PDA

View Full Version : Edge and texture aliasing artifacts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Terminator
08-26-04, 03:45 AM
For example Vice City looks like there is no antialiasing when it s set to 4X.If i set it to 8X it gets better but it s far from what u would call good quality.I went from 61.77 to 66.00 but no diffrence.Any ideas?
Here s a couple of screens...look at all the edges...that s very poor for AA4X

p.s. system: Athlon64 3400+ Abit KV8-MAX3 Leadtek 6800GT 1gb PC3200 Kingmax TinyBGA,no overclocking

Terminator
08-26-04, 03:49 AM
and another one...

Roamerick
08-26-04, 05:27 AM
Hi there,

I had the same problem with the 61.77's in BF: Vietnam, CounterStrike and StarWars Galaxies, amongst others. Installing the 66.00 betas on top seemed to do the trick, now AA and AF work properly all the way from 2x up.

Sorry if this isnt much help.

Terminator
08-26-04, 09:59 AM
66.00 didn t do it for me.I m really dissapointed about this.As u can see Vice City looks pretty bad.Anyone having this problem?

FearMeAll
08-26-04, 11:18 AM
I can't tell if you have FSAA on or off because the jpeg compression is so bad.
From what I tell it looks like FSAA is on..the buildings all have smooth edges..soo..what do you expect FSAA to look like?
Also your ground textures look awefully grainy. it just looks like you need anistropic filtering as well. just set anistropic filtering to 16x and the problem I think you are having will go away. But you definately have Antialiasing on no doubt.
FSAA does really nothing for textures unless you use supersampling.
I run Vice City on my GT and it looks as good as that game is going to get and noting is grainy at all.
I always run with FSAA to 4x and aniso at 16x at 1400x1050.
we have about the same computer so you shouldn't have a problem..I think it's just user error.

Terminator
08-26-04, 12:17 PM
Unfortunatelly is not user error.The jpeg compression is not bad...that s just the way the game looks.And when you re moving in the game i can assure u it looks worse.From AA4X to 8X there is some improvement but from AF8X to 16X there is no diffrence at all.I really can t figure it out.I can t see a straight line in that game...
Even with an old Ti4200 i didn t have such worse graphics with AA4X and AF2X

Any setting that i should know about for this game?

NyquistLimit
08-26-04, 04:25 PM
Those pics definitely look like they have 4xAA applied so I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting. I think what you're after is some decent texture filtering.

Terminator
08-26-04, 05:49 PM
Start lookin a little more in the background.There is no AA there.Normally u would think that it misses some AF but like i said moving it to 16X made no diffrence.I know what i m talking about.And as i start to move everything looks just plain ridiculous.This is not normal with AA4X and AF8X.I had a X800pro and there were no problems with this setting.When i move AA to 8X it looks better but not at 8X level.It looks more like 2X
Anyways the problem is there and i don t know what can fix it

JD-Scorpion
08-27-04, 12:28 AM
Hey, guys I know whats he's talking about!!

If you look at the pic with the red marks you can see whats going on. Believe me it looks worst in action. Its like a shimmering effect is going on in the background buildings as you walk. It happends at both levels of AA listed in the problem pic and it's even worst at the 2xAA settings.

To solve this problem Terminator use the 8xAA and 16AF settings and you will be good to go!!

I hope nvidia will solve this problem, because my "retired" 9800 Pro did a better job at 2xAA levels -vs- nvidia 4xAA levels within (GTA:VC).

4xAA 8xAF\16AF settings: Problem!!
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Hosted/Images/GTA-vc2004-08-2623-55-30-64.jpg

8xAA 16xAF: Problem Solved!!
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Hosted/Images/GTA-vc2004-08-2700-03-32-10.jpg

Terminator
08-27-04, 02:32 AM
Glad somebody agrees with me.I mean just look at the third picture i attached and notice the yellow line in the middle of the road.It s just in front of you and it s not even straight.

Now I m using AA&AF at 8X but definately there s a problem that should be solved.I ve never seen such bad graphics with that level of AA and AF.I wonder how GTA3 looks...

Hygge
08-27-04, 04:48 AM
Hey, guys I know whats he's talking about!!

I hope nvidia will solve this problem, because my "retired" 9800 Pro did a better job at 2xAA levels -vs- nvidia 4xAA levels within (GTA:VC).

I must agree on this. I just got a 6800GT and before that I had a 9800Pro.
The game I play the most is F1 Challenge (done over 10 000 laps).
First time I played I had the same settings as I had with my 9800Pro - 4xAA and 8xAF. On my 9800Pro all the white lines by the side of the road were supersharp. With my 6800GT and 4xAA there were jaggies all over the place. Had to set AA to 8x, but even then all jaggies aren't eliminated. And the framerate takes a hit when have to set this to 8x as well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with my card in other games but F1C really needs good AA because you see lines so far in distance and the Nvidia drivers just doesn't deliver here.

Does anyone know if the AA quality is better with older drivers and are there any other F1C freak in here that can comment on this?

/Hygge

FearMeAll
08-27-04, 11:49 AM
perhaps anistropic opts are causing this..so the supersampling effect of 8s seems to correct the texture ailiasing. Set anistropic filtering to high quality and FSAA to 4x and see if your problem goes away. I always notice a hell of a lot of shimmering with opts on. I still use them though, because with opts on the performance hit is great..but it doesn't matter for vice city.

Terminator
08-27-04, 02:36 PM
Somebody at NvidiA should know about this because i don t want to change the settings every time i want to play Vice City or another game with this problem

6800_m0nster
08-27-04, 05:13 PM
Terminator, try the 1200x1600 or 1280x1228(i dont know about this one though)
maybe that'll help your problem :)
iff your monitor support's it. but your systen is able to handle that.
:clap:

fivefeet8
08-27-04, 05:22 PM
Somebody at NvidiA should know about this because i don t want to change the settings every time i want to play Vice City or another game with this problem

That's why Nvidia cards have game profiles which is automatically launched when you run the game. You can make a profile for GTA:VC and be done with it.

SigmaOrionis
08-28-04, 03:59 PM
I agree with Terminator. I've already posted several threads about this. I really notice it in UT2004 and BF1942. The way it looks for me is things get AA right in front of you to about 1/3 of the draw distance.

As you walk forward things will get AA applied to them. That is what causes the shimmering. Its almost like the NV drivers are not applying full screen AA. Thats why this only shows up in games with longer draw distances and more open areas.

Try this test load up BF1942 map like El-Alamein. Walk forward slowly and then backwards. You can actually see the line that the AA is being applied at.

At first I thought this was a texturing optimization buts its not because turning off AA and leaving AF on fixes the problem of the shimmering.

I think Nvidia is doing something in there drivers to speed up AA but it looks like crap.

I have to say that 2x on my 9500 Pro looked better than NVs 4x on my 6800GT. The 9500 Pro applied AA to everthing in a scene that qualified under Multisampling.

My friend also noticed this problem right away and we both almost took our 6800GTs back. Then we decided to wait and see if they can fix it in a drivers update.

Solutions:
Use 8xAA which seems to push the AA line out further so the shimmering is not right in the middle of your damn screen. Plus the added bonus of it AAing some of the textures to. Problem with this solution is it aint gonna work in newer games. Unless you like slide shows.

Hygge
08-28-04, 05:39 PM

I have to say that 2x on my 9500 Pro looked better than NVs 4x on my 6800GT. The 9500 Pro applied AA to everthing in a scene that qualified under Multisampling.

My friend also noticed this problem right away and we both almost took our 6800GTs back. Then we decided to wait and see if they can fix it in a drivers update.

Solutions:
Use 8xAA which seems to push the AA line out further so the shimmering is not right in the middle of your damn screen. Plus the added bonus of it AAing some of the textures to. Problem with this solution is it aint gonna work in newer games. Unless you like slide shows.

My friend and I also went from ATi cards some weeks ago and we also considered bringing them back. But I realize my GT is a great card. It's just the AA in some games that really isn''t up to par compared to ATi:s drivers.

I have 8xAA on in F1C. The fps doesnt drop that dramatically in this game. The game is more cpu dependent once you got a descent gfx card. But it's a shame you have to enable 8xAA when it's even not better than ATi:s 4xAA (for F1C anyway). Hope this gets adressed so one doesn't have to enable 8xAA in newer games to get descent IQ because then it will - as you say SigmaOrionis - be unplayable.

Hygge

Lfctony
08-28-04, 05:43 PM
AA looks fine to me, I tested in MOH and UT2004 after reading these posts. I honestly can't see a difference in 4xAA between this card and my previous 9800 Pro. Maybe a difference exists, but I can't spot it.

fivefeet8
08-28-04, 05:55 PM
Post up some AA screenshots from Ut2k4. I don't have GTA:VC. But if this AA issue occurs on Ut2k4, then a screenshot of it would show it. I also don't see much difference between AA on my 6800 ultra. It looks fine and better than the old 4xOGMS AA.

Terminator
08-30-04, 12:21 PM
Don t think that everybody has this problem with AA and AF...
zbut for sure it s a driver problem and i wonder if it s going to be fixed

And let s not talk about that annoing stuttering effect that i get in the first 5seconds of playing Vice City

Vapor Trail
08-30-04, 12:31 PM
You may want to make sure that there isn't already a profile for those games with different settings than what you think is being applied.

Terminator
08-30-04, 05:27 PM
there is no profile for Vice City

FearMeAll
08-31-04, 10:16 AM
there is no profile for Vice City
umm..you can make your own profile in the drivers..
I have one called "Vsync on" for certain games that run too fast with vsync off..

GravY
08-31-04, 10:56 AM
Im seeing this with COH.. drives me nuts, all stret lines and building lines crawl and shimmer.. I run 4xaa 16xaf, turned on High Quailty in drivers and turned off optimizations and still is present.. im running the 66.00 drivers now but have seen this with all drivers..

8xs does help alot, but takes too big of a hit to use..

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/4444/cocprob1.jpg

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/2866/cocprob2.jpg

DoubleDeuce
08-31-04, 11:22 AM
I haven't seen the rolling lines but rather noticed that when AA is applied within UT2k4 that opponents/objects at a distance seem more blurred even with 8x/16x AF applied. If i take AA off, its all very clear/crisp. Anyone else noticed this effect?

BTW-Currently using the 66.00 betas.