PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thread on Doom 3 outdoor environments

Seoulstriker
08-27-04, 03:25 PM
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=doom3&Number=634598&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=all

Fatman
08-27-04, 03:41 PM
Meh, the link doesn't work.

Seoulstriker
08-27-04, 04:26 PM
did you click on the link?

ragejg
08-27-04, 04:30 PM
it works.

Nv40
08-27-04, 04:45 PM
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=doom3&Number=634598&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=all

i had done a similar test one year ago in the beta wanted to know how big outdoors in DOom3 can be but without eye candy.. just designed a huge empty box in the editor of a ridiculous big size... with a huge source of light.. the map was so big that no matter how much lights i added it was all black most of the time. so added a path of light in a straight line to not be lost in the level running in circles ,and it took me ~7minutes in fly by fly (noclip mode) to reach the end. it means that in Doom3 any Mod with flyable vehicles can be done can be done . any FArcry/Hl2/Halo outdoor map will fits nicely in DOom3 many times . if you were running (no flying) in the level ,it will take near ~ 1hour crossing it. for comparisons the Stalker beta map leaked on the net ,can be crossed entirely to its the limits in much less than 5 minutes.. :) however the retail game will be far bigger since every map will be conected together to create just 1 big level.

Fatman
08-27-04, 05:01 PM
My bad, it does work. Not enough patiance to wait for it to load... On the topic, who cares what engine can do what? I'm not paying $50 for an engine, I want a the damn game.

holmes
08-27-04, 05:28 PM
The surface_beta map linked to somewhere in the thread is pretty interesting. The textures up close don't look so good, but it's a start..
:)

Nv40
08-27-04, 06:01 PM
btw.. there is a debate there ..where some "Experts" says doom3 can't do detailed large outdoors enviroments.. just like Hl2.. and they are wrong. they "detailed" doesnt depends on the engine or game limits but on the level designer. if the level designer doesnt have any skill it will be impossible for him to create a "detailed" outdoor no matter which game he use. the only valid point overthere is that Doom3 outdoors will be more limited than Hl2 by the performance of your hardware . but that is because you have in DOom3 much nicer ligting and more advanced graphics. doom3 can do detailed large outdoors enviroments in the same way Call of Duty have done it with the quake3 engine. but of course with more advanced graphics. once Call of duty2 is released in the Doom3 engine people will have a diferent idea about what Doom3 can do or not. but also QUake4 will awe everyone when they see the huge list of driveable vehicles the game will have.. wanna gues where does 4x4 vehicles will be used in quake4 ?? ;)

Cheimison
08-30-04, 05:51 AM
"I'm not paying $50 for an engine, I want a the damn game."
With the mod community like it is anymore, I'm more interested in the engine than the game.

Drumphil
09-06-04, 01:26 PM
EH?? doom3 looks great and the engine is great, but it isn't optimised for large outdoor areas. You couldn't replicate farcry graphics with a doom3 mod. The engine in its current form isn't capable of doing that sort of thing. Same thing goes the other way round. I don't see what all the fighting is about.

the same way Call of Duty have done it with the quake3 engine.

the people who made call of duty have said that the basically the only quake 3 code left in the engine is the menu system. And its still not capable of anything like the outdoor scale of the farcry engine.

Kamel
09-06-04, 05:09 PM
:bs: lol, so you're telling me they spent the money on licensing the engine only to use the menus? riiight, and i bought my car just so i could use the rear view mirror. give me a break, that's retarded. if you were proficiant with the q3 engine, you would be able to tell just how much code stayed the same without asking the devs, and believe me, it was not "just the menu system".

i'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt though, just give me links.

Seoulstriker
09-06-04, 05:40 PM
EH?? doom3 looks great and the engine is great, but it isn't optimised for large outdoor areas. You couldn't replicate farcry graphics with a doom3 mod. The engine in its current form isn't capable of doing that sort of thing. Same thing goes the other way round. I don't see what all the fighting is about.

the people who made call of duty have said that the basically the only quake 3 code left in the engine is the menu system. And its still not capable of anything like the outdoor scale of the farcry engine.

What in earth are you talking about? :retard: FarCry is very doable in D3, but not the other way around. FarCry is just a technologically inferior engine.

Intel17
09-06-04, 07:48 PM
What in earth are you talking about? :retard: FarCry is very doable in D3, but not the other way around. FarCry is just a technologically inferior engine.

Yes...while it is true that the Doom 3 engine is superior to CryEngine, the CryEngine is great imho.

kahloq
09-06-04, 10:38 PM
(w/opics)

jbirney
09-08-04, 10:00 AM
Making one big empty map is meanling less. Making it play well its a different story. We all know that the Doom3 engine lacks a LOD system which in large outdoor areas is vitial to help your frame rates. There are a number of things you can do to help save frame rates. Depends on the game (UT2k4 for example has Anitportals, Fog, and other tricks to make the map playable). But so far we have not seen any real "big" outdoor levels. Currenly I think the "king of outdoor levels" is JO. Now not saying JO is good (it not nearly as advanced). But I don't know of any other game out there today that supports big maps with detail and can be playble on-line. Farcry comes close buts even its biggest MP map is still small compared to some of the JO maps I have seen.

Drumphil
09-08-04, 10:39 AM
lol, so you're telling me they spent the money on licensing the engine only to use the menus? riiight, and i bought my car just so i could use the rear view mirror. give me a break, that's retarded. if you were proficiant with the q3 engine, you would be able to tell just how much code stayed the same without asking the devs, and believe me, it was not "just the menu system".

i'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt though, just give me links.

its a long time since they bought the right to use the original quake 3 code. They say they have replaced most of the code since then. The reference is from an interview in PC-Powerplay Australia.. I'm trying to find the magazine now.