PDA

View Full Version : Best Turn Based Game

Schnieds
08-25-04, 05:42 PM
Hey All,

A few friends and myself are looking for a turn based game to play together. We are all geographically far apart, so we were thinking that a turn based game would be a good way to get together, have some fun and have time to chat every once and a while.

What are your favorite turn based games that offer internet multiplayer?

Thanks!

Schnieds

Banko
08-25-04, 06:07 PM
There are no turn based games that offer multi player.

Edge
08-25-04, 07:13 PM
There are no turn based games that offer multi player.
:bs:

Ahem, I can think of Civ 3: Play the World (even though I hear it sucks), and I know there's a lot of other games that are turn based as well (I just can't remember them right now). I guess there's Risk, if nothing else...

Pandora's Box
08-25-04, 07:16 PM
one of my personal favorites is star trek birth of the federation. if star trek is your thing. you get to control either the romulans, klingons, federation, ferengi, or cardassians. set your inteligence agencies to work against the other races, wage war with the federation, raid enemy systems, conduct planetary bombardment of earth etc...

Skrot
08-25-04, 07:55 PM
How about Wesnoth? www.wesnoth.org . Free, cross platform, awesome.

St Lobus
08-25-04, 09:09 PM
Moonbase Commander is a good turn based game that is sort of reminiscent of Scorched Earth. A couple friends and I played it at a lan, good fun.

http://www.atari.com/us/games/moonbase_command/pc

It doesn't even require a high-end system. Hope this helps.

Schnieds
08-25-04, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!!!

Keep em' coming!

Thanks!

Schnieds

Phoking
08-26-04, 12:41 AM
Worms:World Party (I think thats the newest 2d) or Worms 3D. Both are pretty fun turn based games when you play with other ppl. I perfer the 2d worms over the 3d because I've been playing since the original dos worms which is still a fun game :P

Team 17 is also coming out with Worms Forts sometime soon.

You can also play card games or other board on yahoo games that are turned based and pretty fun.

Cheimison
08-26-04, 12:43 AM
I live Civ3: Conquests. Worms is also good.

Fatman
08-26-04, 11:11 AM
Heros of Might and Magic series.

nVidi0t
08-26-04, 11:26 AM
Fallout:Tactics

majortom
08-26-04, 12:08 PM
i hate turn based cause im impatient. i like real time strategy like star craft and ... well, just starcraft.

Edge
08-26-04, 01:11 PM
Heros of Might and Magic series.

Gah, how could I forget about those, I remember playing quite a bit of those games in Hotseat at a friend's house. Fun games, even though I'm not usually a turn-based fan. BTW, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the best.

Imek
08-26-04, 02:03 PM
An interesting multiplayer turn based game is laser squad nemesis (www.lasersquadnemesis.com).. I really like it - two players send in their orders, and they're resolved simultaneously on the server. However, it's a free trial then you have to subscribe. I'm not sure about the details though, before you got unlimited play with one race and three of the maps, but now they introduced the trial system and I'm not sure how it works.

DaveW
08-26-04, 02:16 PM
Master of Orion 2. Its IPX I think so you will have to find a copy of Kali.

You could also try digging up VGA Planets, its an old space TBS that was designed to be played over email or snail mail by exchanging "turn" files on floppy disks.

nVidi0t
08-26-04, 04:27 PM
An interesting multiplayer turn based game is laser squad nemesis (www.lasersquadnemesis.com).. I really like it - two players send in their orders, and they're resolved simultaneously on the server. However, it's a free trial then you have to subscribe. I'm not sure about the details though, before you got unlimited play with one race and three of the maps, but now they introduced the trial system and I'm not sure how it works.

That's an awesome game. I used to play it with a friend in the UK a couple of years ago on 33.6k and it was fine.

r2d2d3d4d5
08-26-04, 04:48 PM
I seem to remember Stars! being a pretty fun space conquer turn based strategy game. The company that made (Crisium) went out of business though (I think) so you might have a bit of trouble finding it. The shareware version should still be out there somewhere though.

The graphics were pretty basic but the gameplay was pretty good.

I think you had to use email to take turns though. Not sure if anyone ever made a mod for it.

Schnieds
08-26-04, 06:16 PM
Gah, how could I forget about those, I remember playing quite a bit of those games in Hotseat at a friend's house. Fun games, even though I'm not usually a turn-based fan. BTW, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the best.

Yeah, those are awesome games... with the exception of Heroes IV, IMHO was a complete flop. It's like they took out all of the great things about Heroes I,II and III (such as powerful heroes, awesome quest items, etc.) and just left a big turn based mess.

holmes
08-26-04, 10:36 PM
I really liked DisciplesII.. awesome game!
:)

Greg
08-26-04, 11:10 PM
Massive Assault
http://www.massiveassault.com/

skulls_skulls
08-27-04, 06:39 AM
WITHOUT a doubt the BEST turn based game and one of the very best pc games is Heroes of Might and Magic III series avoid IV series that sux big.

Skrot
08-27-04, 09:25 AM
Meh, nah I've had more fun with Heroes IV.

Schnieds
08-27-04, 03:50 PM
Meh, nah I've had more fun with Heroes IV.

Seriously? Man, I didn't like that they made the heroes and items so weak. Once of my favorite aspects of the previous games was building up a super powerful hero that could wipe out lesser heroes with smaller armies... Heroes IV ruined that.

What aspects did you like better?

Skrot
08-27-04, 11:37 PM
Well it's hard to say. I sorta liked that the heroes are more or less just really powerful normal units (when they get level up and get cool armor etc), which can cast spells if they're a mage type. Maybe it's because I've mostly played Heroes IV with my girlfriend, and didn't with Heroes III.