PDA

View Full Version : Can bad power supplys be a cause for artifacts?

SElkie
08-29-04, 11:26 PM
Title pretty much says it all.

I have a leadtek 6800 Gt at stock settings right now. I've been playing Splinter Cell 2 and I have been noticing many artifacts popping up on a regular basis, most often around water. I havent really tested many other games since I have received the card and I've gone through about every driver I've been able to get a hold of...I have also used Driver Cleaner between each driver switch. Right now I have a 420W generic power supply that came with my tower which is about two years old. I know my temps are not an issue because I barley ever scratch 70c in-game (I use rivatuner to monitor temps) and about 55c idle.

I have order a enermax noisetaker 600w psu so I'm hoping this will solve some of these issues...just curious if anyone else has been having similar problems and found a way around it.

Rytr
08-29-04, 11:30 PM
Poor quality/weak PSUs can cause a number of problems. But your new unit should solve any of those potential problems. :)

Lezmaka
08-30-04, 04:34 AM
I don't know how anyone would ever need a 600W power supply for a system like that. Hell, I've built systems with dual 3.2GHz Xeons, 4GB of RAM (4x512MB + 2x1GB), 5x73GB 10,000 RPM SCSI drives and a QuadroFX 2000 and they ran perfectly fine (even when running a stress test) on a quality 450W power supply.

FearMeAll
08-30-04, 10:02 AM
I don't know how anyone would ever need a 600W power supply for a system like that. Hell, I've built systems with dual 3.2GHz Xeons, 4GB of RAM (4x512MB + 2x1GB), 5x73GB 10,000 RPM SCSI drives and a QuadroFX 2000 and they ran perfectly fine (even when running a stress test) on a quality 450W power supply.
wow that's a fast 'puter and I mean it.

Warden13
08-30-04, 10:17 AM
I know a lot of people like Enermax but personally I would steer clear of them. A good Fortron 450-530 waat will power anything you can throw at it and they are very affordable. In answer to your question though a bad PSU can cause any number of problems and with video cards requiring so much power these days I would say it's very likely that they could cause the artifacting that you are seeing.

Warden

kahloq
08-30-04, 10:26 AM
Title pretty much says it all.

I have a leadtek 6800 Gt at stock settings right now. I've been playing Splinter Cell 2 and I have been noticing many artifacts popping up on a regular basis, most often around water. I havent really tested many other games since I have received the card and I've gone through about every driver I've been able to get a hold of...I have also used Driver Cleaner between each driver switch. Right now I have a 420W generic power supply that came with my tower which is about two years old. I know my temps are not an issue because I barley ever scratch 70c in-game (I use rivatuner to monitor temps) and about 55c idle.

I have order a enermax noisetaker 600w psu so I'm hoping this will solve some of these issues...just curious if anyone else has been having similar problems and found a way around it.

Just a consumer note here. That enermax 600w PSU you have on order is quite expensive. I would recommend this one instead and is a better quality PSU with additional features the enermax doesnt have:
OCZ Tech 520 Powerstream
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-152&depa=0

The OCZ has adjsutable power rails, has dedicated VGA lines(2 seperate lines with one molex each) that are both shielded and have rfi filters. Has dedicated sata connections on seperate line. Has 3 led lights to monitor power outputs on the 3 main rails allowing you to see that its running within specs even if you adjust the pots some to try and get more Overclock by upping the voltages. It will tell you when its set too high/low. This PSU is also BTX ready for future upgradability. It also has some sleaving and at $125 its $64 cheaper then the enermax. Also, just because its listed as 520watt, thats operating watts at room temps... peak is 620

Here is a customer review:
I have used lots of PSU's in the past couple years. Some have been good and some not so good. I have uses Antec, Thermaltake, Allied, Enermax and now OCZ. This new OCZ seriously puts everything I have owned all to shame on a somewhat heavily overclocked system. Idle and load has almost no change in voltage. Less that .03v over any rail! Quality is top notch as well.

Warden13
08-30-04, 11:32 AM
Better yet save yourself another $50 and get this...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

The OCZ is nice but the Fortron is significantly less expensive, has adjustable rails as well (although internal) and is considered to be one of the best PSU's you can buy aside from a PCP&C model. If you need more proof just go to www.xtremesystems.org and check the forums. The best OCers in the world frequent those forums and quite a few rely on the Fortron.

Don't get me wrong, the OCZ has gotten great reviews as well but I'd go with the Fortron. It's the only brand I use these days in every system I build.

Warden

bosox188
08-30-04, 11:36 AM
I know a lot of people like Enermax but personally I would steer clear of them. A good Fortron 450-530 waat will power anything you can throw at it and they are very affordable. In answer to your question though a bad PSU can cause any number of problems and with video cards requiring so much power these days I would say it's very likely that they could cause the artifacting that you are seeing.

Warden

Uh not Enermax makes good power supplies. You don't need 600 watt though, waste of money. If it's too late to cancel well that's ok cause the psu you're getting will be awesome. But you shouldn't ever need even 500w, here's an awesome power supply for a good price:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-153-007&DEPA=0

Kamel
08-30-04, 11:46 AM
totally agree with Warden13 on this one, IMO the fortron 530 watt is the best PSU money can buy, and that opinion is shared by literally thousands of pc enthusiasts... there's no need to buy anything more than a fortron 530 watt ever. no one is quite sure why they are so good (not even the company that makes them), but they seem to be able to power anything you can throw at them. as a bit of advice also, the wattage rating is very misleading... and the amps on the 12 volt rail is just about equally misleading. the quality of a power supply is some weird untapped scientific law of the universe that is seemingly random for some reason or another; and fortron 530watt psu's have for some reason gotten the best results *xfiles theme starts to play* lol. this is all reflected in the price increases... when they first started selling it was selling right at around $50, but they have raised their prices to $75 and are selling the same product; simply because the enthusiasts have found out that it's a great PSU for whatever reason.

good luck whatever happens, not that the psu you chose is bad or anything, but hey, it's always nice to save an extra $100 :D

SElkie
08-30-04, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replys guys....'lucky' for me the company I order the enermax through sold out.....bastards.

So i'll do the wise thing and save myself a hundred bucks and go with the fortron.

Thanks again guys

Warden13
08-30-04, 01:34 PM
Good job :)

Warden

Lfctony
08-30-04, 03:19 PM
My 280W couldn't take my 9800 Pro and my 3.3Ghz and would artifact as if overheating. It was all ok with a 2.16Ghz CPU before and after I changed the PSU to 550W with the 3.3 system.

ivanmoe
09-06-04, 08:20 PM
Don't want to muddy the water, but I've had to replace my Fortron 400W Aurora with an Antec. The 12v and 3.3v lines were jumping around all over Abit EQ whenever I went to 3D with my BFG GT. This led to reboots when running at high resolutions and messages that read: "computer rebooted due to a bugcheck." Antec TP 430w appears to have fixed the problem.

Moe

BTW: Gonna buy an A64 when the 3000 comes out in socket 939.

Athlon XP 2500@2.2ghz w/default voltage
Abit NF7-S rev 2 w/Nforce 4.27 (onboard sound, LAN & USB)
2x256 Corsair TwinX 3200LL
BFG 6800GT w/65.73 drivers
WDC800JB HDD
LiteOn DVD & CDRW
Antec TP430W
WinXP w/SP2 & DX9.0c

Warden13
09-06-04, 08:52 PM
The Aurora may not be a Fortron "FSP" model, I'm not sure. The "FSP" series are generally of higher quality than the "non-FSP" series.

Also, be careful with your board selection on the Socket 939. I know for a fact that the Abit AV8 (that I am using) has major issues with Antec PSU's... constant rebooting as noted on ABit Forums. Whether other Socket 939 boards share this same problem or not I don't know.

Warden

Pandora's Box
09-06-04, 09:05 PM
just a small note: most of these psu manufacturers use fortron psu's as the base and then stick their own stickers on, paint it blue, and stick a red led fan in it.

john19055
09-07-04, 01:19 AM
IMO I have to say the OCZ PowerStream is the best power supply I have ever bought,I had bought a Antec 430w Truepower and I had reboots and game lockups and when I got my OCZ all that stoped.Plus it has all the new connectors for PCI Express BTX.I don't know about the 6800GT but the 6800ultra is one power hungry card.

Chippy
09-07-04, 06:50 AM
IMO I have to say the OCZ PowerStream is the best power supply I have ever bought.

I wonder who makes it (since OCZ don't actually "make" anything)? Its not readily available in the UK, but I could be quite tempted if I could find it (or the OEM equivalent) at a decent price.

Chip

SH64
09-07-04, 08:44 AM
I had artifacts on the CPU test in 3dmark2003 ..& when i replaced the PSU (it was generic 400W) for a new Tt PSU . they've gone . so possibly the PSU was causing these artifacts .

mustrum
09-07-04, 09:54 AM
I had my experience with forton. My 350watts FSP burnt down when i OCed my XP to 2.4ghz. That was with a 9700np installed. 1 HD 2 cdrom drives. 350w quality PSU should easily do that. Voltage went way over 13 volt before it burnt out! I can call myself lucky that my system is still operative. Forton - no thanks.

SElkie
09-07-04, 10:51 PM
I forgot to run an update..

Got my new power supply installed and so far I havent seen one artifact and all my games are running much more stable. :clap: :clap: :clap:

WeReWoLf
09-07-04, 11:09 PM
I had a 320W PSU running a 20Gb, 40Gb, 80Gb, 3 Blue LED Fans, 2 Generic, 2.6Ghz P4, AOpen AX4SPE-UN, GeForce 5700, Lite-On Burner with no problems. Got the 5900XT and i had to upgrade to a 400W. Probly hafta upgrade again when i get my 6800U