PDA

View Full Version : PCI-Express

KitsuneFox
08-25-04, 05:26 PM
Greetings,

When are we going to start seeing Nvidia Geforce 6-series cards with PCI-Express?

I want a Geforce 6800 Ultra to put in my PCI-Express slot, but it looks like no one is making them yet. ATI already offers their cards for PCI-Express and am starting to think they might be a better solution!!!

Does anyone know how long I'll have to wait to go with Nvidia, or should I just go with ATI (who sadly seems to be ahead of the game here).

Thanks for any help and information,

-Kitsune

JimPage
08-25-04, 05:31 PM
PCI Express isn't as great as the hype would make it out to be. The scores from a PCIX card compared to a normal AGP card are just about exactly the same.

The only good thing about PCIX is SLI, that -will- be great. :-)

EGGO
08-25-04, 05:31 PM
I thought the 6600 is already on it? Which means the 6800 shouldn't be too far off at all. I don't think there'd be an Ultra though.

GamerGuyX
08-25-04, 06:11 PM
PCI Express isn't as great as the hype would make it out to be. The scores from a PCIX card compared to a normal AGP card are just about exactly the same.

But the thing is that he makes it sound like he has already bought a mobo with PCI Express. No use in telling him it's shortcomings now...

Cota
08-25-04, 06:53 PM
Greetings,

When are we going to start seeing Nvidia Geforce 6-series cards with PCI-Express?

I want a Geforce 6800 Ultra to put in my PCI-Express slot, but it looks like no one is making them yet. ATI already offers their cards for PCI-Express and am starting to think they might be a better solution!!!

Does anyone know how long I'll have to wait to go with Nvidia, or should I just go with ATI (who sadly seems to be ahead of the game here).

-Kitsune

AFAIK most if not all ATI and nvidia PCI-e cards are for OEMs, nvidia already has 6800GT and ultra in PCI-e, and the 6600 should be out in about a month. I think ATI only has the X600pro for PCI-e

MUYA
08-25-04, 07:49 PM
There are PCI Express cards from IHVs available in the market but it seems that only low end/previous generations GPU based. NV45s and IIRC ATI's PCI high end part r423s don't seem to be on sale or available for purchase anywhere yet. Perhaps towards the end of teh eyar you will liekly see more volume of the high end PCI express parts from both IHVs on sale.

RedLeg
08-25-04, 11:15 PM
Greetings,

-Kitsune

Come on ATI yeah right they dont even make AGP x800 do they? They say they do but all I have seen is the ones they sell on EBAY for 900.00!!! Nice try but saying ATI is a better sollution :lame: for somthing that isnt and wont be available for MONTHS is lame!

KitsuneFox
08-26-04, 12:38 PM
Let me take a moment to clear up the confusion on PCI-Express. PCI-Express is far more powerful than AGP x8 offering upto 4GB per second transfer in both upstream and downstream.

Why then are the PCI-Express cards not performing any better than AGP x8? Why aren't they 'living up to the hype'? Simple, because no Nvidia Geforce card has been released that uses a PCI-Express GPU.

Currently all PCX cards offered by Nvidia (even the ones people are seeing reviews for, such as the Geforce 6800 GT) use AGP Graphic Processing Units.

As such, all PCI-Express cards by Nvidia have a HSI (or High-Speed Interface) to interact with the PCI-Express slot.

It will be some time before we start seeing cards with PCI-X specefic GPU's. At that time, and only then, will you start to see the advantage of PCI-Express.

PCI-Express is the future. Nvidia certainly seems to think so, as they continue to pack their web-page with press-release after press-release about the subject.

Thanks for your time,

Kitsune

GamerGuyX
08-26-04, 12:42 PM
Let me take a moment to clear up the confusion on PCI-Express. PCI-Express is far more powerful than AGP x8 offering upto 4GB per second transfer in both upstream and downstream.

Why then are the PCI-Express cards not performing any better than AGP x8? Why aren't they 'living up to the hype'? Simple, because no Nvidia Geforce card has been released that uses a PCI-Express GPU.

Currently all PCX cards offered by Nvidia (even the ones people are seeing reviews for, such as the Geforce 6800 GT) use AGP Graphic Processing Units.

As such, all PCI-Express cards by Nvidia have a HSI (or High-Speed Interface) to interact with the PCI-Express slot.

It will be some time before we start seeing cards with PCI-X specefic GPU's. At that time, and only then, will you start to see the advantage of PCI-Express.

PCI-Express is the future. Nvidia certainly seems to think so, as they continue to pack their web-page with press-release after press-release about the subject.

Thanks for your time,

Kitsune

Well you gotta remember that games so far don't even use up all the bandwith of AGP 4X. PCI Express is good and all. But if you ask me its a little early to have released it. I mean we still have AGP 8X to fall back on.

EDIT: Oh wait. SLI. I gotta remember its about more than just the bandwith with PCI Express. :rolleyes:

Zeno
08-26-04, 01:07 PM

Um, no, I think that the reason you're not seeing any performance advantage is that every graphics programmer worth their salt has, for years, tried to avoid the performance penalty of working across the AGP bus, especially doing readbacks. As such, game content has been limited to what will fit on the video memory of the card. The bus is only really used when uploading the data as the levels load.

Most benchmarks won't show the difference either, unless you use a video card with less onboard RAM than is required by the benchmark. This is yet another one of those cases of the hardware being required to precede the software that uses it.

Some people have have made programs specifically to test readback performance. See this thread: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=012129

GamerGuyX
08-26-04, 01:21 PM
This is yet another one of those cases of the hardware being required to precede the software that uses it.

Ah. Good point.