PDA

View Full Version : About the far cry 1.2 patch.

6800_m0nster
08-24-04, 03:18 PM
I am getting the pov geforce 6800 ultra in about 2 days.
on the 26 of August,
well.. that had nothing to do with it, i am just all pumped up and cant wait for it :)
ok back ontopic, crytek had recalled the far cry 1.2 patch and so you cant download it anymore,

so can someone who has got the patch maybe upload it for me,
btw if this is illegal then dont do it! i dont want to get you in trouble or anything.

Thanks.

Mr. Hunt
08-24-04, 03:20 PM
http://farcry.action-arena.com/pages/downloads/patches.asp

GamerGuyX
08-24-04, 03:30 PM
You know, what was really wrong with the patch? If I remember correctly the only reason that UbiSoft/Crytek gave was that it "showed unexpected behaviour". Anyone care to enlighten me?

Mr. Hunt
08-24-04, 03:35 PM
Not sure... I heard it had something to do with problems on ATI cards but I have no clue really.

fivefeet8
08-24-04, 03:38 PM
There were some gameplay bugs found in the 1.2 patch. Mostly it was the stationary guns not being able to move side to side. It doesn't deter much from gameplay though. The patch also introduced many graphical bugs on Ati hardware. Probably due from the early SM2b implementation more than anything else. The patch seems to be graphically fine on 6800 cards though. It runs fine on my 6800. ;)

6800_m0nster
08-24-04, 03:43 PM
Thanks Mr. Hunt. :cool:

Arioch
08-24-04, 03:46 PM
For my experience, since I owned a X800XT for two months and own a 6800 Ultra now. If you are looking strictly to play the single player game I would recommend the 1.1 patch for an ATI card and the 1.2 patch for Nvidia.

FastRedPonyCar
08-24-04, 03:57 PM
a friend has a 9800XT and he said it worked fine on his system but others are reporting having to do a fresh install of the game then immediately patching for it to run right on their ATI machines.

I'd be interested to see what it does on mine. Does it add any cool special grapics or something?? What's the benefit of upgrading?
________
glass pipe pictures (http://glasspipes.net/)

saturnotaku
08-24-04, 03:59 PM
I tried the 1.2 patch on an X800 Pro and about half the foliage would remain unrendered in spite of all the options turned up to the maximum. I didn't get this behavior on the same card with the 1.1 patch. I can see why it was pulled.

On the same note, 1.2 works absolutely perfectly on my 6800.

FastRedPonyCar
08-24-04, 04:05 PM
On the same note, 1.2 works absolutely perfectly on my 6800.

does it make the game look any different? what benefit would it be for me to install it?
________
vapolution (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapolution-vaporizer.html)

Nv40
08-24-04, 04:05 PM
the saying is that ATI sm2.0b additions broke the game ... hence i will not be surprised that much.. heard GI is supported also by a FOURCC hack , so figure it... there are people that believe that special paths doesnt make any more dificult the JOb for developers ,neither cost money ,neither can cause trouble for developers or delays in games. :screwy: just imagine if Nvidia pays Valve to rewrite their shaders to support PS2.0a ,if FAcry patch is any indication ,Hl2 will not be ready earlier than Chirstmas if any.

Arioch
08-24-04, 04:09 PM
does it make the game look any different? what benefit would it be for me to install it?

There are no graphic upgrades with this patch. Supposedly HDR and VDM (virtual displacement mapping) were to be added to a later patch. Seeing as we haven't heard squat about the updated 1.2 patch I am skeptical that this game will ever be looked at again on the PC seeing as the console version is being worked on and since Crytek has been assimilated by the EA collective.

mustrum
08-24-04, 04:37 PM
Crytek has been assimilated by the EA collective.
:lol2:
Too bad it's true tho. I fear FarCry was the one and only good game Crytek produced. Fromnow on they'll produce brainless sequels and licenegames.
RIP Crytek
:argh:

Mr. Hunt
08-24-04, 04:41 PM
Nah... they will just have a million expansion packs that add almost nothing... it is the EA way.

Dot50Cal
08-24-04, 05:04 PM
Just thought Id chime in with some notes about 1.2. It has many bugs..Ill list some ways to get around them. First this should be added after you're farcry.exe shortcut if you want SM3.0 path.

"D:\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" "r_sm30path 1"

After that go in game and set you're settings to how you want. Once you are done, exit the game and create a new .txt and rename it to Systemcfgoverride.cfg
CAPITAL S!

Open it in notepad and add the following:

s_CompatibleMode = "0"
s_DopplerEnable = "1"
s_DopplerValue = "1.0"
s_DummySound = "0"
s_EnableSoundFX = "1"
s_InactiveSoundIterationTimeout = "1"
s_MaxActiveSoundSpots = "100"
s_MaxHWChannels = "28"
s_MaxSoundDist = "500"
s_MinHWChannels = "16"
s_MinRepeatSoundTimeout = "200"
s_MusicEnable = "1"
s_MusicMaxPatterns = "12"
s_MusicStreamedData = "1"
s_SampleRate = "44100"
s_SFXVolume = "1"
s_SoundEnable = "1"
s_SpeakerConfig = "1"

These settings make it so the 1.2 patch delivers 5.1 sound. You may have noticed with the 1.2 patch its missing. speaker config 1 = 5.1.

After these add this:

e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = "100.0000"
r_geominstancing = "1"
e_vegetation_sprites = "1"

This makes it so trees in the distance are rendered as geometry instead of sprites.

Save the file and close it. NEVER ENTER THE SOUND MENU AFTER THIS! It will reset the sound settings.

Also you may notice that enviromental quality has been set to custom. This is normal because of the geometry instancing setting.

GamerGuyX
08-24-04, 05:14 PM
Just thought Id chime in with some notes about 1.2. It has many bugs..Ill list some ways to get around them. First this should be added after you're farcry.exe shortcut if you want SM3.0 path.

"D:\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" "r_sm30path 1"

After that go in game and set you're settings to how you want. Once you are done, exit the game and create a new .txt and rename it to Systemcfgoverride.cfg
CAPITAL S!

Open it in notepad and add the following:

s_CompatibleMode = "0"
s_DopplerEnable = "1"
s_DopplerValue = "1.0"
s_DummySound = "0"
s_EnableSoundFX = "1"
s_InactiveSoundIterationTimeout = "1"
s_MaxActiveSoundSpots = "100"
s_MaxHWChannels = "28"
s_MaxSoundDist = "500"
s_MinHWChannels = "16"
s_MinRepeatSoundTimeout = "200"
s_MusicEnable = "1"
s_MusicMaxPatterns = "12"
s_MusicStreamedData = "1"
s_SampleRate = "44100"
s_SFXVolume = "1"
s_SoundEnable = "1"
s_SpeakerConfig = "1"

These settings make it so the 1.2 patch delivers 5.1 sound. You may have noticed with the 1.2 patch its missing. speaker config 1 = 5.1.

After these add this:

r_geominstancing = "1"

This makes it so trees in the distance are rendered as geometry instead of sprites.

Save the file and close it. NEVER ENTER THE SOUND MENU AFTER THIS! It will reset the sound settings.

Also you may notice that enviromental quality has been set to custom. This is normal because of the geometry instancing setting.

Hey thanks! :) (even though there is probably already a thread about this somewhere).

fivefeet8
08-24-04, 05:30 PM
r_geominstancing = "1"

Geometry Instancing is automatically enabled when you enable SM3. I also find setting the vegetaion sprites distance ratio to it's default gives a fairly better performance than with setting it 100 with minimal IQ differences most of the times.

There is however a lot more difference between performance with GI on/off when that option is set to 100.

FastRedPonyCar
08-24-04, 05:35 PM
can someone post a pair of comparirson screenshots to show the difference between the sprites, GI and VS on and off??
________
gsx 650 f (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_GSX_650_F)

CainSyris
08-25-04, 05:46 AM
Damn, where is the updated patch? I mean, they said it was going to be recalled so they could fix it, but that was weeks ago? In all the news of Doom 3, I kinda forgot about the patch, but now that I see this, that makes me ask.

Where the hell is the Patch 1.2 remix? What is taking so long? Perhaps its true ATI gave 'em some money on the sly and now they're recalling it to get it up to snuff for the ATI crowd?

I mean at the least they could have left it for the nvidia users to play...

SH64
08-26-04, 09:04 PM
Well i used Patch 1.2 with SM3.0 path & got some bugs like (some of them are even before the patch) :
1)Jerkiness & stuttering all the time .
2)corrupted shadows
3)some errors with water rendering in some places .
4)some strange framerate drops . for exmaple in the Boat level if i set shadows at very high the framerate in some places get around 22fps & when i set the shadows to medium i get around 75fps!!!

good thing that framerate is noticably increased indoors & some other rendering bugs have been fixed .

all in all .. my X800Pro is running the game much better (stability wise) than the GT so far .