PDA

View Full Version : does this thermal paste application look good to use? (pic inside)

ynnek
08-24-04, 03:10 PM
I just got my 9Y212 Heatsink.. I will be installing this with my new 3.4 Northwood for my Dell 8300 (orig 2.6) Dell uses a proprietary CPU heat sink mounts, so this is a Dell specific part.

I notice the protective cover fell off during shipping and the thermal stuf on the bottom got slightly scuffed.. Is it okay to use like this? I also have some extra thermal greese in a syringe.. should i just put a little on top of this too?

here's the pic:

http://home.comcast.net/~ynnek8883/crop-small.jpg

d1g1tal
08-24-04, 09:56 PM
Here is what I would do:

First scrape off the scuffed thermal pad with a plastic utensil (I use a hotel keycard I kept by accident). Then clean off the rest of the thermal pad with isopropyl alcohol/mineral spirits etc... Finally, after you have it all clean, apply the thermal grease from the syringe and attach the heatsink and it should be fine.

Since it seems like the thermal pad that is on there was scraped pretty bad I wouldn't recommend using it like that as you could compromise the contact between the CPU and the heatsink. Never mix a thermal pad (like the one that was already on the heatsink) with thermal grease.

Hope that helps.

jAkUp
08-24-04, 11:11 PM
I dont think thats actually a thermal pad... I believe that is the pre applied thermal grease that some heatsink manufacturers use... But yea, scrape it off, and apply some new lube ;)

ynnek
08-24-04, 11:32 PM
thanks.. now if my northwood 3.4 would ever ship.. :(

PsychoSy
08-24-04, 11:39 PM
Actually, that paste looks like Shin Etsu SG41 (very good stuff!!) but I can't be sure because of the glare. Shin Etsu has the consistancy of peanut butter which means you could take a smooth plastic card and smooth out the scuff without a problem. The pad would be an even square if you do it right. However, if it has a milky kind of consistancy, you're better off with the ol' scrape and redux! ;)

ynnek
08-25-04, 12:38 AM
actually, you know, I think it is..

The syring is also filled with that stuff too.

Actually, that paste looks like Shin Etsu SG41 (very good stuff!!) but I can't be sure because of the glare. Shin Etsu has the consistancy of peanut butter which means you could take a smooth plastic card and smooth out the scuff without a problem. The pad would be an even square if you do it right. However, if it has a milky kind of consistancy, you're better off with the ol' scrape and redux! ;)