PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT Monitor

ynnek
08-28-04, 11:55 PM
Overall, a decent 19" monitor for about $200 for an avg home user for the pricerange at 1024x768 @ 100 Hz. I don't think you can get a better monitor at this size for this price. Power users, extremely picky, or professional people look elsewhere though (and spend double too)

1024x768 @ 100 Hz seems to be the sweet spot for this monitor... I can look at text all day on at this setting.

1280x1024 @ 85 eh. some people would probably still use it... But my tired eyes didn't like it.. A little too small and blurry for my tastes.

The focus and clarity around the center is pretty good.. however there are some horizontal convergence problems on the upper left corner of the screen.. My 17" Samsung had this slight problem too.. Note all CRT's will have some sorta of convergence problems.. Covergence is how close the red blue and green can align themselves with each other.. Everything else looks acceptable to my own eyes.. some people notice the "chainlink" effect on these tubes though more than others.. if you look closely, you will know what I mean.

BTW a really good testing tool is MonitorsDirect MonitorsDirect Calibrator.
http://monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml

Run it on your own monitor, and you'll probably find flaws that you never noticed before..... don't complain to me if they get stuck in your head, and drive you crazy though! (the effect of once you notice it, you can't stop noticing it)

mattkenn_4545
08-29-04, 12:43 AM
I have this monitor it is great. I run at 1600*1200 75hz seems fine to me. I had a lot of problems with It when I first got it fixed by setting the morie (can't spell good :retard: ). Then again I came from an dell 15inch made in 94' that I had to remove the caseing and install fans to stop the picture from sliding right off the screen.

CaptNKILL
08-29-04, 06:10 AM
Then again I came from an dell 15inch made in 94' that I had to remove the caseing and install fans to stop the picture from sliding right off the screen.

Thats awesome, I want that monitor! :nana:

SH64
08-29-04, 06:18 AM
I have the SyncMaster 957DF 19" .. whats the differnece between the two ??

its a great monitor for the price .

my only notices are the reflection of the lights shows some "foggy" areas in the screen if you play dark games (like Doom3) .. i dont know what they call it technically , but i replaced the monitor & got the same so i settle with it . its not that bad anyway .

also i noticed flickiring lines on the sides of the screen when i use 85Hz refresh rate .. 75Hz seems to decrease those flickers . that can only be noticed in 2D mode (i.e. windows) .

ynnek
08-30-04, 11:37 AM
they appear to be exactly the same techinically on paper.. the 997 have a new look on the outside though, with less plastic surrounding the screen.. buttons are now these small one on the side which are kinda a pain, but then again, they hvae this software that lets you do all the settings from windows.

I really don't think there's any way around that on any display, with reflections of ambient light.. hence why a good set of blinds and a well positioned lights are also important, to reduce eye strain, light fatigue, glare, etc..

Tuork
09-01-04, 09:49 PM
I have it.
:D

I like it a lot... specially coming from and old syncmaster 14"...
Mayor upgrade.

Running at 1280*1024 @85Hz