PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Geforce4 TV-Out BUG!

halvdan
11-01-02, 01:10 PM
Hi!

Im having trouble with the TV-out on the Ti4200 cards. When I enable "clone mode" the picture get corrupted, both on the TV and on the Monitor. The corruption looks like two vertical stripes that appears to the right of every open window. In lower resolutions they are hardly visable, but in 1280x1024 they are easy to spot.

I have tried 3 different Geforce4 Ti4200 cards, a Leadtek Ti4200 64MB BULK, a Leadtek Ti4200 64MB RETAIL and a MSI Ti4200 64MB RETAIL, on two different computers. I used the 29.40, 30.82 and 40.72 drivers. The corruption always appeared. Even if I turned off hardware acceleration. The cards use different TV encoder chips. Leadtek use Conexant 25871 and MSI use Philips SAA7104E. Using PAL or NTSC didn't change anything either.

The only problem I can think of is that I used 10 meter cables. But that shouldn't affect my monitor output. There is no IRQ conflict or anything, and I have tried fresh installs of both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Am I the only one that have encountered this problem?

Best regards!
/halvdan

tweaked
11-01-02, 01:43 PM
i have found the tvout on my PNY (made by msi tho) gf4 ti4600 looks like total @$$ anyway. worse than my gf3 and WAY worse than my gf2...

i too have tried multiple cards. all crap.

i'll check clone mode this weekend and get back to you.

halvdan
11-02-02, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your reply tweaked!

I tried the 41.03 drivers and still got the same #% corruption.

The quality of the TV-output however when using the Conexant chip is pretty good. But the Philips chip really suck. If I use TV-tool I can get a better picture, but I don't wanna use any thirdparty software. Full TV-out support should be implemented in the drivers. And I get corruption in both cases anyway.

Is there no one else that uses his Geforce4 for TV-out while running high resolutions on the monitor?

/halvdan

OliverRedfox
11-04-02, 01:20 AM
I've run mine at 800x600 up to 1280x1024 on both monitor and tv at the same time. Anything bigger then 1024x768 and it scrolls the screen around with the mouse on the tv out. My card uses the Phillips chip and I don't have any problems with corruptions. It's a Abit Siluro GF4 Ti 4200.

A 10 meter cable seems kinda long. RF interference could be making its way through the cable and interfering with the monitor output also. If you turn on clone mode and then disconnect the video cable from the back of your card(need it connected for Nview to detect the tv) does the image on your computer monitor clear up? If it does, you know the tv video cable was causing interference. If not, I don't know what to say.

(Oh yeah, I've run it with a regular video cable and s-video, both look good)

halvdan
11-04-02, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your reply OliverRedfox!

I unplugged the cable after I enabled Clone mode, but the picture on the Monitor doesn't improve anything. So I guess it isn't the cable that is causing interference.

However, sometimes I can't see any corruption when TV-out is enabled, but the next time I activate it, it's there again.. Very strange.

/halvdan

OliverRedfox
11-05-02, 01:16 AM
Okay, a couple more questions. You said you tried the cards on two different computer systems. Did you use the same monitor on both systems? I'm assuming they were different monitors, but I can't think of many things to cause the problem. And you don't use a VGA extension cable, it was only the rca video that was 10 meters right?

Is there anything in your room that could be putting out RF interference? FAX machine, stereo system, vcr? A friend of mine had to unplug his cable box from the wall whenever he used TV out or his TV would look screwed up (didn't affect his monitor). And another used to get wavy lines on his monitor from his fax machine (weak shielding in it). It might not be anything like this, just trying to toss some ideas out.

halvdan
11-05-02, 02:58 AM
Thanks for your reply OliverRedfox.

The other computer I tried on was at a friend, everything but the graphic card was different, not the same cable, monitor and so on. So the only thing I can think of that causes this is the card. I don't use a VGA extension cable, just a 10 meter S-VHS cable. My Friend had a pretty long composite cable.

Both me and my friend has a Matrox G400 card. With this card there are no problems whatsoever with the TV-out, the output is perfect on both monitor and TV, but it really sucks in 3D..

I guess I'll just wait for a bios update or something to fix this. I tried the Abit Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB bios on the card, but it didn't make any difference.

Tonight I will move the computer to the TV and use a short cable instead, just to make sure it isn't the cables.

/halvdan

tweaked
11-05-02, 12:08 PM
Ok, i finally tested it on my system...

looks great here ( as great as it ever look, cr@p tvout)

last time i had an issue like thast it was my agp settings in my bios...

play with those a bunch if you havent already.

other than that i am buggered.

halvdan
11-11-02, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I finally borrowed a digital camera from a friend and made some screenshots of my corruption problem. I also moved the computer to the TV and used a 1 meter S-VHS cable, with the same result. So I guess it isn't a cable thing. I also installed the new 40.72 WHQL which didn't result in any improvement. Here comes two monitor screenshots when TV-out is enabled:

http://i98daned.island.liu.se/corruption1.jpg

http://i98daned.island.liu.se/corruption2.jpg

Is there no one with the same problem?

/halvdan