PDA

View Full Version : GAH! 6800 Not compatible with XP Home?

bluesterak84
08-23-04, 10:02 AM
Modright 500w psu
NEC DVD-R
2 Maxtor HDD's
BFG 6800NU OC
Abit Av8 K8t800 pro
Athlon 64 3500+

Ok so my bfg 6800 nu was working fine with my computer (XP home sp2) when i left MD to go to college in NY. When I get to my house I boot up the machine and the screen 'loses signal' about halfway thru the windows logo screen. I pull the card and put it in my buddies computer (lower power then mine) boots up fine!

When i use the default vga drivers I can boot into windows fine, its only using nvidia drivers that it boots and then loses signal. It was working FINE when I left my house this doesnt make any sense. I had the same problem with the same card before (but that card NEVER worked with the nvidia drivers). So I returned it and got the same card, thinking maybe it was defective, dropped the new card in (new card being the one i have now) and it booted fine with the drivers! Why isnt it working anymore? Right now I am using a Ti4200 while I try to resolve this issue so i can use my 6800 again, PLEASE HELP!!

Lfctony
08-23-04, 10:36 AM
Its not incompatible since it was working fine. Something went wrong with your windows installation. Try driver cleaner and then reinstall your 6800 drivers.

superklye
08-23-04, 10:47 AM
Here, send me your card. I'll take a look at it for you. :) ;)

Nandro
08-23-04, 10:49 AM
Or make sure the card is getting enough power.

superklye
08-23-04, 11:02 AM
Or make sure the card is getting enough power.

No, I'm pretty sure if he sent it to me, everything would be better...

Hellion
08-23-04, 12:59 PM
No, I'm pretty sure if he sent it to me, everything would be better...

OMG :lol2: (bud)

your ****ing persisant.

ynnek
08-23-04, 01:13 PM
sound slike something physically is wrong, since nothing has really changed, except the physical move of your computer.. make sure everything inside is still plugged in snug.. wierd things can happen during a move..

also, the driver cleaner + new vid driver install isn't a bad sanity check either..

bluesterak84
08-24-04, 09:29 AM
Are XP Home and XP Pro really that different tho? To make a card NOT work? I thought the major difference between the two was just networking stuff.

As for something being physically wrong I find it hard to settle on that as the solution becuase the card works fine in my friends computer just not in mine. Also, other cards work fine in my computer so it cant be a mobo problem.

After about an hour on the tech support line with BFG (free for life) somehow I got it to boot to windows using the 6800 drivers, but after letting the comp sit for like 5min (went downstairs for a drink) I come back, it freezes, the the monitor loses signal (comp stil running fine tho, just no signal).

So I call BFG again and they claim I need Direct X 9.0c to make it work, so since i dont have internet in my house yet I am here at school right now d/ling and burning dx9c to a disc. I will keep you all updated, but please give me more suggestions becuase I HIGHLY doubt directx 9c will make it magically work....

Thanks Again!

GamerGuyX
08-24-04, 09:49 AM
Well I can guarantee you that is not Windows XP Home Edition itself causing the problem. Because their isn't much of a difference at all with Home Edition and Professional that would cause something such as a video card not working.

EDIT: Oh and I myself had my Geforce 6800 working with XP Home Edition until I upgraded to Pro.

superklye
08-24-04, 12:50 PM
OMG :lol2: (bud)

your ****ing persisant.

I was joking. I wanted his card so I could sell it.

Goth
08-24-04, 05:44 PM
I currenlty running by BFG 6800 Ultra on XP home with no problems

Hellion
08-24-04, 10:06 PM
I was joking. I wanted his card so I could sell it.

I know, thats what was funny. (spit)

bluesterak84
08-26-04, 01:24 PM
i still cant get the card working wqith my system. I put the Ti4200 in and using the exact same drivers (61.77) it boots up fine. I am going to take this card back to BestBuy tomorrow and exchange it for yet another (this will be my third) 6800OC, hopefully it will work this time since I am out of options and BFG tech support is stumped.

ynnek
08-26-04, 01:50 PM
did u try removing the drivers before you installed the 6800, install the 6800, and reinstall the drivers?

911medic
08-26-04, 03:11 PM
I was going to suggest that maybe your AGP slot was damaged by the weight of the card during the move, but if your Ti4200 is working maybe not.

Sir Random
08-26-04, 04:55 PM
i still cant get the card working wqith my system. I put the Ti4200 in and using the exact same drivers (61.77) it boots up fine. I am going to take this card back to BestBuy tomorrow and exchange it for yet another (this will be my third) 6800OC, hopefully it will work this time since I am out of options and BFG tech support is stumped.If it works in your mate's PC, then I'd say it's probably your PSU, even though it's rated 500w.
Can you try wiring up your mobo/card with your mate's PSU?

bluesterak84
08-27-04, 03:18 PM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers about 100 times now, and I have used driver cleaner to erase any trace of them. I have even done the format..install multiple times. Still does the same ole thing

As for the PSU being bad/too weak, it is a pretty good psu, the ModRight Xconnect, I doubt its the cause. Especially since the psu in my buddies is an antec 380W which is barely even enough to run the card (350 recommended) and he has 2 cd drives and a Hdd on it so how could his psu make any difference? Is 380 even enough to run a athlon64 3500?

If 380 is enough for the athlon 64 ill try it but i dont want to damage my brand new cpu!

Please HELP!