PDA

View Full Version : Poor EVGA 6800GT performance

Pages : [1] 2

AngryGuy
08-29-04, 05:50 PM
My eVGA 6800 GT is currently idling at 58C with an ambient temp of 40C (don't know why it's so high) which is considerably less than my idle of 70C yesterday.

I was messing around with my clock settings in coolbits a little bit and the furthest I could get was 380/1060! Any higher than that and 3dMark03 would start freezing on me. I also tried to go 400/1100 and coolbits told me I couldn't. In fact, I really can't get anywhere near those speeds. Isn't that kind of ridiculous?

So, giving up, I put my card back to stock speeds and started playing the Tribes Vengeance beta.. but it froze after only an hour of play! I don't know what's going on..

I'm considering an RMA but is that a good enough reason for one? And then there's the fact that I'd be without anything for a few weeks..

So.. what should I do?

ENU291
08-29-04, 06:34 PM
Install Expert Tools 3.18 by Gainward. You can control your fan speed with this app. Check Gainward's website for details.

AngryGuy
08-29-04, 10:46 PM
Install Expert Tools 3.18 by Gainward. You can control your fan speed with this app. Check Gainward's website for details.

i was playing around with that app and noticed no significant temperature difference either way. 1 or 2 degrees while running at 100% 2d.

Pantherman
08-29-04, 10:55 PM
I'm not one for overclocking a $400 card. You have to accept the consequences. Go ahead and keep using the card in other games. If it continually locks up, you probably have a heat issue. Check the fans in your case and make sure it has adequate cooling.

AngryGuy
08-30-04, 02:31 AM
Well... my videocard is running at 55C now which is acceptable.

Anyway, coolbits finally let me OC to 400/1.1 and this works perfectly in games with my temp never going over 80C (usually sticks to mid 70's). BUT when I run 3dmark03.. I always freeze at the exact same point in the wings of fury demo, and then it will unfreeze and start the next demo which freezes again at about 5 seconds into it. What's going on here? I know it's not a temp problem as I am monitoring them in the background with rivatuner.

:(

Warden13
08-30-04, 05:59 AM
A couple of things...

1) I would uninstall any drivers and then run driver cleaner to get rid of any remains. If you previously had an ATI card make sure you tell driver cleaner to clean those out as well.

2) Install the latest 65.73 WHQL drivers (link in these forums somewhere). These seem be be very stable and have corrected "stuttering and stopping" for some people.

3) You may simply have a card that doesn't want to overclock that well. Mine would only do 370/1050 until I increased the voltage from 1.3 to 1.4 by editing the Bios. Then it would do 400/1100 and was rock solid. With water it does 460/1200 all day long :)

Warden

ldspears
08-30-04, 02:00 PM
:fanboy:
I just bought a new eVGA Geforce 6800 GT and I'm overclocking with the Coolbits 2 registry hack. I went straight to a core of 400 MHz and memory of 1.10 GHz without any problems. Very stable and idles at 51c and load of 56c. I have six 80 mm Antec case fans that are moving a lot of air around inside my case. You have to move in a lot of cool air to keep these gaming systems cooled down. By the way for the past year I was a big ATI 9800 Pro fan. Now I switched to the new Nvidia 6800 GT because they blow ATI X800 Pro away. ATI had better get their act together next go around. If they do I will be back.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C GHz Northwood (Overclocking to 3.3 GHz)
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio’s 1016)
Corsair 1 Gig XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum 2/512 MB @ 2-3-3-6 8
eVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (Overclocking to 400/1.10 GHz Driver 61.77)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
2 Western Digital 120 GB (7,200 RPM - 8 MB Cache)
Antec True Power 550 Watts
CD-R Burner - Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 Black
DVD Burner - Pioneer 8x DVR-107D Black
Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II @4600 RPM
Chieftec Black Dragon Tower, Side Window and 5 Antec 80mm Case Fans
Round Vantec 133 IDE Cables Black
Windows XP Pro SP2

tobywong
08-30-04, 02:12 PM
Highest mine will go and run with stability is 412/1080. Try as I might I can't get my memory to run at 1100. You should try leaving your memory a little lower and pumping up your core a bit. Don't get too hung up on the whole "400/1100" number... just because it works on someone elses card doesn't mean it will work on yours.

saturnotaku
08-30-04, 02:37 PM
Well... my videocard is running at 55C now which is acceptable.

55 at idle is a perfectly normal temperature.

And if your card performs without issues at its stock speed, then you have absolutely no reason to need an RMA. The card is performing exactly as the manufacturer specified it would.

Lfctony
08-30-04, 03:01 PM
Try turning fast writes off, sounds similar to the 10-sec pauses many people are getting. See if that makes a difference.

Warden13
08-30-04, 03:12 PM
:fanboy:
I just bought a new eVGA Geforce 6800 GT and I'm overclocking with the Coolbits 2 registry hack. I went straight to a core of 400 MHz and memory of 1.10 GHz without any problems. Very stable and idles at 51c and load of 56c.

How you measuring your load temps? There's usually a 20-30 degree difference from idle to load on these crads. Most people that report temps as low as you are typically playing a 3D game and then Alt-Tabbing out or quitting and checking their temps. Run Rthdribl in a window on your desktop and see what your temps are.

Warden

AngryGuy
08-30-04, 06:37 PM
55 at idle is a perfectly normal temperature.

And if your card performs without issues at its stock speed, then you have absolutely no reason to need an RMA. The card is performing exactly as the manufacturer specified it would.

I wasn't complaining about the bad OC's... that's just my new concern. Only reason I would have RMA'd if my temps had stayed above 70C at idle.

The thing about is that 3dMark03 is the ONLY thing that stutters with an overclock.. and I can't figure that out.

I'm going to try to disable fast writes and see if I can run it again.. but won't that decrease performance?

Anyway.. I'll do some more experimenting today and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

Oh by the way, I'm running at 59C idle right now but I figure thats OK because it is really really really hot in this room right now. I think the problem with the case is that it lets too much hot air in and then has trouble getting it back out. I'm on a Lian Li PC-V1000.

NightFire
08-30-04, 06:41 PM
Well, about the fast writes part, there is no conclusive proof to push it either way. It's just general knowledge that it may make your system a bit unstable.

If you're really worried about temps, and want to overclock, go to Antartica, keep it out in the cold, but liquid nitrogen cooling on top of that. Or better yet, go to outer space.

Reasonably, however, you might want to get a new fan, if no one's already mentioned that.

Actually, I'm just spouting off random advice. What was your real problem? Bad preformance?

Barrok
08-30-04, 06:54 PM
I have the pausing problem with my GT. I turned fast writes off and it stopped that. I turned it back on and it happened again. Yes fast writes can make your system unstable. Turn em off! :D

Korok
08-30-04, 10:00 PM
Outer space is actually a terrible place to try to overclock. Vacuum is a perfect insulator, so any heat generated by your card would just stay in it. Heat requires matter to be easily dissipated, things cool down by making the surrounding material warmer. Without any (or much, to be more precise, there's plenty of floating hydrogen and other wisps of matter in 'empty' space, just not much compared to an atmosphere) matter around to transfer the heat to, heat buildup in electronics would need to be dissipated by radiating.

/unsolicited science babble

freqq
08-30-04, 10:29 PM
Barrok is dead right on this one. Fastwrites off + agp aperture 256 = maximum joy. I don't care what the sites say should happen, this is what does happen.

kahloq
08-30-04, 10:58 PM
Outer space is actually a terrible place to try to overclock. Vacuum is a perfect insulator, so any heat generated by your card would just stay in it. Heat requires matter to be easily dissipated, things cool down by making the surrounding material warmer. Without any (or much, to be more precise, there's plenty of floating hydrogen and other wisps of matter in 'empty' space, just not much compared to an atmosphere) matter around to transfer the heat to, heat buildup in electronics would need to be dissipated by radiating.

Actually this is not true as far as space is concerned. Yes its a vaccum of sorts, buts a damn cold cold cold vaccum unless your in direct sunlight. Heat is a form of energy and does not need to "transfer" to another medium to dissapate in a harsh cold environment. Energy will follow the path of least resistance. Since the outside of the case would be extremely cold, aka in the real low Kelvins( really really really low celsius), the heat energy will radiate away from the case rather quickly. Heat DOES need to transfer if the surrounding environment is rather warm, like here on earth. The ambient temp inside the case in SPACE would be so drastically low, that the vid card would NEVER build up heat.

take for example Apollo 13 when their battery power was so critically low...they had to turn off most everything including cabin heat...it didnt take long for the cabin to get rather cold inside even tho there was body heat from the crew.

AngryGuy
08-31-04, 01:00 AM
Barrok is dead right on this one. Fastwrites off + agp aperture 256 = maximum joy. I don't care what the sites say should happen, this is what does happen.

I turned Fastwrites off and 3dMark03 runs smoothly. Unfortunately I'm not scoring that much higher... and my CPU score was a lot lower. Will AGP Fast Writes do that? And why is this only happening for certain people? What's different?

I'm not so sure about the AGP Aperture.. I'll try it out and see if I notice a difference, though.

I'm not a hardcore overclocker and I have no intention of running this card to the ground.. but it's always nice to see what a new card can do before you just go back to enjoying it at stock :D

Also, I just noticed something in my BIOS... my primary display driver is set to PCI.. Should I change that over to AGP? I noticed it awhile ago but thought it might change with chipset/driver installations.

ENU291
08-31-04, 07:23 AM
I don't believe it will make much of a difference but set it to AGP anyway. That option in the BIOS is for detection priority. If you had two video cards installed (PCI and AGP) that option will tell the PC which card to boot up with.

Chippy
08-31-04, 08:02 AM

"there's plenty of floating hydrogen and other wisps of matter in 'empty' space".

Actually, I think "plenty" is stretching it. Space is about as good a vacuum as you can get without trying very very very hard.

But you are right, the concept of zero Kelvin is rather misleading when there are only a handful of atoms kicking around.

Chip

Pandora's Box
08-31-04, 08:28 AM
I don't believe it will make much of a difference but set it to AGP anyway. That option in the BIOS is for detection priority. If you had two video cards installed (PCI and AGP) that option will tell the PC which card to boot up with.

best to leave it at pci actually. what u gonna do when your card fails and u plop in a pci card to see whats going on only to have the system detect the agp device first?

ENU291
08-31-04, 08:43 AM
best to leave it at pci actually. what u gonna do when your card fails and u plop in a pci card to see whats going on only to have the system detect the agp device first?

Good point but where would someone find a PCI graphic card these days? Do they even manufacture them anymore?

Pandora's Box
08-31-04, 08:54 AM
heh. most of us still have a pci graphics card lying around. i have 1. its not even 3d capable lol.

Chippy
08-31-04, 10:20 AM
Actually this is not true as far as space is concerned. Yes its a vaccum of sorts, buts a damn cold cold cold vaccum unless your in direct sunlight. Heat is a form of energy and does not need to "transfer" to another medium to dissapate in a harsh cold environment. Energy will follow the path of least resistance. Since the outside of the case would be extremely cold, aka in the real low Kelvins( really really really low celsius), the heat energy will radiate away from the case rather quickly. Heat DOES need to transfer if the surrounding environment is rather warm, like here on earth. The ambient temp inside the case in SPACE would be so drastically low, that the vid card would NEVER build up heat.

take for example Apollo 13 when their battery power was so critically low...they had to turn off most everything including cabin heat...it didnt take long for the cabin to get rather cold inside even tho there was body heat from the crew.

I missed this post earlier.

Korok's point is correct and I think you are mistaken (or misjudging the situation).

As Korok pointed out, convection and conduction effectively stop in space. There's nothing to conduct, nor convect the heat away. So the only escape is radiation.

Whether the case is cold or not is not really the point. The heat generated in the video card has no way of escaping other than (a) radiating or (b) conducting through its point point of contact with its surroundings - i.e. the AGP slot. Since the AGP slot is housed in plastic (ii.e. a good insulator) we can largely discount (b).

And the card would have to run *mighty* hot to radiate out (say) 100w of heat. (you can work it out if you can be bothered. Stefan's Law and black body radation et al. The card would need to run at around 185c, assuming a graphics card of 10x20cm in dimensions). i.e. the solder would melt!

Ironically, your last paragraph really demonstrates the point. How is it that the astronauts didn't freeze to death in minutes? Answer: the radiant heat flow from the spaceship is actually relatively small.

Chip

Lfctony
08-31-04, 10:37 AM
Glad you fixed your stuttering issues. I just hope I can fix mine! :D