PDA

View Full Version : Newegg strikes again!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

skypx
08-26-04, 06:28 PM
This is, plain and simple, extortion. I understand supply and demand but Newegg needs to stop taking advantage of their customers. I will never purchase this processor at this price. This is (along with other reasons) why I stopped getting my computer equipment from zipzoomfly.

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53 (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-458&depa=0)

camelot
08-26-04, 06:48 PM
Like you said, its supply and demand. I wouldnt spend that much either, but im happy to buy from the egg at prices i DO want to pay. Its the same situation with X800s and 6800s.

skypx
08-26-04, 07:01 PM
Like you said, its supply and demand. I wouldnt spend that much either, but im happy to buy from the egg at prices i DO want to pay. Its the same situation with X800s and 6800s.

I was so upset I actually called them. I spoke to Craig, he gave me a song and dance about how they try to pass on savings to their customers. Basically his point was their prices reflect what they paid for the product. I find it hard to believe AMD is selling an OEM Athlon 64 FX-53 for $925. :lame:

sabrewulf165
08-26-04, 07:34 PM
it's not like it doesn't cost almost $800 even when they're "cheap". If you're rich enough to shell out that much for a proc, what's another hundred bucks :shrug:

That being said, I do agree that a lot of vendors should be ashamed of their behaviors lately as regards to price gouging, especially concerning the the Arctic Silencers as well as the X800 XT's (the few places that have them in stock only have them in stock becuase they're charging far too much for anyone to buy them... great strategy dumbasses :rolleyes: )

CaptNKILL
08-26-04, 08:44 PM
Im sorry, but why do people make such a big deal out of this stuff? Have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years?

The most powerfull thing is expensive. Really expensive. If its hard to find and there are enough rich bastards to afford it then the price will be higher. Supply and demand.

ynnek
08-26-04, 08:52 PM
I hope you guys never have to buy diamonds... ;)

GlowStick
08-26-04, 09:16 PM
I bought the same cpu for 811$, newegg has started a nasty habit of over chargieng for everything. They are really takeing advantage of people.

BrianG
08-26-04, 09:30 PM
That is the fine line of the free market. What do you do?

Look ,the recent Doom3 hardware explosion and ATI and NVIDIA's absolute DOMINANCE when it comes to D3 have caused certain parts to go from big dollar dust collectors to higher priced hotcakes. It will even out, but the simple fact is that AMD will adjust supply to maintain profits and give their partners a shot at the profits. If the distributors deem it necessary to raise prices, so be it. Don't get one.

I am a free market kind of guy. Don't let me get started about my economics beliefs, etc. You won't be able to shut me up.

I would get an A46 754 right now and upgrade again when HL2 lets ATI vendors and Pentium4's gouge consumers. Heh.

jAkUp
08-27-04, 02:48 AM
I work at a computer store... I am able to see cost on all kinds of items. evga charges us $549 to buy their 6800 Ultra through our vendor. Cost on a 939 FX is in the $800 range. Very little money is made off of computer components.

DaveW
08-28-04, 09:37 AM
I bought the same cpu for 811$, newegg has started a nasty habit of over chargieng for everything. They are really takeing advantage of people.

It depends on how long they have had it in stock. If they paid 900 for a part, they are going to try and sell it for atleast that, even if its been in stock for a month and competitors have it for 800. They would loose money otherwise.

The alternative is what other online retailers do and that is to order the product from the manufacturer AFTER the customer orders from you. You mark the product as "in stock" on your web site, collect 20 orders, then order the product from the manufacturer and then ship it to the customer. Of course if the manufacturer can't ship to you immediately, then you can't ship immediate, and then your customers start to call and ask why a product they ordered a week ago isn't shipped yet. So you make up some BS story, in the mean time change the status to "back-ordered" on your website so you don't get any more orders and hope for the best.

NutSack
08-28-04, 09:50 AM
jAkUp's right, most computer components there isn't much markup, same with certain software as well. Videocards, KVM Switches, all cabling, and a few other things there is a decent amount of markup.(wack)

lIqUID
08-28-04, 10:34 AM
If someone can even afford to pay half that for only a CPU then they have no right to cry about anything period. Get a grip. :lame:

CainSyris
08-30-04, 05:06 AM
Glad I bought mine already... ;)

ldspears
08-30-04, 03:13 PM
:smoking2: :smoking2: :smoking2:
I agree that newegg and a lot of other Internet sites are taking advantage of their customers. When a new video card comes out or some other new PC product the first few weeks that try to sell the items for a lot more than MSRP. When the local stores get the products and sell them at list price then the newegg's on the Internet drop their price below list. That's not right and I sent an email to newegg and they didn't even respond. I have spent thounsands at newegg in the past few years and they wouldn't even acknowledge my compaint. Bad boy. You need a spanking.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C GHz Northwood (Overclocking to 3.3 GHz)
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio’s 1016)
Corsair 1 Gig XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum 2/512 MB @ 2-3-3-6 8
eVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (Overclocking to 400/1.10 GHz Driver 61.77)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
2 Western Digital 120 GB (7,200 RPM - 8 MB Cache)
Antec True Power 550 Watts
CD-R Burner - Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 Black
DVD Burner - Pioneer 8x DVR-107D Black
Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II @4600 RPM
Chieftec Black Dragon Tower, Side Window and 5 Antec 80mm Case Fans
Round Vantec 133 IDE Cables Black
Windows XP Pro SP2

saturnotaku
08-30-04, 03:29 PM
Newegg's price gouging on items is one of two reasons why I refuse to shop with them any more. The other is them having the nerve to charge a restocking fee for an item I returned that was clearly defective (but that's a story for another day).

It's not just on the high-end stuff that they're gouging people. The S939 3500+ processor is another one. While most places are charging about $399 for the retail version, Newegg's price was up in the $450 range. I ordered from ZipZoomFly for $399 (free 2nd Day shipping!) and mine should be here tomorrow.

I think Newegg's head has gotten a bit too big here and I hope it eventually comes back to burn them.

CaptNKILL
08-30-04, 03:37 PM
:smoking2: :smoking2: :smoking2:
I agree that newegg and a lot of other Internet sites are taking advantage of their customers. When a new video card comes out or some other new PC product the first few weeks that try to sell the items for a lot more than MSRP. When the local stores get the products and sell them at list price then the newegg's on the Internet drop their price below list. That's not right and I sent an email to newegg and they didn't even respond. I have spent thounsands at newegg in the past few years and they wouldn't even acknowledge my compaint. Bad boy. You need a spanking.

I dont get it... isnt that the point? When no one has X item besides your company, and the manufacturer is charging you $900 to get one, then you are going to charge quite a bit for it arent you? When big name retailers (with local stores) get the item, most people will just go to them emediately, you have to lower your price to compete.

NewEgg usually has the best prices on most parts, and they have great service (complaining to them about prices and having them ignore you isnt customer service related... no one has any right to tell them how to price their items) and cheap shipping (unless you are buying tiny items).

This is the same thing any smaller online store does.

ynnek
08-30-04, 04:01 PM
Also, Newegg also has price gouged the 3.2 and 3.4 northwoods too.... And iwth 3.4 Northwoods being in such sort supply (try calling up all the places that list them as available online, they don't have them in stock, and don't know where to get one), I ended up getting a 3.2 at zipzoomfly at more of a reasonable price..

Its simple really.. If you don't like the price, don't buy it..

UDawg
08-30-04, 05:26 PM
This is, plain and simple, extortion. I understand supply and demand but Newegg needs to stop taking advantage of their customers. I will never purchase this processor at this price. This is (along with other reasons) why I stopped getting my computer equipment from zipzoomfly.

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53 (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-458&depa=0)

Don't buy from them.

UclaBob
08-30-04, 06:19 PM
There is always this:

http://www.datashapes.com/default.aspx?src=fr&event=1002&8101=806925

Cross your fingers and save your money :P.

Sazar
08-30-04, 06:33 PM
Don't buy from them.

yes but that would be too easy...

UDawg
08-31-04, 01:50 AM
Touchet :D

I have never saw a price on a web site or a story and got mad. I have never thought of saying "that company sucks because they have high prices". I just think "I wonder where I can find it cheaper?"

wshadow
08-31-04, 02:45 AM
WWW.PCCLUB.COM
http://www.pcclub.com/product_list.cfm?cat=CPUs%20%28Processors%29&subcat1=Intel%20processors&subcat2=Blowout%20Sale

skypx
08-31-04, 10:11 AM
Touchet :D

I have never saw a price on a web site or a story and got mad. I have never thought of saying "that company sucks because they have high prices". I just think "I wonder where I can find it cheaper?"

That's an excellent point. I understand these companies are in the business to make money no matter what. What I seem to loose track of is the fact that I can wait 6 months and get something faster and cheaper. My main reason for wanting something now is to see what my GeForce ultra EE is really capable of. I think I'll wait.

UDawg
08-31-04, 02:48 PM
Oh believe me I understand you. I am as impatient as you but we really don't have a choice. :D Companies pray on people like you and me when a new product comes out by hiking up the price. We as consumers just have to wait. The price will fall. ;)

Tuffgong4
08-31-04, 03:02 PM
zipzoomfly zipzoomfly zipzoomfly...been ordering from them since they were called googlegear.com and have never had a problem with anything they do and their prices are just as comparable to newegg's it's just that sometimes they don't have the selection newegg has like in cases or other things...the shipping to me is faster than newegg and they process the orders faster...I love both sites but I prefer zipzoomfly