PDA

View Full Version : Errors when installing UT2003

t6_shadow
11-01-02, 06:37 PM
I have just recently formatted and am reinstalling ut2003 or attemptig to anyways. The cds are in no way damaged or scratched. The error occurs on both cd one and two. it simply stops at a file and says there was an error during the attempt to copy. This abort the installation and makes me start all over again. This as you can imagine is pissing me off.

Has anyone else has this error? If so is there a fix? Any way around the problem etc? Please help!

styles-T
11-01-02, 08:43 PM
I had this problem with Diablo 2..

It would stop in the middle of disc one and say can not copy file...

So I tried it on my Yamaha CD burner and it would install fine..

Very weird..I guess my 40X Cd player couldnt read the file but my 24X CDR did..

I returned the Disc at Software Etc. and got a new one..It was the same problem..

Smokey
11-02-02, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by !plonk*
I had this problem with Diablo 2..

It would stop in the middle of disc one and say can not copy file...

So I tried it on my Yamaha CD burner and it would install fine..

Very weird..I guess my 40X Cd player couldnt read the file but my 24X CDR did..

I returned the Disc at Software Etc. and got a new one..It was the same problem..

I had this exact same problem with Rune. It turns out that its the security software that is used on the cd, my 40x couldnt read it but my 24x could, there were alot of complaints at the time, and a patch was released. Dont know if its the same resaon that this is happeneing, but there is a good chance it is. It is most annoying when you get a game as a presant or you have just bought it and you cant install it because of some anti-pirate software used on the cd.

The Baron
11-02-02, 09:47 AM
Yeah, definitely sounds like the anti-piracy code... maybe try making an ISO of the CD with CloneCD and reading it with Daemon Tools? Assuming you can make an ISO in the first place...

SnakeEyes
11-02-02, 07:23 PM
I had the same problem with disc 2, but what I did was to tell it to retry when it got the problem, and it managed to complete the process. Unfortunately, trying to play the game was a different story, because the same error makes the cd-check fail, so the game simply closes in around 30 seconds. To get around that, I had to find the line in my ini files for ut2003 that pointed to my CD drive and change it to my burner (which reads all three discs fine).

t6_shadow
11-03-02, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have fixed the problem. It was a faulty motherboard causing this and other problems. It has since been replaced.

saturnotaku
11-03-02, 06:05 PM
Glad you fixed the problem t6. But I want to make all of you aware that all UT2003's copy protection is on Disc 1. It uses the SecuROM New system that is currently unable to be duplicated by today's hardware. NOLF2, Hitman 2 and other games use this protection, too. Right now, however, it is possible to create a working CD image of the game using Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools.

But any time you try to burn the image, the copy will install, but the game won't run.

The Baron
11-03-02, 06:34 PM
But any time you try to burn the image, the copy will install, but the game won't run.

Some 16 year old kid cracked CSS. It's only a matter of time before somebody cracks this too... :p

saturnotaku
11-03-02, 09:35 PM
Yes, but CSS was an encryption technique. But SecuROM New has traits built into the original, pressed CD-ROM itself that, try as the best minds have, are unable to be duplicated at this time. At least we can take images of the disc to operate from a virtual CD drive. :)

stncttr908
11-04-02, 07:15 AM
Ah these crazy installations, on my brother's system I tried installing SOF2 and the audio during the installation was just a bunch of beeps and static but works fine on mine. Game runs great though. Go figure.

fasedww
11-06-02, 06:49 AM
When ever you install these newer games make sure you stop all the startup programs and the ones runnining. then reboot and install game. Alot of stuff like real audio screws installation process up.:)

DaveW
11-06-02, 08:30 AM
Its the stupid copy protection.

I originally had a warezed copy and it installed no problem. I later purchased the original and installed it. I noticed that my cdrom drive really struggled during the installation process on parts of disc one and two. It did install ok in the end, but it was acting like the discs were scratched. I installed from my burner that can read and write in raw format. I doubt my other drive would have installed it.

thcdru2k
11-06-02, 08:41 AM
i like to copy to my hd and than installing. problem can be narrowed down to either drive problem, or corrupted files.