PDA

View Full Version : A Note on Downloading

Cheimison
08-26-04, 10:12 PM
Fileplanet sucks. Not only do you have to register, you have to pay if you want any decent speed, and they have those retarded waiting lines. Go to www.gamershell.com they have no sign up, their servers are fast and they have all the new demos and mods and everything. I was downloading 2megs/second the other day from them.

GamerGuyX
08-26-04, 10:15 PM
Fileplanet sucks. Not only do you have to register, you have to pay if you want any decent speed, and they have those retarded waiting lines. Go to www.gamershell.com they have no sign up, their servers are fast and they have all the new demos and mods and everything. I was downloading 2megs/second the other day from them.

I agree. Fileplanet is :lame:

theultimo
08-28-04, 02:16 AM
I agree. Fileplanet is :lame:
I thought it was WAITplanet.... (mag)

nrdstrm
08-28-04, 02:59 AM
File Planet kicks ass if your a member. I get between 400-600K down from there with no lines at all (immediate download). Of course my "Founders Club Account" was given to me by someone who works at GameSpy....heh..
Nrdstrm
PS. Not to mention you get in on alot of beta's. Downloaded WOW today (World of Warcraft)...

Ninjaman09
08-28-04, 10:24 AM
Yeah a friend of mine gave me his Fileplanet account like 2 years ago. I don't even know who's paying for it. Not that I care, I changed the passwords and username and stuff. Got my WoW beta as well. Hah! Let's see Gamershell compete with THAT!

revbatboy
08-28-04, 11:24 AM
No it doesent, Im downloading the World of Warcraft beta now and tribes later. I dont see how that sucks.

Apollo 13
08-28-04, 11:52 AM
Im a member also and I think the download speeds suck. I can't never get over 191KB/s. I should be getting over 400KB/s

Cream
08-28-04, 04:25 PM
Nice heads up m8..

Downloading Colin McRae rally 2005 demo @ 177kb/sec on a 1.5 meg service :)

Ninjaman09
08-28-04, 04:28 PM
Apollo, what kind of connection are you on?

Pandora's Box
08-28-04, 05:29 PM
i download at speeds around 2-4mbps. worth the 7 bucks a month.

UDawg
08-28-04, 07:43 PM
Rememeber the days when fileplanet was good?... neither do I. I mis 3DFiles.

Omega53
08-28-04, 09:19 PM
It only sucks if you are too cheap to pay for decent DL speeds and exclusive content.

UDawg
08-28-04, 11:06 PM
It only sucks if you are too cheap to pay for decent DL speeds and exclusive content.

Why pay for it when you can get the files for free. It isn't about being cheap. It is about being smart and not paying for crap.

Mike1357
08-28-04, 11:10 PM
I don't care how fast the site is, as long as there are no wait lines. Waiting in line for 20 minutes is (gay)
I don't care how fast the site is
yea, I only download about 15kb/s

jAkUp
08-30-04, 01:43 AM
Rememeber the days when fileplanet was good?... neither do I. I mis 3DFiles.

hehe 3dfiles was great

Cheimison
08-30-04, 04:36 AM
I don't really care for betas. All I play are first person shooters, generally.

Edge
08-30-04, 11:44 AM
Ugh, I hate fileplanet now. They used to be good, I even tolerated the wait lines and such, but when they force you to use that crappy "Fileplanet Download System", that's where I draw the line. I remember the good old days of downloading the Planetside trial through Getright without much trouble (well, other than taking a while), but recently I tried to get the SWG trial, and the download became corrupted at the 800 megabyte mark with no way to recover it. Thanks a whole ****ing lot fileplanet, a week of downloading down the drain because of your crappy system. Maybe if they actually allowed you to access the direct links again I wouldn't mind so much, but proprietary download systems are a no-no.

Ninjaman09
08-30-04, 12:18 PM
You can bypass the download system by using a browser that doesn't support Active-X controls, like Firefox (which is better than I.E. anyway).

Edge
08-30-04, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I noticed it gave me a direct link when I tried to get a file on my friend's old 400 mhz computer, and I tried disabling active-X on mine but it still went to the download program :confused: . Hmm, maybe I'll try using Firefox then, I've been meaning to get back to using Netscape after the good old 4.7 days anyway.

aAv7
08-30-04, 04:36 PM
so beside gamerhell and 3dgamers...what other sites are out there with decent d/l speeds and no in-line waiting crap?

NightFire
08-30-04, 06:57 PM
I don't care much for any downloading service. Certainly not enough to pay.

But that's just because I'm on 56k Dial-up.

majortom
08-30-04, 08:45 PM
hmm, i usually only wait at most 30-40 minutes (not a member) and get (according to the downloader) about 1.5-4 mbits. you kids are spoiled, what with yer high bandwidth cable internet modems and yer rap music and what not. when i was your age, all we had was 28.8's and we were damn happy we had it too!