PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800 Ultra Thermal putty??

Eltigre88
08-23-04, 03:11 PM
Was wondering if anyone had a clue what PNY was thinking using this thick puddy to try and cool there ram? If thin is best this stuff is a joke. It is an 1/8 th inch thick for god sakes! Has anyone removed it and put Arctic silver on it? :bash:

|JuiceZ|
08-23-04, 03:49 PM
I have the PNY 6800GT, which has the same thermal grease used on the 6800U vers. Replaced it w/ a thin coat of AS5 & noticed very little difference temp wise. (2 - 3deg) Several card makers have been using the same type thermal grease for a couple yrs applied the exact same way, sloppy. The thing you need to keep in mind though is when they're manufacturing large volumes of cards a day, they're much more concerned that the product is stable before its packaged rather than how it looks. As of right now a majority of them are just slight varients of Nvidia reference models anyways.

Woodelf
08-23-04, 03:55 PM
It's my understanding that (according to a review)
the only thing BFG is doing different to theirs, is using AS.

Eltigre88
08-24-04, 08:23 AM
I am talking about the Memory! It is cut out in patches of stuff that looks like carpet tape. How can this be a good condutor of heat. It does a fine job of gapping the heatsink from the memory chips and that is about it. I still do not know why it voids the warrenty to replace it with arctic silver which I know will cool the memory so much better. Crazey!

Woodelf
08-24-04, 05:00 PM
. I still do not know why it voids the warrenty to replace it with arctic silver which I know will cool the memory so much better. Crazey!
IMO, it would be because 50% of the people would some how mess it up, and probably short something out. Then attempt to RMA their mistake, which would be more costly than to just get it running and out the door.
Or perhaps, they are counting on people voiding their warranty. Either way, they do run as advertised.
As for me, My BFG ultra comes tomorrow, and if what you say is true about the carpet tape, you can count me in as one of the warranty voiders. :lol2:

odin20
08-24-04, 05:43 PM
when i went to put on my danger den water cooler i thought the same thing.
I looked at that crap and said "how in hell could that possibly cool well" i honestly thought they screwed up and left some foam tape or something went wrong with it lol.
So i put on some AS ceramique and away i went.

Eltigre88
08-25-04, 11:47 AM
I took the cloth putty crap out and put some Arctic Silver 5. Tried to do the voltage regulators too but removing the cloth putty leaves a gap between the heat sink and the chip so stuck the crap back on. Poor design if you ask me. I'm going to kick some DOOM 3 butt! Later!