PDA

View Full Version : Amusing article from The Inquirer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

poppachocks
08-23-04, 10:06 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18029

This was posted at hardforums, but the thread was immediately closed as the poster had a few comments about it.

I know it's potential flamebait, but it is information (depending on how you feel about anything coming from the Inquirer :rolleyes: )

Please try to keep it civil....

mustrum
08-23-04, 10:32 AM
I honestly believ that inquirer links should instaban people.
I've yet to see something good comming from that site.
:lame:

Ice Nine
08-23-04, 10:32 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18029

This was posted at hardforums, but the thread was immediately closed as the poster had a few comments about it.

I know it's potential flamebait, but it is information (depending on how you feel about anything coming from the Inquirer :rolleyes: )

Please try to keep it civil....

A lot of it is just common sense.

I was on the ATI side of the fence through the 9800 series. I had even preordered both an x800xt (which fried a day after I got it), but settled on the 6800U.

Yes, the ATI benched "a little faster" in some things. But for me, it was about having the features the ATI didn't have. The key quote I see in that article is:

As the games start coming out that use PS3.0, and people start looking for those checkboxes, one company will be there. OEMs know this, and buy accordingly. That is where the money is, and it is where ATI isn't and won't be. The last time someone missed like this badly, it took Nvidia about 2 years to recover, and 3DFx never did. I'm not intoning anything here, simply stating it, just watch and see.

While I don't think ATI will "never recover" (they certainly will), I do think it will take them that proverbial year to catch up. And I agree the SLI angle gives nvidia the clear leadership for the next year as well.

Nvidia got it right this time around. That couldn't be more clear.

poppachocks
08-23-04, 11:02 AM

I see. So anything posted that might show either company in an unfavorable light, should result in the poster being banned. :rolleyes: (Or is it just anything that is Anti-ATI?) I noticed that you are a long time member at Rage.

What about the NV "cheating" thread? That was pure speculation, but I didn't see any bans coming from that.

If I had posted this at Rage, I'm sure I would have been banned.

I didn't write the article, or give my opinion on it. I simply provided a link.
If you disagree with some or all of it, then that's your right. Give others a chance to express themselves as well.

MUYA
08-23-04, 11:05 AM

...and I provide quite a few links ...maybe a few each day in my roundups? I should be banned?

Clay
08-23-04, 11:08 AM
:lame:I honestly believe that we'll never ban someone simply for posting a link to the Inq. Thank you and please drive through.

Ice Nine
08-23-04, 11:09 AM
I see. So anything posted that might show either company in an unfavorable light, should result in the poster being banned. :rolleyes: (Or is it just anything that is Anti-ATI?) I noticed that you are a long time member at Rage.

What about the NV "cheating" thread? That was pure speculation, but I didn't see any bans coming from that.

If I had posted this at Rage, I'm sure I would have been banned.

I didn't write the article, or give my opinion on it. I simply provided a link.
If you disagree with some or all of it, then that's your right. Give others a chance to express themselves as well.

So much for keeping it civil.

Can't you guys stay on topic? :)

ragejg
08-23-04, 11:13 AM
Inq stories have credibility at times, and some of the commentary offers refreshing angles on this industry...

that article stated the obvious, and basically put the past few months down on a webpage... IMO the war wages on as it should, with the consumer as the winner. :thumbsup:

poppachocks
08-23-04, 11:13 AM
So much for keeping it civil.

Can't you guys stay on topic? :)

Sorry...just confirming what I suspected. I wasn't bashing anybody. Just stating a fact.

Azzkikr1337
08-23-04, 11:14 AM
I would agree with that article when I read it. But when talking to ATI fanboys exactly like that, the arguement I got was "So, ATI has SM2.0b to counter with SM3.0 and they are just as fast", and HL2 has a better gameplay than doom3. Even the new Counter-strike source will be ported to HL2. I eventually got tired of arguing with that user on irc who ONLY had a 9800 pro (wtf, no x800) while I was using the 6800GT. Some people just won't learn.

poppachocks
08-23-04, 11:24 AM
I would agree with that article when I read it. But when talking to ATI fanboys exactly like that, the arguement I got was "So, ATI has SM2.0b to counter with SM3.0 and they are just as fast", and HL2 has a better gameplay than doom3. Even the new Counter-strike source will be ported to HL2. I eventually got tired of arguing with that user on irc who ONLY had a 9800 pro (wtf, no x800) while I was using the 6800GT. Some people just won't learn.

Interesting he mentioned "better gameplay" for a game that hasn't been released yet (and no playable demo). I hope HL2 lives up to the hype when it finally is released. I remember the same arguments on the Far Cry forums before Doom3. "Doom 3 will blow Far Cry away!" (That sort of thing)

thylantyr
08-23-04, 11:24 AM
The article is a good summary of recent events.

mustrum
08-23-04, 11:33 AM
Hehe i think my statement was badly expressed. I was not serious about it. I only wanted to state what i think of the inquirer. Sorry about my bad expression. If i see inquirer link i go mad. :ORDER:
About the nvidia is cheating thread over at Rage: I know that thread and i think it's bullcrap. How would nvidia cheat for a game that isn't even released? No way!
There is anomalies with the benchmark on some nvidia cards. That's a given. Fact is not all users get this so it's most likely a driver bug that will be fixed before the game is out.

yes i am a long time r age3d poster and if you saw some of my post you'd know that i often reccomend nvidia cards as well. ATI has nothing to compete with in the 300$ sector. The x800 PRO is overpriced. The x800 PRO VIVO should come with factory unlocked 16 pipes and be as expensive as a GT.

I think that the current ATI cards are still damn fast and good cards. I never post stuff like ATI OWNS nvidia though since it's the most stupid comment one can make. The cards are all so damn close to eachother right now noone could say one card owns the other. (Well the GT somwhat owns the x800 PRO but the difference is still small)

Edit:
:udawg: @ the poster above.

DarthBinky
08-23-04, 11:34 AM
That was an entertaining read. It reminded me of what I was thinking at first when the all the fanboy-isms were flying back and forth during the launch of both products. I remember thinking about the 3Dfx vs. nVidia battle where nVidia, while struggling to match 3Dfx in performance, kept pushing the features (32-bit color and so on). People took notice and started jumping over to nVidia's side while 3Dfx would wave their hands in the air and shout, "no, look over here...new features are overrated...speed is all that matters".

Clay
08-23-04, 11:36 AM
Hehe i think my statement was badly expressed. I was not serious about it. I only wanted to state what i think of the inquirer. Sorry about my bad expression.
NP :cool: I also find the Inq to be pretty questionable at times but it is also correct at times. Either way, it is entertaining news most of the time. :)

poppachocks
08-23-04, 11:42 AM
Hehe i think my statement was badly expressed. I was not serious about it. I only wanted to state what i think of the inquirer. Sorry about my bad expression. If i see inquirer link i go mad. :ORDER:
About the nvidia is cheating thread over at Rage: I know that thread and i think it's bullcrap. How would nvidia cheat for a game that isn't even released? No way!
There is anomalies with the benchmark on some nvidia cards. That's a given. Fact is not all users get this so it's most likely a driver bug that will be fixed before the game is out.

yes i am a long time r age3d poster and if you saw some of my post you'd know that i often reccomend nvidia cards as well. ATI has nothing to compete with in the 300$ sector. The x800 PRO is overpriced. The x800 PRO VIVO should come with factory unlocked 16 pipes and be as expensive as a GT.

I think that the current ATI cards are still damn fast and good cards. I never post stuff like ATI OWNS nvidia though since it's the most stupid comment one can make. The cards are all so damn close to eachother right now noone could say one card owns the other. (Well the GT somwhat owns the x800 PRO but the difference is still small)

Edit:
:udawg: @ the poster above.

That's cool. I agree that some of the stuff the Inquirer posts is pure drivel (hence my statement in the very first post). No hard feelings on this end.
I have been reading the stuff at Rage for quite a while, and just recently joined up. I was somewhat disappointed that one of the mods there referred to some of the pro-nvidia folks there as "Nvidiots". When I questioned this, I was told to "get over it" and that since I was a new member, I didn't really know what was going on. Didn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. :)

mustrum
08-23-04, 11:53 AM
That's cool. I agree that some of the stuff the Inquirer posts is pure drivel (hence my statement in the very first post). No hard feelings on this end.
I have been reading the stuff at Rage for quite a while, and just recently joined up. I was somewhat disappointed that one of the mods there referred to some of the pro-nvidia folks there as "Nvidiots". When I questioned this, I was told to "get over it" and that since I was a new member, I didn't really know what was going on. Didn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. :)
Hehe yeah nvidiot is a common word still. It's not nice and shouldn't be used anymore i guess. :angel2: It's back from the time when people tried to convince us how their 5800 ULTRAS own the 9700 PRO.
To defend the mods a bit. There's lots of nvidia wfans over there doing nothing else but posting stuff like this in any thread: BWAHAHAHA your x800 XT Pe is crap. My 6800 GT owns j00 crappy card in Doom3. ATI is the suck!

When you read that all the time everyday you tend to get a tad agressive.

DivotMaker
08-23-04, 12:03 PM
I found the article to be extremely biased and misleading in many respects. I am a fan of BOTH nV and ATI and I get extremely aggravated when I see such slanted commentary passed off as "fact". In fact, this "article" lost all credibility with me when I saw the following sentence in the 3rd paragraph...

To paraphrase Yoda, intrigued I was. Really intrigued. Especially when ATI was first out of the gate, and the numbers showed a little advantage for ATI.

He does not even know who launched first! I take issue with many of his comments, but frankly it is not worth my time to debate them with anyone as the article left me with the feeling that this was an intentional, yet very unnecessary rape job on ATI. This is a perfect example of FUD in many respects....... :rolleyes:

vitocorleone
08-23-04, 12:05 PM
"People took notice and started jumping over to nVidia's side while 3Dfx would wave their hands in the air and shout, "no, look over here...new features are overrated...speed is all that matters"."

Loss of long-term memory or just being selective? This is also what happened with nvidia (speed is what matters most) and ati (features matter most). At this point the companies seem pretty much equal in their greed. If ATI has ps3 in their next gen card, then there'll be no harm no foul as far as consumers go as long as it performs close to nvidia's ps3. As to OEMs buying hardware - well, it doesn't matter if nvidia has ps3 or not. What matters is how successful either company is at marketing their product to the OEMs and the deals they cut to get the OEMs to buy their products and issue press releases.

PS - "He does not even know who launched first!" There's "launched" first and then there's "available" first.

poppachocks
08-23-04, 12:07 PM
Hehe yeah nvidiot is a common word still. It's not nice and shouldn't be used anymore i guess. :angel2: It's back from the time when people tried to convince us how their 5800 ULTRAS own the 9700 PRO.
To defend the mods a bit. There's lots of nvidia wfans over there doing nothing else but posting stuff like this in any thread: BWAHAHAHA your x800 XT Pe is crap. My 6800 GT owns j00 crappy card in Doom3. ATI is the suck!

When you read that all the time everyday you tend to get a tad agressive.

I don't mind when the user population uses those terms (it's kinda expected)
But I feel moderators should try to be a little more objective. And it's not all the mods there either.

I haven't really seen the kind of posts there you are referring to. Maybe they got closed? I agree that juvenile stuff like that (whether here or there) should be removed. It serves no purpose other than to incite a "riot"

Anyways, it's a moot point for me, as I probably won't be posting there anymore. I'll let someone else represent the loyal oppostion. :)

OWA
08-23-04, 12:33 PM
It's nice to see a pro-nvidia type article for a change. A lot of sites seem to be controlled by ATI so this is a refreshing change of pace. ATI does seem to be in high-FUD gear these days and I think a lot of it is because of the things he mentions in the article. I'm just surprised he wrote it. :) I'm sure an ATI PR guy will soon demand a retraction though or at least ask nvnews to remove this link and thread.

Anyway, I enjoyed the article for what he said but I don't look forward to the aftermath. Things are heated enough already and it seems like daily now that something else occurs that brings out the fans from both sides in full force.

DivotMaker
08-23-04, 12:40 PM
I'm just surprised he wrote it. :) I'm sure an ATI PR guy will soon demand a retraction though or at least ask nvnews to remove this link and thread.

I doubt it very seriously. I can probably capture ATI's general reaction to this article, considering the source...

:rolleyes:

OWA
08-23-04, 12:51 PM
Heh, you mean you don't think they'll be losing any sleep over this article? :) Heh, you're probably right.

DivotMaker
08-23-04, 01:04 PM
Heh, you mean you don't think they'll be losing any sleep over this article? :) Heh, you're probably right.

Exactly :thumbsup:

rellingsen
08-23-04, 01:06 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the author but it's nice to see a pro nv article for a change. Both companies have great cards this round but I was getting tired of seeing a lot of negative NV crap lately. Lately in forums I have been seeing people claiming NV is cheating with the smallest difference in IQ without even considering it could be a bug. Kind of shoot first, ask questions later type attacks. I can understand some people's reasons for being suspect but it's getting ridiculous.