this board is so similar to the skt754 version which has been out for a while now.

I think it's time to invest in a probe. It's becoming painfully obvious that the majority of these manufacturers are really screwing up when it comes to their temperature monitoring. It's not just MSI. I don't know what their damn problem is but I'm getting sick and tired of this.

|JuiceZ|
08-23-04, 02:57 PM
The temp problem on the K8N Plat 2 should be fixed soon once they get a good bios out. Remember this isn't an MSI specific issue though but a problem that has plagued mb mfgr since the release of the newer core a64 procs. AMD made changes to the internal thermal cpu diode used to determine cpu temps & many mb mfgr are still working to adjust how their board reads & reports these temps.

IMO Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) is one of the best mb monitoring tools out there next to MBM.

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 03:02 PM
Speedfan is going to be the only choice since MBM has been discontinued.

Riptide
08-23-04, 05:08 PM
I know it isn't an MSI only problem but it is a problem that does seem to be gathering a bit of dust. It's not just AMD either, some Intel boards have had this come up.

Sazar
08-23-04, 05:31 PM
is there a new bios release for your board out there?

I haven't been to the msi forums in a while and I am still using rev 1.6 for my board (official is upto I believe 1.8) coz I haven't had any issues so far...

didn't know intel boards also had a temp report bug? you sure its not called prescott :confused:

:D

Riptide
08-23-04, 07:05 PM
My P4PE used to report high temps in the BIOS. The IC7 has had it's problems in that regard. There are others... Unfortunately this problem seems to get around quite a bit..

There is another BIOS out that I will probably go ahead and load. 1.1. Probably won't help with the temperature reporting judging by the experiences some of the people on the MSI forums are having. Oh well... They may fix it eventually.

The computer is almost done and now I need to do some testing with it. I'm going to install Prime soon. For some reason earlier I got BSOD in windows (IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN) if I had my RAM tight (2-2-2-10-1T) even with the voltage hiked up. That's kinda disappointing... Seems like loosening it up got it stable so I don't know if I'll be able to push my RAM good. I'll have to keep testing...

Sazar
08-23-04, 07:07 PM
wrt irq issue... fiddle round with your pci devices and try moving em to alternate slots... the issues I used to have with irq_less_than etc. were resolved with simple adjustment of where my pci cards were placed in my setup...

if this setup is as unstable as the previous one i think there is only one place left to point the finger :cool:

/me points @ rip and runs away

:angel:

Riptide
08-23-04, 07:16 PM
The last setup was just fine @ stock. Only when trying to o/c did it start to freak out. I'll move my Audigy out of slot 4 if I have to but that's a last resort ATM. I need to fiddle with it for a few hours before I know where I stand.

Honestly, it's probably just bad luck that won't go away. I am very careful when I install things.

camelot
08-23-04, 07:25 PM
Well, just got my Neo2 running and ive had a few headaches but it seems to be stable now. My level 2 mushkin 3500 didnt like 2-2-2-10 timings so i switched to 2-3-2-10 and now things seem good. I seem to recall 939 boards dont like 2-2-2 settings though.

System as in my sig, i get :

3D03 - 12311 using non beta drivers
sandra memory bandwidth - 5949/5882 @ 200FSB

Will tweak once things seem settled in and let you know more then :)

Riptide
08-23-04, 07:28 PM
That's funny you mention that... I'm trying to get my RAM stable right now with the same board and it's the exact same RAM you have. :)

Coincidence eh? I'll keep your experience in mind while I keep running my tests. Thanks!

BTW, some skt939 boards are OK w/2-2-2-10-1T. My Abit was alright with those settings as long as I juiced the RAM to 2.8v.

What RAM voltage are you using?

What temps are you getting in the BIOS btw?

Sorry about all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

camelot
08-23-04, 08:01 PM
Thats great we have almost exact systems to compare notes :)

Im running the ram at 2.85v, HTx5 and stock volts on the 3500. Im getting 28C motherboard and 42C proc temps in the bios at the moment - ive no idea how accurate that is but its lower than the 50C plus i see a lot of people have.

The 948 HS was fun to put on - took me ages to work it out; my 900A was a lot easier :)

Yes, i read some boards were running 2-2-2 but i think on mushkins site they said 2-3-2 was the best they could do on a A64 setup. I dont think its making much of a difference.

Oh, how do you set the ram divider? Ive seen people mention 5:4 but i dont see that in the 1.1 bios, unless its called something else.

camelot
08-23-04, 08:25 PM
Just ran 3d2001 for the hell of it and got 22406 at default settings!

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 08:32 PM
Lots of good information being shared here. It will definitely help when it's time to put mine together. My 3500+ should have shipped today and will arrive on Wednesday for assembly Wednesday night/Thursday morning. :thumbsup:

PaiN
08-23-04, 09:38 PM
I'm under way...Both RAID arrays are functional :) and XP is installing now.
So far so good..

Riptide
08-23-04, 09:41 PM
I have confirmed what camelot said. Memtest has over 2 hours of walltime into it right now w/no errors. 2-3-2-10-1T, 2.7v. If I run it at 2-2-2-10-1T it dies in 10 minutes, no matter what voltage.

Time to fire up Prime... I'll report back later and with photos assuming all goes well.

|JuiceZ|
08-23-04, 09:45 PM
I have confirmed what camelot said. Memtest has over 2 hours of walltime into it right now w/no errors. 2-3-2-10-1T, 2.7v. If I run it at 2-2-2-10-1T it dies in 10 minutes, no matter what voltage.

Time to fire up Prime... I'll report back later and with some photos.

:thumbsup: