PDA

View Full Version : Please Read before buying NV5 Silencer for Ultra

rellingsen
08-25-04, 11:31 PM
My NV5 Silencer came in yesterday and I just got around to installing it today. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get it installed properly. Out of the box it is absolutely worthless without a good bit of modifications. I would not recommend these to anybody unless they were a advanced user with a decent set of tools. It was the worst seating HSF I ever had to deal with. That's coming from somebody who usually makes their own HSF for my GFX cards from Copper P3 CPU HSF's. I knew before purchasing it I would have to modify the back plate on the Ultra but that was no big deal. But after all was said and done the new HSF performed very well.

I started about 3:00 today by opening up my rig and getting the gfx card out. I promptly stripped off the old HS fan from my Ultra. Then I slipped the new HSF on so I could mark the location of where I need to cut out the back plate. It slid right on with no problems. I'm thinking to myself this will be a breeze and should be done in a few minutes. I removed the back plate and cut out the hole where the exhaust goes out.
http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/Backplate.jpg

I put the back plate back on and installed the HSF to check for the dry fit. Guess what? Only three of the memory modules were touching the bottom of the HS and the core was a good .3 mm from the HS. That was with the screws all tightened down! There was broad daylight shining thru the core and the HS. The copper plates they soldered on to contact the memory were too thick (below).
http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/bottom.jpg

It took me at least 2+ hours to slowly take down each of the copper memory plates with numerous dry fits in between to get the core and all the memory making proper contact with no daylight shining thru. Eventually I ended up having to take about half the thickness of the plates off of most of them. Finally I put on the AS5 and installed the HSF.

After it was all done I was pretty happy with the results which was around 6:30PM. As a added bonus I don't get the Ultra spewing all that hot air in my case. My core went from
52C at Idle
to
47C
Under full load I went from 73C down to 63C. Link below of tempsafter multiple loops of rhdribl.
http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/rttemps.jpg

A bigger surprise was my new auto over clock settings are now detected at 455/1.2 from 446/1.19 and is fully stable at those speeds. I did a 3DMark03 run at those speeds below and did very well. My CPU was only at 3.7g for that run. I can't wait to fully push it. Even before the AC NV5 I could already get my memory up to 1.3. After all that work it turned out well. I did not expect to get a HSF that fit so poorly out of the box. They need to do a bit more research.

http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/NV5autooc.JPG
http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/3DM03OC.jpg

Pandora's Box
08-26-04, 10:27 AM
9mhz jump in core and .01 jump in memory? and crap install? hmm artic cooling is getting lazy. i seriously dont think the nv silencer 5 is worth it. i plan on buying the leadtek 6800 GT now for sure. Wasnt 100 percent sure i should get the leadtek or just grab say a pny GT and buy the nv silencer 5. But after reading your post I cant seem to justify getting the nv silencer 5. I wonder how the ati counterparts are doing.

camelot
08-26-04, 10:30 AM
Unless you switch to water cooling i dont think you can do a whole lot better than the stock HSF

Pandora's Box
08-26-04, 11:18 AM
Unless you switch to water cooling i dont think you can do a whole lot better than the stock HSF

yeah that is true. but i have to give some credit to artic cooling for designing a cooler that spits the hot air out the back of the case.

Mojoe
08-26-04, 11:21 AM
I did the same thing as Mr.rellingsen and my temp dropped from 70c to 64c full load at 425/1150. :)

hypertek
08-26-04, 12:05 PM
is this only a problem with teh ultra? soo these boards are slighty different then the gt i presume.

Have you tried running the fan trick at 100% all the time to see a difference in temps?

rellingsen
08-26-04, 12:47 PM
9mhz jump in core and .01 jump in memory? and crap install? hmm artic cooling is getting lazy. i seriously dont think the nv silencer 5 is worth it. i plan on buying the leadtek 6800 GT now for sure. Wasnt 100 percent sure i should get the leadtek or just grab say a pny GT and buy the nv silencer 5. But after reading your post I cant seem to justify getting the nv silencer 5. I wonder how the ati counterparts are doing.

Those where just the differences in the auto detect clock speeds. The memory runs fine up to 1300. I was not expecting to gain any memory speed at all as XFX seen fit to only put what is marked as Samsung 2.0ns ram on this card. I was very happy with the results. Plus the card is running a full 10C lower then before at load.

The real big one is that hot air from the card is taken directly to the outside of the case. I already have a CPU that is putting out 100+ watts of heat that's being pumped in the case.

The problems I seen would probably explain why some people were seeing no change or very little temp wise. Just a quick glance at it installed and it would look like every thing was fine. The memory all pulls fair tight but it's the core in the middle that's the problem with the fairly large gap. Maybe other people had better luck then me? I just know to always dry fit the parts and check it for gaps against a bright light source at diff. angles before installing it. With the thermal compound on there you might never get to see the gap but would result in poor performance because of the lack of direct contact between the core and the HS.

Pandora's Box
08-26-04, 01:08 PM
dont suppose we can get some pics

for the people considering buying a 6800 gt and then getting the nv silencer 5. your better off getting the leadtek 6800 gt for 399.99 (look on pricewatch.com) and just leaving the custom cooler on there. sure it wont blow the hot air out the back but it keeps the card cooler than the reference 6800 GT cooler.

rancid
08-26-04, 03:42 PM
Sorry I disagree 100% with this post. See my post for my opinions on the cooler. I had no problems with this cooler on my EVGA GT Card. You can also see the improvement in OC'ing I got by adding the artic.

rellingsen
08-26-04, 05:20 PM
Sorry I disagree 100% with this post. See my post for my opinions on the cooler. I had no problems with this cooler on my EVGA GT Card. You can also see the improvement in OC'ing I got by adding the artic.

I don't know why you would disagree with my post. It's not like I posted anything that was untrue or made stuff up. The HSF just did not seat properly on my Ultra. You also mounted yours on a GT not a Ultra. At the very least a Ultra user would have to remove the back plate off the card and have a way to cut a hole in it so the exhaust can get out like I had to do in my first pic above. That's only if he/she gets a card that seats perfectly. Mine did not seat right which required considerable work to get to seat perfectly. It may just be down to the differences in the way the cards are made or it could be a quality control issue with Arctic Cooling but it certainly did not just go on without problems in my case.
It also would have been nice if AC included the needed back plate for the Ultra seeing as how they claim it is made for the GT/Ultra. It might have cost them a whole $0.20.
I do think it's a pretty good cooler once it's up and running properly though. I would also expect that you would see a greater temp drop and o/c with the GT's. The NV5 is twice the size of a GT cooler but only slightly larger then a Ultra Cooler aside from the thick copper base.

zoomy942
08-26-04, 05:47 PM
hey relling, did you remove the heat spreader from the core? i have some cooling comiong in today and i dont know if i should remove it. anyone think i should?

rellingsen
08-26-04, 05:57 PM
I just took off the old HSF and memory cooler and put the NV5 on. I did not do anything to the core besides clean it up or the shim around it.