PDA

View Full Version : Fx cards will be forced to use dx8.1 in HL2

aAv7
08-25-04, 02:51 PM
Apparently if you own a FX card, you wont be able to enable dx9. Only dx8.1 and lower can be used in HL2 and a FX card. Pretty :lame: if u ask me. I understand the performance hit, but some people like to play with the settings, tweak them, just see how it looks @ max details...etc.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_fx/

$100 bucks says the 6800 series will have a bug where the game reads it as a fx card forcing dx8.1 and it will take them 8 months to release a patch. (It will be their way of making up with ati, for the delay(s)..)

LiquidX
08-25-04, 03:03 PM
To tell you the truth I seriously also think there will be a bug or some performance issue with HL2 and new Nvidia cards, which is sad. Call me crazy but I was going to wait untill I get the all clear from those that have a 6800 and HL2.

aAv7
08-25-04, 03:21 PM
Not crazy at all. It's the same approach i've been thinking about taking. Course, by the time the game ships the 7800 series may be out.

Killall
08-25-04, 04:49 PM
Would be stupid of valve to not make hl2 run good on Geforce cards since most people own a Geforce. We all know HL2 will run nice on our cards, i mean cmon.. its Nvidia we r talking about here (alf)

jAkUp
08-25-04, 05:21 PM
Makes sense, the framerate would probably halve if it was running in dx9 mode.

sabrewulf165
08-25-04, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are right about valve or not, but it really makes me sad to hear about such corruption in the games industry these days if indeed you are correct... it is not the right of the game companies to "decide" for us which graphics card we should play their games on or what mode we should use. Talk about a load of bs :mad:

nVidi0t
08-25-04, 06:00 PM
Hmm, the FX line really suck that bad?

XP_GUN
08-25-04, 10:06 PM
not really just the dx9 part I think, I had a FX5900 Ultra and loved it.

SH64
08-25-04, 10:50 PM
Although it makes sense i think its not fair . at least leave the DX9.0 path option & defualt the game at DX8.1 for the FX cards . maybe some FX users wants to sacrifice the lower res/less AA&AF for a higher IQ . i would do!

fivefeet8
08-26-04, 01:24 AM
Although it makes sense i think its not fair . at least leave the DX9.0 path option & defualt the game at DX8.1 for the FX cards . maybe some FX users wants to sacrifice the lower res/less AA&AF for a higher IQ . i would do!

Judging by the screenshots from various reviews, the IQ isn't that much higher with Dx9.

lunix
08-26-04, 01:34 AM
The FX series did not have good Dx9 performance so it is probably the right decision to default to a faster path. I am certain though that for those in the know a minor adjustment to the .ini file will get them to where they want to be. If they were really in ATI's pocket they would default to the Dx9 path <evil>

Socos
08-26-04, 06:44 AM
This possibly could of been done at NV's request. I know valve had said that they spent much time optimizing NV code. IMPO NV just missed the boat with the GF FX series, or they just underestimated what they thought ATI would bring the the table with the 9800. Fortunately for us it just got NV off their butts and got them going to make the 6800 series, and I think many agree that it is much better heat and size aside...

I would not see why valve would deliberately cripple the NV cards. It wouldn't make sense for them. They are trying to sell games not video cards.

Socos
08-26-04, 06:45 AM
Judging by the screenshots from various reviews, the IQ isn't that much higher with Dx9.

Which is why I laugh every time I read that NV has SM3.0 and ATI doesn't.

Most if not all things can still be done in DX7 that are done in DX8 or 9.... So when we start arguing SM2.0 vs SM3.0 it gets kinda funny. :nanahump:

ynnek
08-26-04, 11:37 AM
the article states they have the console commands, and a list of cards and the dx level it will default to.

But it makes sense with the FX cards.. If they do it right, it could be like FarCry.. you wuoldn't notice much unless you saw the 9's.

Kev1
08-27-04, 01:14 AM
From what I have read the GFFX line (5900s specifically) run DirectX 9 just as well as the 9800 series with the new Forceware drivers. I know Doom3 is openGL, but I run it fine at high setting at 1024 x 768. I get 6000 3D Marks in 3D Mark 03, and just under 47,000 in Aquamark, both DirectX 9 benchmarks. These DirectX 9 scores are similar to scores a 9800 Pro would have in the same system.

I would think that the GFFX 5900s could run HL2 using DirectX 9 at 1024 x 768 without problems. I hope valve at least allows us the option to do so. If they don't, I hope someone finds a hack to allow us to.

:fanboy:

Fahim
08-27-04, 01:20 AM
Let new drivers out.......or after game patch........i think NVIDIA FX Series will Support DX9 in Game, atleast 59xx Series.

Drunken_Master
08-27-04, 02:22 AM
I believe Valve used the DX 8.1 path to accomodate those with FX5600 and below cards. I read a specific reference to having the mid-range cards and below run so slowly compared to the high-end (I'm just too lazy to look for it now).

Still, I believe that Valve should have made this a user decision by including a user option for DX9 or DX8 rendering paths. I'm not happy with their decision just to use the DX8 path for all FX users. It makes me want to upgrade to the 6800 or the 6600 GT just to get the DX9 path.

fivefeet8
08-27-04, 02:25 AM
A user at Guru3d.com forums stated:

You can set your dx to whatever you want. In properties of CSS put in the launch box

-dxlevel 70
-dxlevel 80
-dxlevel 81
-dxlevel 90

Anyone care to try it and report back? I'm guessing you add those commands to the shortcut properties to the exe..

msxyz
08-27-04, 04:48 AM
I was impressed by the FX5700U results. 5700U + Dx8.1 path = almost the same framerate as a 9600XT + Dx9 path. Considering that on the NV35-36 legacy shaders are processed through FP16 ALUs, these results are better than I expected.

With AA and Aniso, the 5700U pulls ahead of the 9600XT and the framerate still on a playable level even at 1024x768

coldpower27
08-29-04, 11:56 PM
firingsquad has an article up on how to truly force DX9.0 path for Nvidia cards, the reuslts ain't pretty at this point in time, but at least the option is there :clap:

Perhaps a driver revision, may helpsomewhat for the FX card performance in this particular DX9 game, maybe it's just the Source engine the FX cards DX9 performance is abysmal, the other DX9 game we have only show the DX9 lower performance yes but not as dramatic as Source engine.

-=DVS=-
08-30-04, 12:07 AM
Its not Valves foult that FX line runs 8.1 path by default, Nvidia told devs to treat FX line cards as DX 8 as simple as that :rolleyes: it can't handle DX 9 can't you people get it ? :zzzz: by now youd think everyone knows that FX line sucked at DX 9 (spit)