PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
08-29-04, 08:38 AM
I dont know how far along this game is but I just stumbled upon the screen shots at 3d Gamers, and I have to say, this game looks BEAUTIFUL!

http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/witcher/

It goes to show that effects and shaders arent needed when there are some amazing artists working on the game.

For more info, click the link to the game page at the bottom of the screen shots page. It sounds like a cool idea. If the gameplay isnt terrible, the graphics alone would make me play it. I just love the setting and its represented perfectly.

:drooling:

karkrash81
08-29-04, 11:05 AM
Wow...can't believe i've never heard of it. Looks promising (keeps fingers crossed)...

CaptNKILL
08-29-04, 01:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are some good RPGs that have come out recently? I havent really had time to pay much attention to the RPG scene, so I dont really know whats what.

Anyone have some recomendations?

CaptNKILL
08-29-04, 10:12 PM
Heres the games website (http://www.thewitcher.com)... check out the game info. It sounds a little vague right now (i think its still early in developement) but I think its just what id like to play.

Main things i found interesting:
*world based on works of a real author (rather than a game designer :D)
*real time combat
*fighting animations done using motion capture from a master swordsman
*Ragdol physics via the Karma engine
*quests can be completed many different ways
*more adult setting\story, not "fairy tale"

Im gonna keep reading the info... theres a lot there. Also, theres a gameplay movie at 3dgamers. Though I had to use the netherlands server to download it. Was there some big demo release this weekend? 3dgamers' servers have been swamped lately.

superklye
08-30-04, 12:01 AM
That game looks effing amazing.

Drunken_Master
08-30-04, 01:30 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are some good RPGs that have come out recently? I havent really had time to pay much attention to the RPG scene, so I dont really know whats what.

Anyone have some recomendations?

Try Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic (KoTOR). It's one of the best Starwars games to come out. Some reviewers even say that it's the best thing to come out of the franchise since Empire Strikes Back. It's CGW's game of the year for 2003.

The game is set 3,000 years before Episode I so the developers (Bioware) had a lot more freedom to make their story without leaving any plotholes due to the movies and novels in the Starwars universe.

The only bad thing for me is the real-time combat. It made the battles unmanageable in some cases especially when you had a lot of opponents. I guess it's an effect of having to port an Xbox game to PC. It feels like the battles are nerfed.

Aside from some issues with the combat system, SW:KoTOR is one of the best RPGs to come out in the PC and console. You get to use all the force powers shown in the movies and you get to have some funny NPCs. The storyline is pretty good for a PC game. You also get to explore quite a number of worlds in the game.

Vampire: The Masquerade is an upcoming RPG that bears watching. Troika (which consists of some of the original devs of Fallout) is using the Source engine for this game. It's based on White Wolf's PNP RPG. This game has been pushed back though because the licensing arrangements with Valve allows Troika to release the game after HL2 has been released. I think some people at Troika are pretty dissed at Valve for being so delayed. :nanahump:

Vagrant Zero
08-30-04, 03:35 AM
The Witcher...isn't that that polish game based on the Aurora [Neverwinter Nights] engine?

Edit [after seeing pics]: Hot damn, that ****s NWN up the ass. Go Poland.

Mr. Hunt
08-30-04, 03:53 AM
Drunken_Master... KOTOR wasn't in real time... you could pause gameplay and give a string of commands to perform :\.

CaptNKILL
08-30-04, 03:55 AM
Yeah it is based on a new version of the aurora engine. I really cant wait to play this game. They dont have a publisher yet but with features like the Aurora Engine, karma physics, amazing graphics and very nice looking combat, they shouldnt have a problem picking one up. You have to check out the gameplay vid, though you'll need a wierd video codec to play it... I had to install WinDVD to get the codec.

BTW, Ive been interested in KoTOR for a while, but havent picked it up yet. Right now im playing through D&D: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on a SEGA Genesis emulator. I had this game a long time ago and thought it was cool, but my god! This game is amazing for being a 12 year old Genesis game. Im so hooked on this game its crazy. It makes me want to play a new D&D game. I used to have Baldur's Gate (1) and it was really cool but got sort of tedius after a while, and i got to a point where I was stuck (characters needed about 12 more levels for me to even think about beating a certain boss) so I just quit.

Id like to get back into D&D PC games. Ive never played Pen and Paper D&D but ive always liked the rules... hell I despize turn based combat, but this genesis game is loads of fun. The ONE thing that bugs me about D&D games is how ranged attacks cant be dodged... i remember fighting off a horde of skeletons that throw axes, but it was impossible to run because the axes chase you to complete the "attack roll"... very lame. Deffinitely something that should be changed just for the real time games.

Drunken_Master
08-30-04, 05:26 AM
Drunken_Master... KOTOR wasn't in real time... you could pause gameplay and give a string of commands to perform :\.

I stand corrected... Still, the compromise between real time and turn-based made it a pain to control... I was getting butchered in the Starforge level because the Dark Jedi would be all over me by the time I could react :( Still, even with my difficulties in the Starforge, I think the combat seems to be too easy for most of the game.

Of course, the controls on the PC were much better than the XBox IMO.

My preference for some parts of the game would be to go strictly turn based (it's not there AFAIK unlike BG where there's a user toggle). It's problematic to get into problems with some of your NPCs because you lose track of them when the blasters start to fire.

Drunken_Master
08-30-04, 05:30 AM
@Cap,

If I ever get to doing it, my next project would be to play BG, BG: Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, and BG2: Throne of Bhaal with only one character. CGW says that it's quite a satisfying run to play it all. I'm just midway through BG for the nth time but I can't get past it to play the other games (I've already played through BG once but I formatted my old save games). I hear that the easter eggs with the golden, bronze, and silver pantaloons is good. You can get an iron golem constructed with all three pantaloons. :D

BTW, I wasn't really so decided on turned based combat until I played Fallout. Having played and finished FO once, I guess that I'm sold on turn-based combat. You have to make some tactical decisions not present in real-time or real-time with pause combat. I really have to play through X-COM and Silent Storm though.

My problem now is to find the time to play all my games. I don't even have a console but I can't play through all my games... Arrrggg!!! So many games, so little time... :drooling:

CaptNKILL
09-01-04, 11:20 PM
Any RPG recomendations guys? I beat D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun the other day... got a bit repetitive toward the end, but that has to be one of the most pollished RPGs ive ever seen on a console. For well made game, and very fun :D

Now i need something else. Ive been playing Fallout a little... I spent a few dollars on it a few years ago but didnt play it much. I really dont like the combat at all... the game is cool, but i find the combat more irritating than anything, so I dont think ill be able to stay with it for too much longer. I guess what i like in RPGs is combat thats easy... not easy to win, but easy to fight. Fallout combat just seems too tedious and time consuming... it takes like 10 minutes for one small battle some times, and then some random things happen and you get killed and have to do it all over again... im not into that kind of thing.

CaptNKILL
09-02-04, 04:48 AM
Im trying some demos now.

What do you guys think of Sacred and Beyond Divinity?
Sacred seems pretty cool, but i got a little bored with the demo, so that cant mean much for the full game. Plus this is the very early, unpatched version so its really buggy. I wish I could try the real game before spending money it on, the demo has so much wrong with it its not really a representation of the final product. There are dozens of bugged items, quests that dont make sense, etc... so its hard to really get into the game. There have been many patches that fix most of the problems though, so the full version is probably a lot better.

One thing Im curious about, is there music in Sacred? The demo was so boring, mostly because theres almost no sound until you fight. The scenery is all static images, and theres no background\ambient sound, so its very bland.

CaptNKILL
09-03-04, 12:27 AM
So... no one plays any RPGs any more? :p

Leech
09-05-04, 12:21 AM
Sacred is pretty good, now that the patches fix most of the bugs. And yes, it has some pretty great music in the full release. But if you buy it, make sure you get the UK version, because it has all the gore in it! Lousy US publisher took out the gore!

Leech

EciDemon
09-05-04, 08:29 PM
Id reccomend Devine Devinity, it feels kind of old school (part of the charm playing the game I think) Its a good rpg I think and its rather big with lots of quests and stuff to do.
then you have Arcanum, also a very nice RPG by Trolika games (creators of Fallout)
The game features an intelligent mix of machine and magic. Also quite nice.
Lets not forget Morrowind :)
My latest rpg is Lionheat but I have not yet played it enugh to give any good comments.

K007
10-10-05, 02:06 AM
Just saw some videos of this game. Looks pretty amazing. It has Bioware and nvidia behind them as well. Cant wait :)

Vagrant Zero
10-10-05, 02:11 AM

Hahahahahahaha

superklye
10-10-05, 02:23 AM
The game still looks awesome and my hopes were WAY up, until I saw I had already posted in this thread and didn't remember doing it...then I saw the date. :(

acrh2
10-10-05, 02:28 AM
Im trying some demos now.

What do you guys think of Sacred and Beyond Divinity?
Sacred seems pretty cool, but i got a little bored with the demo, so that cant mean much for the full game. Plus this is the very early, unpatched version so its really buggy. I wish I could try the real game before spending money it on, the demo has so much wrong with it its not really a representation of the final product. There are dozens of bugged items, quests that dont make sense, etc... so its hard to really get into the game. There have been many patches that fix most of the problems though, so the full version is probably a lot better.

One thing Im curious about, is there music in Sacred? The demo was so boring, mostly because theres almost no sound until you fight. The scenery is all static images, and theres no background\ambient sound, so its very bland.

Kotor and Kotor2 were some of the best games I've played. Kotor2 was especially amazing because it had a very deep combination of storyline and rpg mechanics.

Beyond Divinity was ok. Decent rpg mechanics and story but not so good graphics. Sacred was very nice in all aspects (after a year of patches it actually ran stable). It had a huge world, with which you could easily spend 40-50 hours without even doing many sidequests. Pretty good graphics, which were really improved in Underworld (better models and animations). Sacred also had a really nice online system, where you can make a character stored on the developers' servers, so cheating was eliminated. I probably spent close to 100-120 hours with Sacred+Underworld before getting bored.

acrh2
10-10-05, 02:32 AM
Sacred is pretty good, now that the patches fix most of the bugs. And yes, it has some pretty great music in the full release. But if you buy it, make sure you get the UK version, because it has all the gore in it! Lousy US publisher took out the gore!

Leech

Good point about the censoring of blood/gore. However, not entirely correct. UK version was censored as well, but there's a "european" version and "australian" version, which weren't censord. I got my Sacred from gamestop, but Underworld from Amazon, and the Underworld was not censored. Since one would probably want both (Underworld is partly addon, because it integrates the main Sacred campaign into a one HUGE game), he should get Underworld from an online place.

K007
10-10-05, 03:16 AM
When is it meant to be released?

msxyz
10-10-05, 03:40 AM
They have to find a publisher, first.

Skinner
10-10-05, 10:15 AM
Dammit, I thought the demo was out :( This game looks awesome in every aspect.

CaptNKILL
10-10-05, 10:34 AM
Wow... this thread is over a year old :lol:

Game looks even better now though... hope they actually release it some time.