PDA

View Full Version : CDRinfo 6800 Ultra review...

CaptNKILL
08-28-04, 03:09 PM
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10178
Ok I saw the link to this on the main page and having a mid-range CPU myself (though probably still faster than the 2.4 P4 :)) I decided to take a look.

As soon as I read this, I knew this review was... off :retard:
"In CDRinfo's latest review with Gainward's CoolFX 6800 Ultra I experienced low for it's kind fps. It's absolutely wrong to have a 1200 Mhz (6800U's core clock) beast performing alike with a Radeon Pro."

1200Mhz Core clock ay? :|

So I read on, and I looked at the graphics and his comments.

Rather than quote everything, read it yourself:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10178&PageId=2

Yeah there are improvements, but keep in mind this upgrade (CPU+Mobo) just cost this guy probably around $800! And thats if he bothered to shop around for a good deal.

Now obviously, anyone who buys a $600+ video card and then spends $800 for a CPU\mobo isnt going to settle for 1024x768 or lower in Doom 3... thats just a waste. So look at the higher resolutions and settings on those benchmarks. 6 or 8fps difference is all he got :|

Then look at 4xaa 8xAF and theres about 5fps improvement. For $800??? I dont see how the guy can call these improvements big.

In UT2K4, the improvements are better (although probably not noticeable at 80+ fps). But then he goes to say that if you play UT 2k4, you better look into a faster CPU before going for a new video card :| Is he totaly ignoring the fact that the average fps doesnt drop below 80 even all the way up to 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF?

The review shows good graphs and information, but he should just leave the captions out. Hes trying to tell people that if you have a 9800 Pro and a mid ranged CPU, to spend $800 on your CPU before spending half that on a high end video card.

He must be ignoring most of his original review. I mean, look at this! http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10012&PageId=10

He trippled his framerates in many cases by going with the 6800 Ultra, and that was on his mid ranged CPU.

Bah... sorry for the rant. I just read this review and found that it made very little (if any) sense. It wouldnt bother me if there were more reviews that did compairisons like this, but there arent... so people who need this kind of info will see this review and end up buying expensive CPU\mobo combos for little to no performance gain at all (if a an overclocked 6800 Ultra gets 5fps, a 9800Pro will probably get 1 if that).

:lame:

Lfctony
08-28-04, 03:40 PM
His main problem is that he's mostly testing graphics limited games, instead of CPU ones. Doom 3 and FC aren't exactly easy on the video card while UT2004 is mainly CPU limited, thus showing the most performance improvement amongst the 3 games.

As I say to my customers, the CPU is no longer the main limiting factor with today's game engines, so its better to spend more money on a better video card.

Eltigre88
09-06-04, 10:41 AM
I read that Doom 3 is more CPU intense and not hard on the G card. FarCry on the other hand is major intense on the G card.