PDA

View Full Version : My Artic Cooler 5 Review

rancid
08-23-04, 01:57 PM
Well, I don't post much here but I read the forums every day. I decided to get the artic cooler for my 6800 GT EVGA, even though I heard it made little difference.

A briefy summary I have an Athlon 64 3000+ oc'd to 3400 levels, GT is oc'd 401/1073 (cant get any higher without performance loss.) Cooling on cpu is usually 58 under load, and 74ish with stock GT cooler. Idle I was seeing 39C on cpu and about 57-58 on the GT.

I swapped to a Thermalright 948U with a 92mm Tornado Fan and of course the Artic Cooler 5. Temps under full load are now 52 CPU and drum roll.. 60-62 MAX on the GT. Idle I am seeing 36C on the cpu and 52 on the GT! I let Unreal 2k4 run for an hr and it never went over 62c. This, in my opinion, is largely due to the artic silver 5 I put on the memory b/c the stock "thermal pads" are complete and utter CRAP. I can't believe EVGA used those things.. I have not tried to oc anymore, but I plan on giving this baby some more volts and try to at least hit ultra levels now on the memory.

I did have a Vantec card cooler in front of the Artic Cooler 5 and my temps were hovering around 64-65 so I decided to remove it, and move my sound card down one pci slot and lo-and-behold my temps dropped 2-4 overall. I was kind of shocked because the Vantec card was previously making a huge difference, but not the case here.

I got my Artic Cooler here: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html and received it in 1 day. These guys are awsome and I cannot recommend them enough.

Installation took basically 10 min, a large part was cleaning the *CRAP* white "paste" off of the memory and gpu core.

If anybody has any questions feel free to hit me up.

mustrum
08-23-04, 02:19 PM
After your silencer installation the vantec card most likely only interfered with the silencers airflow.
Sounds like the nvidia owners finally got their great cooler now as well.
Still waiting for my ATI silencer 4 myself wich gives quite similar results on ATI cards. (temp drop)
Arctic Cooling rocks! :headbang:

Blacklash
08-23-04, 02:24 PM
One question. Did the Rev 5 cooler allow you to increase your max overclock?

rancid
08-23-04, 05:39 PM
I got 30 more mhz on the memory I am now 401/1103 with no problems at all. My 3dmark scores went up about 500 marks with just this increase! I tried to push it higher and while the temps stayed LOW, the card would have the "pause issue." I am going to throw some more volts at it later and try to hit 425/1120 if possible. I am very happy with this thing.

hypertek
08-23-04, 06:27 PM
awww its out of stock now.. good enough review for me to order it. hopefully its a big improvement over this new bfg cooler..

hypertek
08-23-04, 06:28 PM
any idea if it may be the same as the galaxy glacier?

Blacklash
08-23-04, 06:31 PM
Rancid did they resolve the issue with the Ultras? Supposedly it didn't mount well. I might give one a whirl with AS-5 on the ram/core.

Pausing could mean you need more volts or you maybe getting near its limit.

The default cooler on the ultra is good actually but I want to vent that heat outside my case. Not dump it inside like it is now.

EDIT: Crikey Newegg is charging 54 dollars for that thing. It isn't in stock though. I love their service but that price sucks.

jAkUp
08-23-04, 07:07 PM
I ordered mine from frozen CPU as well.. that is my favorite site to order from, only problem is I live on the other side of the country, so shipping can be kinda expensive sometimes.... But frozen CPU is awesome... best site on the planet :)

A question... what do I use to clean off the thermal adhesive that is alredy on the memory/gpu?

SiD9095
08-23-04, 08:01 PM
hey guys i just got a silencer 5 for my 6800 i have a question?

what are thermal pads do you guys use them instead of that white paste that comes with it?

or are they somthing else?

if so where do i get them and should i put one on my cpu cooler also? right now i just have arctic 5 stuff on it then the cpu cooler right on top. same with the silencer i just have that paste stuff on it.

hypertek
08-23-04, 08:28 PM
you shouldnt worry about the thermal pads, they are on the stock memory heatsinks and you remove them when you pull the heatsinks off.

Woodelf
08-23-04, 08:54 PM
I'd like to see a comparrison done on the memory of an ultra.
First: stock cooler with as on core and mem.
Second: arctic silencer 5 with AS on the core and mem.
Only because I suspect that the pads are holding the heat in the memory with the stock cooler. Also that (on and ultra) the arctic silencer 5's copper plate might transfer more heat to the mem from the GPU causing less overclockability than by just replacing the thermal pads with AS.
I don't really suspect this with the GT's because of the size of the original cooler. :)

rancid
08-23-04, 08:58 PM
I was a little scared of the mounting b/c you dont use the stock backplate. I at first mounted it using the backplate then did it without and saw no real difference so I left it off. I used a pair of pliars to tighten the nuts and it made a world of difference, drawing the card closer to the cooler. I also applied a *GOOD* amount of Artic Silver 5 to the memory to help it "stick" to the cooler. There was no visible gap anywhere.

I did not get a chance to flash the bios but I did get the core to 415/1100 and gained another 100 marks in 3dmark03. God this is great :)

I did not use the standard white paste that came with it, I used artic silver 5. You remove the white pads if they are even on the memory chips (mine were stuck to the cooler) and clean the memory chips good before applying the new thermal paste.

For some reason the card is running 57C while running 3DMark03! Earlier today it was in the 60's, not it doesnt budge from 57C and drops immediately to 52C after its done. I tried this with UT2K4 and it went between 58-59C and never over so I assume the thermal paste got more "settled."

Def. pick one of these up guys, if you don't plan on doing water cooling its well worth it even if you can't OC more. Overall my entire computer is running cooler b/c of this thing.

Blacklash
08-23-04, 09:38 PM
I was a little scared of the mounting b/c you dont use the stock backplate. I at first mounted it using the backplate then did it without and saw no real difference so I left it off. I used a pair of pliars to tighten the nuts and it made a world of difference, drawing the card closer to the cooler. I also applied a *GOOD* amount of Artic Silver 5 to the memory to help it "stick" to the cooler. There was no visible gap anywhere.

I did not get a chance to flash the bios but I did get the core to 415/1100 and gained another 100 marks in 3dmark03. God this is great :)

I did not use the standard white paste that came with it, I used artic silver 5. You remove the white pads if they are even on the memory chips (mine were stuck to the cooler) and clean the memory chips good before applying the new thermal paste.

For some reason the card is running 57C while running 3DMark03! Earlier today it was in the 60's, not it doesnt budge from 57C and drops immediately to 52C after its done. I tried this with UT2K4 and it went between 58-59C and never over so I assume the thermal paste got more "settled."

Def. pick one of these up guys, if you don't plan on doing water cooling its well worth it even if you can't OC more. Overall my entire computer is running cooler b/c of this thing.

Sounds good. Soon as Frozen gets some back in I will.

Mojoe
08-24-04, 05:49 AM
Just got mine, and my card still hates 1,4v. Guess it has to do with only one molex. But so fare stabel at 425/1100, havent maxed out my mem yet.

rancid
08-24-04, 01:45 PM
416/1125 appears to be my limit with 1.3v. If I push the memory harder it will start to pause frequently, and if I up the core it will get bad artifacting. Heat is not the issue here, it remains 58C even after looping 3dmark several times. I assume it is a voltage issue but I am pretty content with this thing and see no reason to oc it anymore. Before the artic cooler max oc I could get was 401/1073.

Bigfat
08-24-04, 05:11 PM
Sound difference? As well as case temp difference are the two things I'm most interested in.

Woodelf
08-24-04, 05:26 PM
. Before the artic cooler max oc I could get was 401/1073.
I was just wondering if this score was after replacing the grease that came with it ?.
I hear they put it on pretty thick (mem). :)

bubbafish
08-25-04, 02:58 AM
Stock BFG cooler (the new one with the two fans):
Idle: 66C
Load: 88C (using rthdribl in window)

NV5 Silencer w/ Artic Silver 5 paste (first installation):
Idle: 63C
Load: 91C (using rthdribl in window)

Results seemed so bad that I removed the NV5 Silencer, used a razor blade to even out the Arctic Silver 5 paste (I think I had applied too much perhaps), re-installed it, and got:

NV5 Silencer w/ Artic Silver 5 paste (second installation):
Idle: 56C
Load: 69C (using rthdribl in window)

Now I am happy. And the NV5 Silencer, while not silent, is quieter than the BFG stock cooler.

For all tests, I was running my 6800 GT at 406/1000, but I haven't tried to push the limits yet.

My system: 2.4ghz P4 running at 2.92ghz, 1.5gb RAM, BFG 6800 GT OC

bubbafish
08-25-04, 11:33 AM
BTW, I use experttool to set the fan to 50% in 2D and 100% in 3D

Mojoe
08-25-04, 11:39 AM
I did a little test on my mem today and it has no problems running 1200Mhz, this card is a great overclocker running just at 1,3v. :nanahump:

bkswaney
10-05-04, 01:00 AM
I ordered mine from frozen CPU as well.. that is my favorite site to order from, only problem is I live on the other side of the country, so shipping can be kinda expensive sometimes.... But frozen CPU is awesome... best site on the planet :)

A question... what do I use to clean off the thermal adhesive that is alredy on the memory/gpu?

For sure.... Mark and those guys at Fcpu are
a great bunch.
I order a lot of stuff from them. Great support to. :)