PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 Ultra - OS Freezing

bimmerhitman
08-26-04, 10:25 AM
Ok, before everyone flames me, this is NOT the same issue that I have seen here in the forums with freezing and/or pausing in games. This is in regards to freezing in the OS. I do not even get to try a game 9 times out of 10. I did take the advice of the posts and disable Fast Writes in the mboard bios and this has not resolved the issue. My specs are as follows:

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
1 GB Kingston RAM
BFG 6800 OC Ultra
Windwows XP

The system will freeze at different times. Sometimes it's at the login prompt, sometimes it's when the system has been running for 5 minutes, sometimes it does not make it to the login prompt. Everything was working fine with my Ti4400 but now that I have the 6800 I am having these freezing issues. Nothing on my system is OC'd at all. Everything is set to the defaults. I know there have been alot of suggestions on making the 2D and 3D setting the same but I do not have the opportunity to do this before it freezes and I also do not honestly think that this is my problem. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to alleviate this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

camelot
08-26-04, 10:28 AM
Check your PSU - the demands of a 6800 ultra are FAR higher than your Ti and a flaky PSU will cause all sorts of stability issues.

bimmerhitman
08-26-04, 10:48 AM
Sorry - I forgot to include that I have a 480 Watt Power Suppy which should be plenty for this as I understand it.

Thanks

skoob
08-26-04, 10:49 AM
Ok, before everyone flames me, this is NOT the same issue that I have seen here in the forums with freezing and/or pausing in games. This is in regards to freezing in the OS. I do not even get to try a game 9 times out of 10. I did take the advice of the posts and disable Fast Writes in the mboard bios and this has not resolved the issue. My specs are as follows:

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
1 GB Kingston RAM
BFG 6800 OC Ultra
Windwows XP

The system will freeze at different times. Sometimes it's at the login prompt, sometimes it's when the system has been running for 5 minutes, sometimes it does not make it to the login prompt. Everything was working fine with my Ti4400 but now that I have the 6800 I am having these freezing issues. Nothing on my system is OC'd at all. Everything is set to the defaults. I know there have been alot of suggestions on making the 2D and 3D setting the same but I do not have the opportunity to do this before it freezes and I also do not honestly think that this is my problem. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to alleviate this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I had/have the same problem with my BFG 6800U OC and my msi k8t800 neo mobo. Randomly it would freeze and I had to reset the pc. On each occasion I found the bios had reset itself to defaults. It looked like a psu problem but I have a 550W psu installed so it "shouldnt" be that. I updated my bios to the latest and went back to older drivers from the 66.00 ones and it appears to be ok now. Although I havent used the pc enough since then to be absolutely sure.

skooby