PDA

View Full Version : Fun with hard drives!

Ninjaman09
08-23-04, 07:02 PM
Well, two days ago I experienced the joy of a complete hard disk failure. After getting my OS back up with the remaining drive, I ran Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic on the drive, which returned an error code of "0225 - Too many errors to repair". It couldn't even finish running the test.

Anyway, since I had my two drives running in RAID 0, all my data (and there was a lot) was destroyed. Western Digital, luckily, has an awesome RMA policy and cross-ships, so a replacement is already on the way. My experience has left me a bit wary of RAID 0, however, and I thought I'd ask some advice.

I am weighing the pros and cons of a RAID 1 array. I'm fairly new to RAID setups so I'm not aware of any undesirable side-effects, though I assume I'll need to repartition and format my drive (which I don't want to to) and that it'll slow my write speeds down. Am I right? Should I just install the drive, format it in NTFS, and just use it like normal?

jAkUp
08-23-04, 07:12 PM
Yes your speeds will slow down, and yes you will need to format for a RAID 1.... Personally, I wouldnt run a raid 1, mainly because I really dont have important data, but for someone who does, it can really be a lifesaver.

Ninjaman09
08-23-04, 07:16 PM
Well it's mostly a gaming computer but I had like 30 gigs of TV show episodes, movies, ISOs, and stuff like that. But thanks, that's what I needed to know.

EGGO
08-23-04, 07:48 PM
I've read on about 2 sites that if you're just gaming, there's really no need for RAID.

ynnek
08-23-04, 09:36 PM
If I was really that paranoid about keeping data, I'd consider making a stand alone data server to store all that stuff, and handle all the RAID stuff in HW.. They even sell stand alone units for that.. (no actual PC required to be a server)

http://www.ofb.net/~jheiss/raid10/

Then on my actual computer itself, I'd just run a single fast HD, for apps and games, keeping it simple.. That and you can have other computers on your home network access the data seperately.

But then again, if you have RAID1 on the whole computer itself, then the likelyhood of having downtime from two broken hd's at the same time is drastically reduced..

superklye
08-23-04, 10:15 PM
This has been the worst summer for HDDs.

I lost 2.
My roommate lost 2.
My boss lost 3.
A good friend lost 2.
Another roommate is in the process of having one fail.

It really sucks. If another one goes, I think I'm going to go nuts.

jAkUp
08-23-04, 11:30 PM
hey mine still works :D :D :D

Riptide
08-24-04, 12:19 AM
RAID tends not to help with games much. I'll say this for it though. It really does seem to have a measurable effect when it comes to defragging your drive, copying large volumes of files across the disc, and running compression routines for huge groups of files from DVD movies for instance (dvd2one, dvdshrink).