PDA

View Full Version : No soundstorm for nforce4

Cota
08-26-04, 05:19 PM
According to techreport the nforce4 will not have soundstom but it will have multichannel sound.

fastguy94416
08-26-04, 06:37 PM
I yearn for the days of the KT7, nothing integrated on the entire board. I suppose I could live with ethernet, but no sound, no software raid, no blinking lights, i'd be a happy camper.

superklye
08-26-04, 08:52 PM
I yearn for the days of the KT7, nothing integrated on the entire board. I suppose I could live with ethernet, but no sound, no software raid, no blinking lights, i'd be a happy camper.

why no integrated stuff for you?

fastguy94416
08-27-04, 12:57 AM
I don't like to pay for what I don't use. I have the sound card I like, and If I ever needed a raid array, I would buy a dedicated, hopefully hardware, soloution. The one new fangled gadget I do like is the power switches and the diagnosic LED's

superklye
08-27-04, 01:29 AM
I don't like to pay for what I don't use. I have the sound card I like, and If I ever needed a raid array, I would buy a dedicated, hopefully hardware, soloution. The one new fangled gadget I do like is the power switches and the diagnosic LED's

good call, good call.

Cheimison
08-27-04, 02:46 AM
Dude, that stuff doesn't cost money anymore. That's why it's on there. They always add worthless stuff onto products to make them seem cooler.

Kamel
08-27-04, 06:00 AM
yea, those integrated IDE controller cards are just over the top :(

a bit on the serious side, i love integrated stuff. it keeps things neat and ensures plenty of room for expansion. integrated sound is a good idea, but the soundstorm is a piece of junk. i'm not sure wether this is a good thing or a bad thing; though tbh i don't like any sound product for the comp atm. creative reminds me of rockafella, and no one is stopping it.

nutball
08-27-04, 06:08 AM
integrated sound is a good idea, but the soundstorm is a piece of junk.

It sounds alright to me. Are you using analogue or digital out?

monkeydust
08-27-04, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I never use onboard sound and would rather not have it on my mobo at all. I remember having some issues when I had onboad sound with the drivers getting confused and some IRQ issues. I'd rather just use my Audigy 2 card.

netviper13
08-27-04, 10:18 AM
yea, those integrated IDE controller cards are just over the top :(

a bit on the serious side, i love integrated stuff. it keeps things neat and ensures plenty of room for expansion. integrated sound is a good idea, but the soundstorm is a piece of junk. i'm not sure wether this is a good thing or a bad thing; though tbh i don't like any sound product for the comp atm. creative reminds me of rockafella, and no one is stopping it.

The only true use of Soundstorm is when using digital-out, otherwise you're at the mercy of crappy DACs that motherboard makers place on their boards.

superklye
08-27-04, 02:23 PM
what would you use if you didn't have an integrated IDE controller? A daughterboard?

nutball
08-29-04, 06:33 AM
The only true use of Soundstorm is when using digital-out, otherwise you're at the mercy of crappy DACs that motherboard makers place on their boards.

Perrrcisely. With the DD5.1 out via optical doodad connect it's "Teh R0x0r" IMO.

|JuiceZ|
08-29-04, 04:45 PM
Perrrcisely. With the DD5.1 out via optical doodad connect it's "Teh R0x0r" IMO.

. :cool:

SavagePaladin
09-06-04, 11:58 AM
I've been using analog fine (headset) with my Abit AN7 (658 codec instead of 650)

I'm sure it could still be better but it's nowhere near the mess in analog the board I had (with a 650) was.

As to the comments about not having anything integrated...well hell, I love it. It just makes life that much simpler.

There's no overhead incurred by the PCI bus. With PCI Express that last bit won't be as much of an issue, of course. Integrated stuff is far cheaper, and has no physical setup involved. Since there's only one driver pack, you can trust everything will play nice together. (I know some addon cards have drivers so bad they cause failures on mobo component drivers.)

Soundstorm may have had some bad execution, but IMO it was a wonderful product, and I hope they resurrect it. I don't care one way or the other about integrated graphics...they're good for clueless or non gamer people...but everything else...go for it. Even if they only bring it back in a completely different way, it'd be worthy.

Nutty
09-06-04, 02:32 PM
Yeah digital 5.1 on my SoundStorm is great.. I cant find a single fault with it. Probably the best integrated sound solution ever.