PDA

View Full Version : new options in 65.xx drivers..

FearMeAll
08-29-04, 06:59 AM
I've been meaning to ask this but I have been waiting for someone to make a detailed analysis of the new optimization options in the 65.xx drivers and up.
As many of you know these drivers have options for anistropic filtering such as:
*Trilinear opts
*Anistropic mip filter opts
*Anistropic sample opts
Now these options are quite different than the 61.77 drivers and below.
Does anyone know what exactly Anistropic mip filter opts do? I don't notice any more graininess with them on so I always keep them on, But I have no idea what these are supposed to do.
Also about the Anistropic Sample opts...this setting is a mixed bag for me. On one hand it seems to boost overall framerate tremendously but it makes grainy mipmap artifacts all over the place. In most games it looks just plain ugly. Even old games with low resolution textures are grainy between every mipmap transition. What exactly is this setting doing?
Overall I've given up trying to get rid of mipmap graininess on this card, but even if settings are at High Quality in the drivers the graininess is still there albeit not as bad. I guess it is an eyesore I get to deal with though if I want playable framerates. I remember I used to complain on rage3d when I had a 9800pro about bad texture banding. I've come to this conclusion about the 2 card comanies
ATi=banding NV=grainy as far as texture filtering goes.
I wish there was some way to really fake trilinear filtering but there just doesn't seem to be. I hate the performance hit of true trilinear but I also hate the artifacts of trylinear. Don't know which is worse.

FearMeAll
08-29-04, 09:15 AM
hmmm..60 views no replies. guess not many people really know what these new options do.. I know I don't.

wEEt
08-29-04, 09:45 AM
this anisotropic mip filtering seems to be the kind of optimization that ati uses for their x800 series. somehow the area between two textures is filtered brilinear...don't ask further questions, my english is too bad to explain it ;)

FearMeAll
08-29-04, 11:07 AM
this anisotropic mip filtering seems to be the kind of optimization that ati uses for their x800 series. somehow the area between two textures is filtered brilinear...don't ask further questions, my english is too bad to explain it ;)
Thank you..so the Mip Filter is the one that ATi uses..I thought it was the aniso sample optimization for a while..
Anyone else happen to know what anistropic sample optimization does?

Warlord
08-29-04, 04:58 PM
All I know is that having them on definately helps...

My results....

3DMark03 - WHQL Forceware 65.73's

12 403 - all optimisations ON, stock 3D clocks of 425/1100.
12 120 - all optimisations OFF, stock 3D clocks of 425/1100.

I noticed no degradation of image quality so I leave them on.

:balloon:

FearMeAll
08-29-04, 05:07 PM
All I know is that having them on definately helps...

My results....

3DMark03 - WHQL Forceware 65.73's

12 403 - all optimisations ON, stock 3D clocks of 425/1100.
12 120 - all optimisations OFF, stock 3D clocks of 425/1100.

I noticed no degradation of image quality so I leave them on.

:balloon:
hmm..I can always tell when aniso sample opts are on..the images seem much more grainy..however the performance increase is really great with them on. If you can't tell the difference then I'm happy for you. I wish I didn't so I could enjoy the performance boost. :)
/edit: damn your card is fast! Nice overclock!