PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 now at Windows Update site

mustang
08-25-04, 02:44 PM
Just finished my 94.1 MB download and install.

EDLIM
08-25-04, 09:03 PM
Just finished my 94.1 MB download and install.

Wow, atleast that is more than half of the posted SP2 IT Professional install.

How did it go for you.? Is the Splash screen any different. I had mine slipstreamed and Windows Splash screen does not even come up with any copyrigth dates and there's is no difference between the professional and home edition. Just plainly says Windows Xp.

holmes
08-25-04, 11:07 PM
Installed great! Now that I finally have DX9.0c, where's that Farcry 1.2 patch?
:POKE:

Slyder
08-26-04, 07:42 AM
Just starting my 266meg download.

For anyone interested, you can order there free cd version here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx), I just ordered mine.

mustang
08-26-04, 03:33 PM
Edlim, the splash screen just says WindowsXP now and the load progress bar is blue instead of green. All has gone well for my install so far. All my flight and race sims run without a hitch. Nero 5.5 still burns CDs without probs. Interesting to me was the loss of about 150 points in 3D mark03. Just unchecking Automatic Updates and the security services in msconfig.exe/services restored the score. These services must be tying up some of my 1GB of RAM when active. I don't need the security stuff anyway, as it just wraps around my NIS firewall and AV. If there was any loss in actual gameplay, I couldn't really detect it. Windows and IE both seem as fast as ever.

Slyder, that link should prove very useful to those of us still without broadband. Thanks for posting it. :)

john19055
08-26-04, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the imformation on how to get the SP2 CD patch free ,It took me over four hours on my slow dial up.

EDLIM
08-26-04, 08:19 PM
So far so good, but it is way too early to say it great.....

Slyder
08-27-04, 12:38 PM
So far so good, but it is way too early to say it great.....

Very true.

I have downloaded it, ordered the CD, but will most likely avoid installing it. As a gamer, this SP offers nothing of interest to me.

superklye
08-27-04, 03:40 PM
I checked last night and my download is only like 75.1MB if I choose to install, which I am choosing not to right now. It hasn't been out long enough for errors to start showing and as someone else said: it offers nothing to me as a gamer. The pop-up blocker would be a nice addition since the Google bar isn't really cutting it anymore, but that's about it.

I don't really need all the security babysitting it offers.

Slyder
08-27-04, 05:25 PM
I checked last night and my download is only like 75.1MB if I choose to install, which I am choosing not to right now. It hasn't been out long enough for errors to start showing and as someone else said: it offers nothing to me as a gamer. The pop-up blocker would be a nice addition since the Google bar isn't really cutting it anymore, but that's about it.

I don't really need all the security babysitting it offers.

Security ? I wouldnt even call it that. More load on the cpu and ram more like. If your looking for a ad blocker, I suggest AdsGone 2004 (http://www.adsgone.com/).

FlashGordon
08-27-04, 05:25 PM
Installed on my XP Pro. Originally said 75 MB, then jumped to 113MB. Everything looks and operates the same, which I guess is a good thing. Haven't run into any problems so far. Only way for me tell that I have SP2 is the new security icon in the sytem tray. Unfortunatly I don't have any antivirus, so it does remind (annoys) me in a bubble message that something is wrong. It can be turned off, but I'll let it remind me to try one of the trial av offered to Microsoft customers.

superklye
08-28-04, 02:17 AM
Security ? I wouldnt even call it that. More load on the cpu and ram more like. If your looking for a ad blocker, I suggest AdsGone 2004 (http://www.adsgone.com/).

No, I didn't mean actualy security...I just meant how the built-in firewall in Windows is now more annoying and intrusive than effing Zone Alarm.

nVidi0t
08-28-04, 09:06 AM
Seems okay to me. The firewall seems pretty dosile once you have done your usual inter-errands.

john19055
09-04-04, 09:19 PM
That was quick I have already recieved the CD of SP2 from Microsoft on friday ,I thought it would take them a least a month to send it.