PDA

View Full Version : How do you change your AGP aperture to 256MB?

Rieper
08-29-04, 11:25 AM
I have a Hewlett Packard AMD64 3200+ with an XFX GeForce 6800GT, but there is no AGP options in my BIOS. Is there a program which will allow me to change the aperture to 256MB so I stop getting the jerky play-framerate while playing DOOM3?

I'll be upgrading my MicroATX to PCI-Express mobo when they start coming out. But for now, I'd like to change the AGP aperture to 256MB.

Thx.

peter_storm
08-29-04, 01:02 PM
Your AGP aperture size will not create jerkiness. I assume you have 1Gb of RAM, in which case your AGP aperture size should be set at 128 Mb. The AGP aperture is a section of memory which the graphics card can store more memory addresses that exceed the VGA memory. Seeing as the 6800GT and above have 256 Mb of on-board memory, your videocard will not even be using the aperture in almost all games (except maybe Doom 3 in Ultra Mode, but there is an autoexec.cfg to remove the sluggish performance). Setting to 256Mb is simply taking system RAM away from software that might need it.

EDIT: I have noticed you have 512Mb ram, therefore setting it to 256 is a bad idea.

peter_storm
08-29-04, 01:07 PM
A nice explanation http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

Burnt_Ram
08-29-04, 06:14 PM
Your AGP aperture size will not create jerkiness. I assume you have 1Gb of RAM, in which case your AGP aperture size should be set at 128 Mb. The AGP aperture is a section of memory which the graphics card can store more memory addresses that exceed the VGA memory. Seeing as the 6800GT and above have 256 Mb of on-board memory, your videocard will not even be using the aperture in almost all games (except maybe Doom 3 in Ultra Mode, but there is an autoexec.cfg to remove the sluggish performance). Setting to 256Mb is simply taking system RAM away from software that might need it.

EDIT: I have noticed you have 512Mb ram, therefore setting it to 256 is a bad idea.
I totally agree ! i have mine set at 128mb, ONLY because i have a gig of ram and the only reason I need it is because my vid card only has 128mb of memory ! if it had 256mb's i could probably put my apature back to 64.

Rieper
08-29-04, 06:27 PM
I totally agree ! i have mine set at 128mb, ONLY because i have a gig of ram and the only reason I need it is because my vid card only has 128mb of memory ! if it had 256mb's i could probably put my apature back to 64.

I'm upgrading my memory to OCZ PC3200 512x2 2-3-2-5-1t, so I'll try what you guys recommend. I also read the article on AGP Aperture, very interesting to learn what goes on inside AGP channel.

Thx.

ChrisRay
08-29-04, 06:37 PM
Just for the record, If your AGP Texture size is 256, it does not mean that 256 megs are reserved at all times. Thats the total amount of texture size it can use, But it will not use that much at all periods of time.

Kamel
08-29-04, 06:39 PM
it doesn't steal your ram unless it's needed, i've got 512mb of ram, but i could set my arpeture size to 256 and still have 512mb of ram... so that's a bit useless.

the sluggish performance is most likely caused by fastwrites, try disabling them and see what happens.

pharma
08-30-04, 04:55 AM
Rieper,

Do a google search on "agp aperature size 6800". Apparently setting aperature size to 256 has helped some people. And, btw in my installation manual BFGTECH states to set aperature size to equal the amount of memory on my video card (BFG 6800 GT OC), ie if you have a 256 meg card set aperture to 256. This has worked very well with me. What you might want to do is call your video card support number and see what they suggest.

Below is a thread the search above turned up about someone with your same problem and how he resolved it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1366109

Hope this helps.