PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

FastM
08-26-04, 01:26 AM
Maybe its just me but i find company's like Toshiba and Compaq dont design their laptops very well. A friend of mine is looking for a pretty nice laptop and i cant find anything with an A64, DDR400 memory, 9700 or 9800, at least a 5400rpm 60 or 80gig hd and a decent screen.

Dell's XPS line is a nice system but to expensive (and only intel), Toshiba does not seem to have 1 AMD system either, then all the A64 compaqs are paired with slow memory and 4200rpm harddrives and crappy graphics

karkrash81
08-26-04, 07:47 AM
now don't shudder when i say "e-machines"

My mom got a AMD 64 3200 with a ATI 9600 mobility, 80gig hard drive, widescreen display, dvd rw,

Now, I know e-machines doesn't seem like a nice name but i was really impressed with this laptop...the price is unbeatable...very solid build quality and great features

It's gonna be real tough to find a low priced laptop with a 9700 vid card or a 9800 for that matter...

gaming laptops are still a rare thing...unless you go the alienware, voodoopc route...hopefully things will change in the future...

and i hear the ati mobility 9800 is a kick ass card

saturnotaku
08-26-04, 07:52 AM
I'll second eMachines. I've heard nothing but great things about their laptops.

I also would consider picking up the latest issue of MaximumPC and looking at some of the ads for some smaller companies who make laptops.

Also, be sure to give PowerNotebooks (http://www.powernotebooks.com/) a look. I single them out because they have a darn near perfect rating at resellerratings (9.98). Good luck!

karkrash81
08-26-04, 11:14 AM
since the amd 64 3400 has recently been released for mobile platforms...maybe emachines has added a new model in their lineup that also has a better video card than a 9600 mobility....

Hyper_Snyper
09-01-04, 03:42 PM
I have an HP Pavilion and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. It's a model Zt3000 and it's loaded. Just look at the specs in my sig and it has 802.11g and a widescreen monitor. I'm in college right now so I lug it to class everyday. It's pretty light and pretty resilient (sp?) to damage. I recommend it.

superklye
09-01-04, 04:21 PM
I don't like laptops most of the time because of their keyboards. Apart from that, the limited upgradability they have is also a negative to me.

Besides having that tower is just so...cool. :)

de><ta
09-01-04, 05:50 PM
check this forum for some good info on laptops:

www.notebookforums.com