PDA

View Full Version : new intel boards are going to break my piggy bank

vicious2003
08-26-04, 01:54 AM
I am involved in intel's retail edge program. I was excited to snag a brand new 915p motherboard, a 3.4 ghz w/ht processor, and a copy of windows xp pro. All of this is 200 bucks. I was so excited. Then I saw that there are no agp slots on the board. HMMM. I have to buy a new graphics card it looks like. Next, the motherboard takes ddr2 memory. I mean. I just bought 1gig of 400mhz ddr ram. Talk about a kick in the teeth. Does anyone know if ddr2 slots will support ddr ram and if nvidia or ati plans on making 512 pci express boards before october is up?

FastM
08-26-04, 02:28 AM
Intel is so ahead of themselves. Trying to push new tech like pci-e video cards and DDR2 when their P4 is not going anywhere

one word. Athlon64. Cheaper, Faster.

To answer your question, No DDR memory does not work in DDR2 slots and we would of already seen 512megs around if they where going to be out within a month or 2.

ynnek
08-26-04, 02:40 PM
there is one major advantage of with their new motherboards, they use differential signal lines on the boards now, that is easier to route and less prone to interfernence.. My friend in networking says its a pain to figure out how to layout lines on a board, that works, but also doesn't generate too much noise that can interfere with other things inside the case. so with the new boards, it will be easier.. End user probably won't care, but everyone else making and designing the stuff will.

PCI-e overall will have its advantges, and same with DDR2 and the 775 pin socket, once they start cranking up the speed.. It does make sense, that they are trying to convert everyone over now, so its easier later.

So I agree, right now, there's not really much of a compelling reason to switch over.. but if you look at what the OEM's like Dell is releasing mainstream, the stuff seems just about as cheap as the AGP 478 stuff it replaced? how they manage to do that, i dunno.

CainSyris
08-30-04, 07:01 AM
there is one major advantage of with their new motherboards, they use differential signal lines on the boards now, that is easier to route and less prone to interfernence.. My friend in networking says its a pain to figure out how to layout lines on a board, that works, but also doesn't generate too much noise that can interfere with other things inside the case. so with the new boards, it will be easier.. End user probably won't care, but everyone else making and designing the stuff will.

PCI-e overall will have its advantges, and same with DDR2 and the 775 pin socket, once they start cranking up the speed.. It does make sense, that they are trying to convert everyone over now, so its easier later.

So I agree, right now, there's not really much of a compelling reason to switch over.. but if you look at what the OEM's like Dell is releasing mainstream, the stuff seems just about as cheap as the AGP 478 stuff it replaced? how they manage to do that, i dunno.

Because Dell says, "Jump!" and Intel asks, "How high?" In other words, Dell tells Intel what price they will pay for Intel hardware and Intel complies because a great deal of Intel's business is from Dell who is still using only Intel. Even the hint of Dell considering AMD keeps Intel doing the lower price jig.

Moreover, Dell is able to absorb most OEM boards for things like X800XT's and such because Dell has the money and the brandname power to bully the part makers into accepting any terms just so long as they're able to mass produce parts that are then part of Dell computers.

That's how Dell gets the low prices.