PDA

View Full Version : Valve's trend continue's...8/23-still no pre-load

Pages : [1] 2

aAv7
08-23-04, 05:59 PM
:lame: Again, I know the pre-load is unplayable, but it was promised out 8/17, then 8/19, then today.....what's the excuse this time? Why cant valve at least issue a statement as to why it's not out yet, rather than ignore all the people with a wallet full of cash-waiting on the game. Disgusting...valve, please stop leaving us in the dark, and treat the people that put food on your tables with alittle more respect. (food...tables...here come the gabe jokes)

Vash
08-23-04, 06:05 PM
Valve does tend to keep things quiet nowadays. They took a big PR hit when the game didn't ship on Sept. 30th, and now a tight information lockdown until their ready to say something is probably the best thing they can do.

As for the preload... I'm not going to get up in arms about it. They haven't announced an official release date (there are, as usual, rumours), so the preload means almost nothing, but it is an indicator of their ready status. I'm not terribly surprised that things keep getting pushed back - they're doing something that's relatively brand new with Steam and how integrated it is into the game, and new stuff always breaks, especially in the wild.

There was an outcry similar to this immediately after the code theft, and Valve didn't crack then; I doubt they'll say word one about the game's status until they're ready to make the gold announcement.

Edge
08-23-04, 07:20 PM
Maybe they're worried that they'll let a few things "accidently slip" if they preload it too early, remember the way the script was accidentally leaked with early CS:S preloads :D

Also did they specifically say HL2 content? Perhaps they were actually refering to the CS:S benchmark or something. Or maybe they figure their servers are already overloaded from the CS:S launch, they've certainly been using up quite a bit of bandwidth this last week WITHOUT preloading HL2! But I don't think they'll actually start preloads until after they announce a release date, just seems to make sense.

Redshirt #24
08-23-04, 08:41 PM
At last report (according to a post over at HL2Fallout) the preload is due to start in about twenty minutes, at 7pm PDT. Since that's when the Counter-Strike: Source beta kicked off, I'm initially inclined to believe it--further delays notwithstanding.

Cheimison
08-23-04, 08:57 PM
I can't imagine why the Hell this game is taking so damn long to come out. Seriously, I could have dealt with having to get a couple of patches if it came out two months ago.

aAv7
08-23-04, 10:00 PM
well it's just about 8pm valve time....still nothing, I think it's safe to say they've backed out of another date ....again. They need to stop giving release dates and go with the "when it's done" motto. That way they wont look so incredibly unorganized. I agree with Cheimision.....I could also have dealt with a few patches....problem is, I dont think the game is anywhere near being complete. Unfortunate.

superklye
08-23-04, 10:19 PM
I hate to say it, but this game is never coming out.

Mr. Hunt
08-23-04, 10:48 PM
Yes.... more people need to realize that :).

aAv7
08-23-04, 10:48 PM
I agree with you superkyle....I wrote this over at halflife2.net

I was close to thinking this game was close to it's release, I now feel this game is no where near being completed. They either dont read forums or dont care-but for the last year,from the leak, to the delays, to recent events like the script and pre-load delays, they've looked very unorganized and have been very un-professional.

We pay their bills and put food on their tables....they are nothing without us, because we buy the games, making it possible for them to continue as a company and the way they treat the community that supports them is inexcusable. They've either grown careless, or huge ego's-either way, it will hurt them in the end. The older the engine gets, the more "eye-candy freaks" will pass this game up for something that actually ships and looks better, the longer the game takes, the more time is given to a company like THQ to push out stalker, providing possibly, an even better story and experience for those looking for games in that aspect. Valve seems to feel the world is frozen waiting for HL2, but in reality, gamers will jump ship to something that's just as fun to play and more important, has a reliable company behind the game working with the community, rather than spitting out lies and delays.

Yes, this was a pre-load...a few folders containing files that will basically sit on the HD. Unplayble. But it's the principal. You give a date, stick with it, or dont give one at all. This is the 3rd delay for this pre-load. And yet another stain on the wall for Valve. I hope they realize they cant sell an engine to developers if they dont plan on pushing this game out to meet contractual agreements. Vampires: Masquarede has been ready for roughly 6 months, but it has to wait for this game to ship first. Will an industry really develop for such an unreliable source? (Pun intended)

I'm done waiting for the game. It's officially off my list of games to look forward too and I'm not adding it into the game's fund I have for the rest of the year. If hell freezes over and they do push it out this year-I'll buy it used so I'm still legal, but not supporting them. The bigshots dont deserve a penny.

WeReWoLf
08-23-04, 11:02 PM
Valve does tend to keep things quiet nowadays. They took a big PR hit when the game didn't ship on Sept. 30th

HOLY CRAP! Ur livin in the future? lol

mezkal
08-23-04, 11:11 PM
Guys you need to calm down. It's coming. It will be released. The pre-load wouldn't have happened (read : distributing thier costly R & D'd I.P) if the game wasn't close to release.

So what if it's LATE. And yes it IS late. Very Late. But then Half Life 1 was 3 Years Late. Historically software releases, movies and archictecture are all late in thier release schedules.

I'm getting a little sick of people crying about the pre-loads as if they have a RIGHT to them. Be honest with yourselves. You pre-load the game in the hopes that you'll be the first on the block with it up and running. Well that's the catch with ANY type of early adoption, the bleeding edge cuts sometimes. Deal with it. Stop acting as if you actually count to Valve as much more then a Beta tester (in more ways than just bandwitdth btw, I'm sure they're measuring what sort of user dropoff this creates for thier potential subscription and supply service) for Steam. You don't. The guys who got thier cards from ATI should just be happy that they're getting a Triple A title that won't be old by the time its released too them. Well that and the fact that they can run CS : Source right now. Oh yeah and the Stress Test too.

Clamouring to the hills about how Valve BETTAH LERN ABT RELEAZE SCHEDOOLS IFN THEY WANN4 S3LL SOURCE is just plain dumb. Get it right. Gabe Newell (big man that he is Ho Ho :() is living his dream. You're just salivating over it. Stop bitching. Go and play some other game and let the team do what they do. Yeah it's LATE. WE KNOW. Get over it. Watching a kettle boil is pointless. Didn't your mothers teach you anything?

For the record : I Loved Half Life. I also adored Blue Shift (which I recently played again on my DreamCast -ssshhh). I'm anxious too. I want this game so bad I've actually dreamt about it. Even so @ 31 I've learnt that life just tests your patience sometimes. This is one of those times.

Mr. Hunt
08-23-04, 11:22 PM
Well, I could "preload" through bittorrent but I don't roll like that :\. Do I want to play HL 2? Sure, why not. Do I think it is ridiculous that Valve LIES CONSTANTLY... remember back when HL was released? Then you might also remember how TF2 was supposed to follow a few weeks after. You might remember they released TFC to tide us over until TF 2... well here we are many years later and still no TF2.

mezkal
08-23-04, 11:30 PM
Jeez what abt your OS? MS Lies and Cheats. Still haven't seen many Linux adopters spring forth in the last 5 years. Sure there are some who have both, some in transition. But XP sold in record numbers. As did 98, ME, 2K and of course 95.

TF wasn't lie. It was previewed (extremely loosely if you're going to really be accurate - some gameplay footage and a variety of shots which spawned the TFItaly map for heaps of other FPS's) and that was abt it. Heaps of games get previewed and dissapear into the mists. The fact that it's remained so memorable means that it's a testament to how it innovated.

:)

aAv7
08-23-04, 11:31 PM
Guys you need to calm down. It's coming. It will be released. The pre-load wouldn't have happened (read : distributing thier costly R & D'd I.P) if the game wasn't close to release.

So what if it's LATE. And yes it IS late. Very Late. But then Half Life 1 was 3 Years Late. Historically software releases, movies and archictecture are all late in thier release schedules.

I'm getting a little sick of people crying about the pre-loads as if they have a RIGHT to them. Be honest with yourselves. You pre-load the game in the hopes that you'll be the first on the block with it up and running. Well that's the catch with ANY type of early adoption, the bleeding edge cuts sometimes. Deal with it. Stop acting as if you actually count to Valve as much more then a Beta tester (in more ways than just bandwitdth btw, I'm sure they're measuring what sort of user dropoff this creates for thier potential subscription and supply service) for Steam. You don't. The guys who got thier cards from ATI should just be happy that they're getting a Triple A title that won't be old by the time its released too them. Well that and the fact that they can run CS : Source right now. Oh yeah and the Stress Test too.

Clamouring to the hills about how Valve BETTAH LERN ABT RELEAZE SCHEDOOLS IFN THEY WANN4 S3LL SOURCE is just plain dumb. Get it right. Gabe Newell (big man that he is Ho Ho :() is living his dream. You're just salivating over it. Stop bitching. Go and play some other game and let the team do what they do. Yeah it's LATE. WE KNOW. Get over it. Watching a kettle boil is pointless. Didn't your mothers teach you anything?

For the record : I Loved Half Life. I also adored Blue Shift (which I recently played again on my DreamCast -ssshhh). I'm anxious too. I want this game so bad I've actually dreamt about it. Even so @ 31 I've learnt that life just tests your patience sometimes. This is one of those times.

Last time I checked it was a free country and an open forum to opinionate, no one is forcing you to read our opinions, so it makes you look quite bitter to pin point our gripes and turn them into your own. If you dont like readin such things, dont...like you said about HL2 being late.."get over it".

XP_GUN
08-23-04, 11:36 PM
I dont even think we should even speck about HL2 until it is gold then talk about how cool it is. In the mean time I just think about 2 great games farcry and doom3... And maby that trick that dawn can do :rolleyes:

mezkal
08-23-04, 11:37 PM
Last time I checked it was a free country and an open forum to opinionate, no one is forcing you to read our opinions, so it makes you look quite bitter to pin point our gripes and turn them into your own. If you dont like readin such things, dont...like you said about HL2 being late.."get over it".

Dude. I think you misread me. It is a free country. Your opinion's just as valid as mine. But seriously don't you think you're getting a little too heated over a late game? I mean think about us Halo fans. That was scheduled for April LAST year, then October, then Christmas, then March and so on.. Game get released late. The playing field shuffles. Different hardware changes in purchased prefererence. It's just the nature of things. Learn to live with that and other people's opinions.

aAv7
08-23-04, 11:56 PM
At least M$ was decent enough to keep their fans updated on the Halo 2 delays-rather than leave them in the dark. =)~

And it's hard for me to live with other people's opinion's-especially when certain people go out of their way to call me a dick head. :naughty:

mezkal
08-23-04, 11:59 PM
At least M$ was decent enough to keep their fans updated on the Halo 2 delays-rather than leave them in the dark. =)~

And it's hard for me to live with other people's opinion's-especially when certain people go out of their way to call me a dick head. :naughty:

I'd hardly call typing two words going out of my way. But if you say so :P

Cheimison
08-24-04, 01:37 AM
If software releases are always ******* late, why can't the retard companies estimate a realistic release date instead of constantly pushing things back? Personally I'd prefer to patch something than not have it, people may complain about all the patches for Microsoft products, but at least Windows 98 came out before ****ing 2003.

Mr. Hunt
08-24-04, 02:18 AM
Valve loses either way, really. They release a buggy game saying they will patch it later. You get people complaining about delaying the game for forever and still not fixing stuff. You delay the game until most of the stuff is fixed and blah blah blah everybody cries because it isn't out.

jAkUp
08-24-04, 02:40 AM
Once the game is here nobody will complain any more.... but, if valve releases a buggy game, then people will complain until it is fixed. I say give them all the time they need. It only guarantees a better play the first time through.

You wanna play a half finished game? Go download the alpha, its all over the internet.

aAv7
08-24-04, 11:30 AM
I'd rather have a buggy game than no game at all. But something tells me bugs arent why it's being held back.

majortom
08-24-04, 01:42 PM
valve could have avoided all of this by NOT ANNOUNCING THE GAME SO DAMN EARLY! We didnt know it was coming out, and if they waited until they were at least on beta before telling us, it wouldve been better for everyone.

Mr. Hunt
08-24-04, 01:46 PM
You say that now, but really you wouldn't. Because lets think about it... Valve releases... lets say tomorrow. Then some huge bug wasn't fixed. Of course in Valve style it will take them 2 years to fix the bug :).

Edge
08-24-04, 02:00 PM
Personally I'd prefer to patch something than not have it, people may complain about all the patches for Microsoft products, but at least Windows 98 came out before ****ing 2003.

Actually, it was originally supposed to be Windows 97, but it was delayed until 1998 and renamed :D