PDA

View Full Version : In games like Painkiller do you use the games built in AA or Control Panel

SigmaOrionis
08-23-04, 01:31 PM
I also notice that Doom3 you can either set AA and AF in the CP or in the game with console commands. Does it make a difference in looks or performance or is it just two different ways to achieve the same result?

Right now in Painkiller I'm using 4xAA 8xAF in CP, with Multisampling in the game set to none. Should I set to app pref and turn it on in the game?

Thanks to all who reply.

OWA
08-23-04, 01:35 PM
For Doom 3 you should set it with the game settings or console commands since you'll get a little better performance than setting it through the CP. Basically, if the game supports the settings I want to use, I use the game to set it. If it doesn't, I use the CP to force it (if possible).

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 02:08 PM
I use in-game settings myself. I keep Painkiller AA set to 4x in the game, but I force 8x AF through the control panel because the only filtering options the game supports are bi/trilinear.

rewt
08-23-04, 03:05 PM
Forceware 66 has very nice application profiles features. You can set each particular game with different grafix settings, eliminating the need to adjust your settings again each time you play a certain game. I haven't had any issues forcing the settings through the control panel. Far Cry is the only game I know you need to leave AA and AF application controlled and set the settings in-game or thru the config file.

saturnotaku
08-23-04, 03:15 PM
Whenever a game has the option for FSAA, I've never had success in getting the NVIDIA drivers to overwrite it. Serious Sam, Far Cry and Painkiller are at least three examples off the top of my head. I always have to set those games from within the application. Same deal with AF and the first two games I mentioned. Setting it through the drivers does jack for me. It's not a big deal to me, but I know with my ATI cards, the driver would always override what was in the game.

rewt
08-23-04, 04:11 PM
Seems to works both ways for me, on most games. For example, If I were to set AA in game, driver will still let me force it OFF. If I set AA in driver, game WON'T let me force it OFF. I know thats not exactly a real world scenerio, but just gives an example of how the driver is supposed to work, and does in most cases. But not all. So theoretically you should always use the in-game settings if possible.

SigmaOrionis
08-23-04, 04:46 PM
Thanks Everyone,

Do any of you notice any visual differences between 4x CP or 4x In Game? Do applications use different algorithms then the drivers or are the sampling methods pretty standard as long as there both Multisampling?

If games support say a 6x multisampling mode like the ATI drivers have will this make up for the Nvidia drivers not supporting it in the Control Panel?

rewt
08-23-04, 08:11 PM
If games support say a 6x multisampling mode like the ATI drivers have will this make up for the Nvidia drivers not supporting it in the Control Panel?

nVidia doesn't put all of its AA settings in the control panel. These are most of the AA modes the recent nV drivers support.

2 x 1
1 x 2
2 x 2
2x
Quincunx
4x RGMS
4x OGMS
4x 9-tap
4xS
6x
6xS
8x