PDA

View Full Version : Screen stretching\deforming for no reason..?

CaptNKILL
08-26-04, 03:07 PM
Ive had this happen once before, and I have no idea what it is.

For no reason at all, my desktop, and everything on it will be stretched at least 2x the size it should be. It just happens randomly in windows! A few minutes ago i clicked a link to a video on these forums and it happened. The video display was off center in media player. The mouse is totaly inacurate (it remains the same size, but the closer to the edge of screen you are, the farther the "click" is from the cursor (ie, the pointer image does not represent where the mouse is in windows).

I attempted to take a screen shot of the problem using print screen but it didnt help much because it showed a NORMAL windows screen. Not stretched. The strange thing is, the mouse cursor is gone in the screen capture, despite having a button highlighted (in IE, when you move the cursor over buttons, they poke up... one is poked up, but the cursor is nowhere to be seen).

I got rid of the problem by closing all IE windows and the Media Player window that seemed to start it all. I still had a yahoo messenger window open and it didnt seem to cause a problem.

What i have running in my taskbar:
Yahoo Instant Messenger

And thats it. It has happened before with older drivers so I dont know what the problem is.

Anyone else experience this? Sorry if its hard to understand, its the wierdest thing ive ever seen, i cant really describe it any better. I guess it feels like the desktop is being stretched to 2 monitors, but the cursor image is still only on 1. Thats the only explaination i have... but why would this happen out of nowhere? Nview isnt enabled on my system.

dewsky
08-29-04, 10:02 AM
yes i have the same problem i am looking for a fix but cant seem to find one. I am running a bfg 6800gt with 61.77 drivers . I need to know wtf is going on.

dewsky
08-29-04, 10:22 AM
Sry for a dbl post but i have also called bfg tech support and they have no idea what is going on they said I should try it in another computer and i said no duh but it only happens every once in a while so i am not even gauranteed it would happen in that comp. I am starting to think it is either some sort of weird driver problem or the card is f***ed up which sucks cause i just got this thing.

Dot50Cal
08-29-04, 11:08 AM
! Same thing here! EVGA 6800GT. I started getting it after I installed the 66.00 drivers. I dont know what it is but it seems like whenever white is displayed my monitor resizes itself so there are two black bars about 1 inch in size.

When I cold boot though the screen is stretched so that 1-2 inches is not visible and cut off on each side. Its VERY anoying and now Im very concerned that its a Video Card problem.

dewsky
09-07-04, 11:00 AM
anyone have any idea what is the problem????

BadDude
01-10-05, 10:39 AM
i ve got the same problem with an asusv9999. not double, but about 100x. a my documents icon takes about 768px height. but it is only vertical strecht for me. very annoying.

Delbert
01-10-05, 11:08 AM
Also seen this problem in the past. Happened on my old Ti4200... all icons go really big, screen was stretched off the monitor, but mouse is still scalled at correct level.... not seen it on my 6800GT yet... i suspect it is a driver bug somewhere... only happened to me when i was browsing, not in other apps.... i had to remember the keys to shutdown the machine thru task manager.... Once rebooted everything was fine, until the next time.....

BadDude
01-11-05, 03:04 AM
Yeah. A little bit hard to reboot, because the opened taskmanager is out of screen, the shut down window too, but it is not impossible. It is happened to me in various enviroment, in CS:Source, in HalfLife2, an during browsing. My girlfriend said it is happened to her during scrolling with the mousewheel. I don't remember, if I scrolled with it when it happened to me. Driver bug, driver bug :(( I tried about 3 different driver. But this is the first place, I found somebody with this problem. And the strange thing is that I had this vga in a different machine, and in that there wasn't this problem. Sigh ... Maybe I will try some beta drivers too.

SLippe
01-11-05, 03:34 AM
I've had this happen, also. It's happened on my comp and my parent's comp. They have a TNT 64 card with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. I don't know if it is driver related or what, but kinda looks that way. I can't remember what drivers I was using at the time, but I only install official drivers on my parent's comp.

BadDude
01-11-05, 05:45 AM
now i realized, that asus released a new driver. i will try it. because i used nvidia drivers, and the asus enhanced driver. maybe the official asus driver solve it. i will report of it ;)

CaptNKILL
01-11-05, 10:37 AM
Ive been using 67.02 drivers for a while now, and Im happy to say that I havent had this problem in a really long time. They might have fixed it, or I might just be lucky... its hard to say.

If you guys can do something that reproduces this problem reliably, try getting the 67.02\67.03 drivers and then see if that fixes it.

racingx
01-12-05, 05:07 PM
Try to set your FSAA and AF settings in the Nvidia control panel to application controlled and see if it clears your problem up.

BadDude
01-18-05, 03:32 AM
Hi there.
I installed the 67.03 driver from NVidia, and the problem not happened again. Yet ;)
The FSAA and FA setting are application controlled, except for Everquest2, because eq2 doesn't know antialiasing :thumbdwn:

Thanks for the help.