PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor setup + Doom 3 = Slideshow

Bumrush
08-23-04, 11:07 AM
Guys, I know this is a known issue, is their any fix? I convinced a friend of mine to make the switch over to Nvidia, but he uses dual display and is about to return the card because he can not have it enabled and run games at the same time. Please advise asap, otherwise he is going to the X800.

superklye
08-23-04, 11:13 AM
christ. we've talked about this many times (and this is the wrong forum anyway): go into the card settings and change OpenGL to being single monitor only.

mezkal
08-23-04, 11:24 AM
I completely disagree with this summation. I have a Dual screen setup using an Leadtek FX 5900XT 128MB in PANNED mode. My Desktop resolution is 3200x1200 and I've played DOOM3 from beginning too end @ 1600x1200 one my first monitor while the rest of my desktop is displayed on the second. Admittedly it's not as smooth as 1024x768 one ONE screen with the other disabled, but it's certainly no slide show. The game generally runs @ 30fps or higher. Infact the frame rate only drops to the teens (12 infact) in the intro to the last battl (as the camera passes between the legs of the Cyberdemon). So if your friend is running a card like the 6800GT (which I suspect coz you refer to the X800) I fail too see how it could be slower.

I was running driverset 62.01 at the time. I also tried the exact same setup with 65.62.

Please detail his specs as I'd like to see how it runs so slowly.

gid
08-23-04, 11:51 AM
I had this same problem with my 6800GT, it was driving me nuts. It's a driver bug.

There's an article on tomshardware explaining it here (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html)

mezkal
08-23-04, 12:08 PM
Either the 6800 has really poor Spanned performance or people aren't using NVIEW's spanned mode. Using the Windows default *Extended Desktop* (read : Dualview) is probably the issue. Of course unless you actually have two of the same monitors, SPANNED mode isn't really much of an option.

superklye
08-23-04, 12:08 PM
I had this same problem with my 6800GT, it was driving me nuts. It's a driver bug.

There's an article on tomshardware explaining it here (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html)

Yup. I never had a problem with dual monitor mode until I got the GT and then it went to hell. Setting it to single display or even disabling the second monitor while gaming will fix the problem.

Lezmaka
08-23-04, 12:53 PM
I completely disagree with this summation. I have a Dual screen setup using an Leadtek FX 5900XT 128MB in PANNED mode. My Desktop resolution is 3200x1200 and I've played DOOM3 from beginning too end @ 1600x1200 one my first monitor while the rest of my desktop is displayed on the second. Admittedly it's not as smooth as 1024x768 one ONE screen with the other disabled, but it's certainly no slide show. The game generally runs @ 30fps or higher. Infact the frame rate only drops to the teens (12 infact) in the intro to the last battl (as the camera passes between the legs of the Cyberdemon). So if your friend is running a card like the 6800GT (which I suspect coz you refer to the X800) I fail too see how it could be slower.

I was running driverset 62.01 at the time. I also tried the exact same setup with 65.62.

Please detail his specs as I'd like to see how it runs so slowly.

The problem is only with the Dualview mode, not spanned or any other mode.

superklye
08-23-04, 12:55 PM
The problem is only with the Dualview mode, not spanned or any other mode.

is Dualview where the monitors both show the same thing, becuase if so, you are wrong. I have mine set up as an extended desktop and was experiencing the performance problems.

Lezmaka
08-23-04, 01:16 PM
is Dualview where the monitors both show the same thing, becuase if so, you are wrong. I have mine set up as an extended desktop and was experiencing the performance problems.

Clone mode is where both monitors show the same thing. Span mode basically combines the monitors and Windows and applications generally only see it as one big monitor. Dualview let's you choose different resolutions/etc for each monitor and are seen by Windows and applications as separate monitors.

The problem only shows up when you use the Dualview mode, not in Clone or Span.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7649&stc=1

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html
- Users running their PC in Dual Display configuration with a NVIDIA 6800 card will face low FPS and drops down to 3-4FPS in some areas of Doom III. But there's a way to fix it.

We've discovered a driver bug with NVIDIAs current drivers v61.76/61x77 in Doom III (we did not test with older drivers yet). It causes a performance drops down to 3FPS in certain parts of a level and a lower overall FPS, when your GeForce 6800 is running with multiple displays in dual view mode - and only on systems running in dual display mode!! If you have only one display attached, everything should be fine! We did not test yet if other cards are also affected.

The only thing is that it doesn't just affect Doom 3. As far as I can tell, the bug affects all OpenGL games/programs, just not nearly as much as it affects Doom 3.

superklye
08-23-04, 03:44 PM
Ah, okay, Dual View is what I do then. I wasn't sure about the naming conventions they used and I wasn't on my PC at the time. Thanks for the clarification :)