PDA

View Full Version : Proper application of AS5 on 6800GT GPU and RAM?

rek981
08-24-04, 01:29 PM
Subject pretty much says it all. What is the proper way to apply Arctic Silver 5 on a 6800 GTs GPU and RAM? On the AS5 web page, there are instructions for application on the CPU core. Basically it states that for small core CPUs you must apply a thin layer of AS5 over the CPU, but for CPUs with a larger heatspreader one must only apply a "rice" sized amount in the center of the spreader and let the force from the heatsink distribute the AS5.

How should I go about applying AS5 on the GPU and RAM? Does the core have a heat spreader on it like the P4? If so, should I put rice sized amount on the GPU and let the heatsink do the work, or should I spread a thin layer on? Same question goes for the RAM?

I'm sure it probably doesn't make much of a difference either way, but if I'm going to go through the trouble of changing the heatsink I might as well do it right. Also, I want to apply is properly since AS5 is conductive and I wouldn't want to short out the board.

Oh yah, I will be installing a NV5 Silencer.

Thanks,
Ross

saturnotaku
08-24-04, 01:35 PM
The 6800, like the GeForce FX, has a heatspreader over where the actual GPU is. You can use the rice method there, but on the memory chips, use the thin layer like when installing it on an older Athlon processor.

zoomy942
08-24-04, 02:19 PM
The 6800, like the GeForce FX, has a heatspreader over where the actual GPU is. You can use the rice method there, but on the memory chips, use the thin layer like when installing it on an older Athlon processor.

can or should i remove my heatspreader?

mustrum
08-24-04, 02:25 PM
can or should i remove my heatspreader?
NO!
Doing this is very risky!!! Chances that you destroy the GPU while doing that are quite high.

Clay
08-24-04, 02:28 PM
NO!
Doing this is very risky!!! Chances that you destroy the GPU while doing that are quite high.
Oh now, it's not that risky if you know what you're doing (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=3&pp=15#post370656). :)

JoKeRr
08-24-04, 02:56 PM
I don't think 6800 series has Heatspreader, b/c it decreases thermal transfer efficiency. Even though it looks like a heatspreader, but it really is just a Big bare DIE (222 million transistors)

Pandora's Box
08-24-04, 04:43 PM
lol lost a screw did yah? i hate it when that happens. like it falls off the table and you look on the floor and its gone. its like it grew legs and walked off. blasted screws

Clay
08-24-04, 04:44 PM
lol lost a screw did yah? i hate it when that happens. like it falls off the table and you look on the floor and its gone. its like it grew legs and walked off. blasted screwsYeah I did back when I was doing that...infuriating! :D