PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing XFX 6800NU

spiderhole
08-25-04, 10:08 AM
I just got my XFX 6800NU card last week. It came with the memory factory clocked at 750 (core 325). Stock cooler. I have been tweaking the freqs with RivaTuner trying to find the optimal settings but have a few questions....

1. How reliable is the auto detect feature in RivaTuner? It seems to return fairly low freqs (325-332 core, 750-763 mem).

2. Should I trust the internal test of freqs? IOW, if it reports "failed" at a certain speed should I assume that this speed is a NO GO?

3. If I OC to around 400/800 I can get the test to not fail after a few tries. However when I run 3dMark03 I get some artifacts in the first demo (wings of fury). Incorrect transparency on some of the sprites. However, the other demos look fine. Anyone else experience this with an otherwise successful overclock?

TIA!
Mitch

keith33
08-25-04, 11:13 AM
I've been using Coolbits and the "Test Optimal Frequencies" seems to think the card can go further than it physically can: (485mhz core, 1400mhz mem). I would personally take it down a bit when you start getting ANY sort of artifiacts because in my experience this eventually leads to system reboot. I got some artifacts in 3dmark03 in the nature scene but was able to play doom3 and farcry fine at around 470mhz core (Ultra). But the 3dmark test eventually forced a bazillion hex errors in Windows and rebooted the system.

Good Luck.

Distraught
08-25-04, 12:19 PM
1. How reliable is the auto detect feature in RivaTuner? It seems to return fairly low freqs (325-332 core, 750-763 mem).

I don't know.. never used it.

2. Should I trust the internal test of freqs? IOW, if it reports "failed" at a certain speed should I assume that this speed is a NO GO?

You can use Rivatuner to disable internal clock tests. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34050

3. If I OC to around 400/800 I can get the test to not fail after a few tries. However when I run 3dMark03 I get some artifacts in the first demo (wings of fury). Incorrect transparency on some of the sprites. However, the other demos look fine. Anyone else experience this with an otherwise successful overclock?

400MHz core speed is really pushing it without a voltage increase. 360MHz to 380MHz is what most people are getting. For now back down the GPU speed and test again. It's not really a successful overclock unless you can run everything error free. Try looping the 3dmark03 nature test 20x to stress test.