PDA

View Full Version : W00t, new case on the way!

Riptide
08-27-04, 09:22 AM
Hoping I don't regret this... :beer:

I'm keeping my Lian Li and will build my Linux box w/it. I'm getting this thermaltake tsunami because I want something a little quieter than the (4)80mm fans I have running in my Lian Li. This one comes with two 120mm and I got two enermax 120's to replace the stock ones.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-137&depa=0

Here is the fan I got to replace the stock:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-012&depa=0

Sazar
08-27-04, 10:13 AM
nice setup :)

dunno if its gonna run any cooler... haven't seen too many tests but i like the looks and its gotta be quiter too... make sure to take pics :D

btw are you getting an after-market cooler for your XT ?

Kamel
08-27-04, 10:34 AM
i think that case is secksie!

as with any thermaltake case, i would think it's going to be high quality and have good cooling :).

personally, i would go with the thermaltake skull though. i lust after that case. i really wish i would have been able to get it instead of the antec case i have now =\.

Riptide
08-27-04, 11:10 AM
Saz I have a ZM80D-HP for the XT. Remember the thread I posted in Other Gfx forum? I nearly had to get rid of this MSI motherboard because the CPU socket is so close to the AGP slot that only my Thermalright or the stock AMD heatsink would fit. The 7000cu would not fit at all...

And I agree, this case might be a bit warmer but it should be much quieter. These 4 80mm fans make a fair amount of racket, hopefully the twin 120's should be noticeably quieter.

stncttr908
08-27-04, 11:20 AM
Good selection. Keep us updated!

XP_GUN
08-27-04, 01:58 PM
Looks great, are you going to be moding it too :p

Riptide
08-27-04, 02:40 PM
No plans to mod. Just want to get the two stock fans replaced.

Wish I had made this decision earlier in the week so I could have the case today but you know how that is... With luck it'll be here Tuesday next week and I can get it together that evening. Shouldn't take long either.

Skinner
08-27-04, 03:06 PM
Looks allmost like the wavemaster from Coolermaster.

SH64
08-27-04, 03:09 PM
My local store just brought one like this , but in silver .

i'm getting a new case in the upcoming days so i'm confused which one to get .
i'm attracted more to the Tt Lanmoto for its price/performance .
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cases/Tt_LANMOTO/

Saibot
08-27-04, 10:39 PM
I just built a new system a couple weeks ago with one of those cases. I got the silver one with the side window and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. I looked at a lot of cases before deciding on this one and the Tsunami was the only case I really liked. The only issue I had when putting it together was the placement of the hard drive cage. It will hold up to 5 HDD's but one of the slots interferes with the molex on my 6800GT. Not really a problem since I can't imagine ever having 5 drives in there. I just moved my second drive down a spot.

Pandora's Box
08-28-04, 12:38 AM
Looks allmost like the wavemaster from Coolermaster.

It is technically. thermaltake just took the wavemaster and made it uber.

Riptide
09-01-04, 07:21 PM
Ah, a few pictures.

Some things that were noticed moving over from my old case to this one. My Lian runs cooler and has more room. This Tsunami comes with 2 120mm fans, my PC62 4 80mm fans. The PC62 has a handy removable motherboard tray. Having modded my XT it was difficult to fit the raptor drives as the heatpipes on the ZM80D kinda bumped up against where the SATA connectors plug into the HD. Had to move things around there but it did fit.

The Tsunami has a great cage for hard drives and has some rubber pieces to it that help keep vibration to a minimum. There are no rattles in this case whereas my big LL PC62 had a tendency to do that intermittently. The Tsunami is quieter due to the 120mm fans. I really like the styling, it's a sharp looking case IMO. I like the glow from the two front blue LEDs at night. :)

Air flow doesn't seem that bad either. Wires are pulled out of the way for the most part so there is a nice big cavity in the case for air to travel.

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/2223/P9010021.jpg

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/6487/P9010030.jpg

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/2849/P9010032.jpg

Sazar
09-01-04, 07:30 PM
very nice and sharp looking case :)

I am still amazed that massive HSF on yout cpu and your viddy card can co-exist :eek:

but lovely case...

now clean up the wires, get some wire-ties and sheaths... it looks fugleh in there :D

really nice case though dood... :D :thumbsup:

how much was the final tally shipped?

-edit-

you gonna stick a fan @ the top of the case or leave it with the outputs?

-edit 2-

just re-read the first post... hows that new fan?

I've been looking into new case fans (with adaptors in my case)

Riptide
09-01-04, 07:43 PM
I am still amazed that massive HSF on yout cpu and your viddy card can co-exist :eek:
They clear each other by millimeters.
now clean up the wires, get some wire-ties and sheaths... it looks fugleh in there :D
Ahh, I thought it looked quite good actually. :p

You can see we used velcro straps and wire ties in there whenever we could. A couple sheaths might be nice though. Things are well enough out of the way that air flows through there pretty good.
really nice case though dood... :D :thumbsup:
how much was the final tally shipped?
-edit-
you gonna stick a fan @ the top of the case or leave it with the outputs?
-edit 2-
just re-read the first post... hows that new fan?
I've been looking into new case fans (with adaptors in my case)
$116 for the case shipped. The fans were I think about $10-12 and came out to around $30-35 total shipped.

I'll probably be lazy and keep the the ports on the top. I don't have them connected ATM though. More laziness. ;)

I never used the stock 120's so I can't compare to the enermax. I like enermax fans though. I have a 90mm cooling my CPU.

Sazar
09-01-04, 07:47 PM
/me is jealous :D

thats nice man.. I like the setup... :)

I was just messing with the wires :) my inside looks similar (I moved the wires as far off center as possibel to allow airflow)

hows the noise level on the fans... thats basically what I was after coz I wanna get one in and one ex for my case...

Riptide
09-01-04, 07:51 PM
It's noticeably less loud than my PC62 w/the 4 80mm. Still, it's not what I think of as quiet once you spin those fans all the way up. And I keep them all the way up to make sure the air keeps flowing as good as I can. I have some warm components in there. :)

Sazar
09-01-04, 07:57 PM
its nice bro :thumbsup:

DiscipleDOC
09-10-04, 06:34 PM
It's nice, man! Did you consider getting one with a window?

Riptide
09-10-04, 06:37 PM
Thanks... I thought about the window but in the end decided not to go with it. I don't like the fan mounted on it. I want a simple clear window with no fan. True, I could mod it but I'd rather not fuss with that for now. I might change my mind down the road. :)