PDA

View Full Version : Memory voltage question.

Bah!
08-26-04, 06:23 AM
I just put together a A64 system and i was planning on just using my old ram for a while until i can get some better stuff. The problem i am having is that one stick is 2.5v Kingston and the other is 2.6v Crucial and they don't seem to like each other with this new board (although they were fine in my old system).

The lowest voltage i can go on the board is 2.6v which means i'm already overvolting the Kingston, but its not stable. If i go up to 2.7v its perfectly stable. I have never messed with the voltage on Ram, so my question is will this fry the ram leaving it at 2.7v or is it ok? I'm not raising the speed or anything, just the volts.

Kamel
08-26-04, 06:35 AM
2.7v is _fine_ depending on the ram. kingston should hold it with no problems. anything until 2.9 i wouldn't worry about... 2.9, 3, 3.1 can be dangerous over time. 3.2 and 3.3 are dangerous immediately, lol.

2.7 is about the upper limit of the ram being fine. i would run it under a stress test though and then check with your hand the temp of the ram. it can get pretty hot, but as long as it doesn't feel like it's over 120F it should be fine (uhmm, if it doesn't feel like it's burning you, lol)

optionally, you can try relaxing the timings a bit to see if that helps. sometimes this is a better solution than upping the voltage, but personally i'd up the voltage :)

karkrash81
08-26-04, 07:34 AM
I had some GEiL PC4000 memory that would only run stable at 2.8v... According to GEiL their memory was tested to run stable at up to 3.0v

Check the manufacturer's site for specs or if it came with any documentation...

2.7 shouldn't hurt anything...it may just create more thermal output

what's the Cas latency? might change that to 3 instead of 2.5 or 2...

Bah!
08-26-04, 08:58 AM
Damn, i didn't even think about relaxing the timings..hehe. My ram has a CAS of 2.5 and thats what its set at atm.

Anyway thanks for the help fellas, i guess i'll just stess the hell out of it with demos for a couple of hours and see how it holds up. Hopefully it will last me another month or so till i can get some better ram.