PDA

View Full Version : Crippled Longhorn Set for 2006

netviper13
08-28-04, 02:02 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/08/28/windows.release.reut/index.html

Ah, the wonderful world of software development. I find it amusing that Microsoft is set to ship a beta technology with a final-release OS.

npras42
08-28-04, 06:02 AM
You know you don't have to use it if you don't want to. WinXP will be around for a long time still, and by the time it becomes obsolete I'm sure Longhorn will be fairly complete.

netviper13
08-28-04, 11:49 AM
No, what that is saying is the final release of Longhorn will ship with a beta version of WinFS. The final version of WinFS will not be released until a later date.

From CNN Article:

The new file system, based on database software architecture aimed at making it easier for users to find information stored on hard drives, will be shipped later, with a test, or beta version, of WinFS shipping along with Longhorn in 2006.

npras42
08-28-04, 07:08 PM
Yes. I understand what you said... but even then noone is forcing you to use it. Even after the thing is released as final. I mean just look back to software such as Winamp3. That went final and was a pile of junk. So I didn't use it until they fixed it up and then released a good version (named Winamp 5).

Until they release a complete and relatively bug-free without beta WinFS operating system, just use WinXP (I just used WA2.xx until 5.0 came out). You know the saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think that may apply here, though its often hard on these forums I know with all the beta drivers and what-not to resist.

EDIT: I'm not having a go btw. I'm just saying what I would do and I don't think its such a big deal. Still its news and a worthwhile thread IMHO.

intercede007
08-28-04, 08:15 PM
From the horses mouth...

Bill Gates:
"The plan we have does give up WinFS shipping with Longhorn"

Gates: Longhorn changed to make deadlines (http://news.com.com/Gates%3A+Longhorn+changed+to+make+deadlines/2008-1016_3-5327377.html?tag=nl)

NightFire
08-31-04, 09:52 PM
What are the exact benefits of WinFS? Or should I just look on Google. Actually, never mind, I'll find out on my own.

de><ta
09-02-04, 03:56 PM
Similiar to the "Spotlight" feature in OS X, but it only applies to "my documents". WINFS runs on top NTFS.

It has metadata on all the files so that you can effectively search for a specific file.