PDA

View Full Version : one thing i suck at... wire managment

Kamel
08-26-04, 06:09 AM
anyone here got any tips on wire managment? or got a tutorial or something on it? for some reason, i have this unnatural ability to have the most cluttered ugly wires possible in my case. it looks horrible. i've tried to move things around and used a bunch of twist-ties to put the wires together, but it still looks horrible. any advise would be much appreciated.

karkrash81
08-26-04, 07:39 AM
get some pull ties...the only thing is they're a pain to undo so make sure you set everything up the way you want before putting them on...

Could try twisty ties but make sure none of the wire inside the twisty tie is exposed...

First i would unplug all your molex connectors from your computer and see if you have any extra connections (splitters)

I removed 3 splitters from my system recently...

Then reconnect everything as logically as you can...use shorter connections for components closer to the power supply ... and longer connections for components farther away...

relocating hard drives, optical drives, etc might also help

Also, round IDE and floppy cables are a must have...

And don't bend your SATA cables, keep them curved or you'll possibly lose data

or get a massive case ... haha with lots more room

ricercar
08-26-04, 11:33 AM
Buy a bag of 1000 locking plastic cable ties and practice until you're happy. They cost about $8 at Fry's. Vast quantities allow you to redo a path if you find a better way. Coordinate the colors of your round IDE and floppy cables with the cable ties.

Do not attempt to tie cables in place after the cables are installed. Unplug everything and install your wiring again slowly and with care. Tie the cables in place one by one with temp twist ties or trash bag ties. When you are done, then break out the locking ties.

If you have a window case, arrange cables around the window out of sight, hidden behind the motherboard and drive bays. Use the holes in the case for unused drives and unused motherboard posts to anchor cables in place. If you have to cross the main area with cables, consider anchoring the cables to a PCI/AGP cardfor neatness and stability. Most add-in cards have holes to accomodate this.

Pandora's Box
08-26-04, 12:23 PM
stuff all the cables behind the cdrom drive trays and behind the motherboard tray. worked for me lol.

Ninjaman09
08-26-04, 01:54 PM
My case is large enough that there's some space available above the power supply and between the 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" bays. I just crammed all my cables in that way, as well as my flat IDE cables. I made sure they stayed out of the way with twist-ties (no exposed wire).

BTW, what's this about losing data with SATA cables? Mind sort of "bend" in a couple of places (no avoiding this due to the way the hard drives mount in the case), but I've had no troubles.

Anyway, before I cleaned up my cables, my idle and load temps were much higher, especially on my video card. So, good cable management DOES make a difference!

karkrash81
08-27-04, 06:55 AM
From what i understand SATA cables should stay curved and never be bent at an angle... I've never tried it to be sure... but apparently it can damage data transmission...

SH64
08-27-04, 02:15 PM
anyone here got any tips on wire managment? or got a tutorial or something on it? for some reason, i have this unnatural ability to have the most cluttered ugly wires possible in my case. it looks horrible. i've tried to move things around and used a bunch of twist-ties to put the wires together, but it still looks horrible. any advise would be much appreciated.

Ah .. i got the same problem ... just dont look to my Tt case which has 4 fans (2x80mm / 2x90mm) & a controller .. wires everywhere . its a mess but i try to live with it . :|

superklye
08-27-04, 02:21 PM
I have so many wires it's almost scary. I am really considering spending $120 on a 480W Antec modular (i think that's what it's called) PSU where you only attach the connectors you're actually using and take off the ones you aren't. It's a fantastic design and can really cut down on unnecessary clutter. My friend has one and loves it.

It's silent, too.

UDawg
08-27-04, 03:43 PM
You guys are all STUPID! Just don't hook the wires up and you don't have the mess. DUH!