PDA

View Full Version : Why do people buy LCD's?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mattkenn_4545
08-30-04, 09:24 PM
Why do people buy LCD flat panels. All they seem to be is 2-3 times as expensive as crts. Please Enlighten Me

superklye
08-30-04, 09:38 PM
smaller, lighter, give off less heat

mattkenn_4545
08-30-04, 09:43 PM
What about Quality of picture. Asuming you have the space it seems like one of those neat buy kinda dumb things to get.

AthlonXP1800
08-30-04, 10:01 PM
smaller, lighter, give off less heat

and... low power usuage. :)

netviper13
08-30-04, 10:33 PM
I got tired of lugging my massive Dell 19" CRT around to LAN parties, this NEC/Mitsu 1760NX looks great, doesn't blur, and is very very portable. Not to mention its color goes perfectly with all my other equipment, it takes up very little space and puts off almost no heat, and it doesn't use much power. I too am never going back to CRT.

-=DVS=-
08-30-04, 11:03 PM
Not me i tried few expensive LCDs both sucked , LCDs don't do Dark levels well at all , unleas someone can point my way some uber LCD with no ghosting and superb black color.

ricercar
08-30-04, 11:26 PM
I started buying laptops exclusively about 1990. I was in heaven when I could finally get a LCD without a laptop attached.

CRT flicker and whine gives me severe headaches. Even 120 Hz refresh on a relatively small 1024x768 display drives me to pain within an hour or two. Don't even talk about 85 Hz or TVs.

wshadow
08-31-04, 12:09 AM
i like my vg800, had it like 2 years almost, works great

FastM
08-31-04, 12:28 AM
Im really happy i went with a 22inch CRT last year instead of a 19inch LCD. My next monitor is LCD For sure but IMO they are not ready yet. Although that Viewsonic modelw with a 1600x1200 native res has got me thinking, its just way out of my budget.

Arioch
08-31-04, 04:12 AM
LCD monitors have their strong points but since I do not move my PC around and I got enough room for it I will continue to use a CRT monitor. Besides, I need a CRT to enjoy Stereo 3-D gaming.

Slyder
08-31-04, 04:30 AM
Why do people buy LCD flat panels. All they seem to be is 2-3 times as expensive as crts. Please Enlighten Me

Not to mention rubbish for games.

I have tried 3 (overpriced I might add) flat panels, and for games they are absolute crap. CRT is here for a good few more years yet I feel.

|JuiceZ|
08-31-04, 08:33 AM
blah, there's quite a few LCD options for gamers now, abiet expensive but they're out there. Plus they're a godsend for hardcore lanparty gamers.

Pandora's Box
08-31-04, 08:39 AM
blah, there's quite a few LCD options for gamers now, abiet expensive but they're out there. Plus they're a godsend for hardcore lanparty gamers.

yeah seriously. i go to lan parties once a week usually on a friday night (what so im a geek got a problem punk? i got my work scheduled me off every friday and saturday, scheduled my college classes like that too. so did my friends.) lcd's are a godsend for lanparties. not to mension most of the lan parties are in cramped spaces.

Gator
08-31-04, 09:09 AM
Because they use a hell of a lot less space on your desk and they are more asethetically pleasing.

SignorSalad
08-31-04, 09:19 AM
I love mine (19" Samsung 192T and 15" Eizo 365).... They are both brighter and appear more vibrant than any CRT I have ever used.

As for games, there is slight ghosting in a few games on the 192T, and none in most others. After a week or 2 of ownership, you won't notice the ghosting anymore, or you'll be used to the small amount there is in some games. Dark areas reproduce fine on the 192T. As dark as it is, Doom3 runs fine and looks wonderful.

They both take up much less room on my desktop and all in all, the LCDs were 2 of the best computer purchases I've made. Count me in the group that wont ever buy another CRT.

Gator
08-31-04, 09:26 AM
I guess I'll mention another reason related to size... I'm a dual display and I love it, it really comes in handy for various tasks. But with limited desk space I wouldn't likely be able to have dual displays. ;)

SignorSalad
08-31-04, 09:42 AM
I guess I'll mention another reason related to size... I'm a dual display and I love it, it really comes in handy for various tasks. But with limited desk space I wouldn't likely be able to have dual displays. ;)

Amen to that...I'd have a hard time ever going back to single monitor computing.

GamblerFEXonlin
08-31-04, 11:47 AM
LCD have native resolutions, so when you play starcraft or old games it looks blurred.

I hear current LCD can play well at 75Hz, some set it at that at DVI-D and get the refresh. If you do try set any higher then 60Hz at analogue it re-samples the rate to 60hz

This refresh-mess and ghosting is taboo for anyone used to 120hz/fps and 85hz/fps gaming. high FPS and locking it to your monitor refresh/update is important for accuracy and reflexes, give me any best q3 player in the world, set him on a 60fps/hz setup- and let me 0wn him at my 120hz monitor.

And if you want d3 or hl2 or UT4 in native res you either need a super 3D card or low 3d quality. Oled displays won't help that either sigh

Jocomp10
08-31-04, 11:55 AM
Cost is what keeps me away from lcd. I love my viewsonic 19" monitor and it only cost 250$. How much would a good lcd monitor cost?

Riptide
08-31-04, 01:19 PM
The Dell 2001FP was on sale for $719 last week. 20.1" viewable, 16ms response time, 1600x1200 native resolution.

CRTs have better color reproduction including blacks and don't ghost at all. The ghosting with a 16ms or less panel is very difficult to notice, but it's still there.

IMO, only people that are extremely fickle w/regard to IQ prefer CRTs any more. The benefits of a good LCD outweigh the disadvantages.

Arioch
08-31-04, 02:15 PM
I still like being able to play at different resolutions on a CRT.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money to spend on a LCD and a shuttle PC then I would be all over when I leave town for long weekends but I still prefer my big and heavy CRT at home.

Nutty
08-31-04, 02:26 PM
Never tried a LCD/TFT meself, but I dont like the picture quality I see in stores.

Although I'm going to a lan party on Saturday, and wish I had one just for the portability factor. :) 19'' CRT's are a pain to carry.

My missus monitors getting old, and she dont game much, so I'll prolly replace hers with a TFT monitor, to give her more space tho. Might borrow it for lan partys :)

-=DVS=-
08-31-04, 03:01 PM
My 172X (12ms) exhibits no ghosting, and even the decent 25ms show only minimal ghosting which you wouldn't even notice after using for a bit.

As for the native resolutions, new LCD's run fine at other resolutions, they just look the BEST at their native. I will admit, older ones looked like crap at anything other than their native, but current ones look fine. I have reviewed tons of LCD's and they have come a long way. :)

Since you reviewed alot ! which LCD does Black shades best and have real 24bit display with low ms ? i have been reading alot and it seems you just can't trust spec writen , half of them 12ms or 16ms screens can only do 16.2m colors other good ones do 16.7m also some claim high contrast 700:1 , 800:1 but actualy got like 400:1 :eek: :wtf: impossible to get unbias review :retard:

|JuiceZ|
08-31-04, 05:17 PM
I hear current LCD can play well at 75Hz, some set it at that at DVI-D and get the refresh. If you do try set any higher then 60Hz at analogue it re-samples the rate to 60hz

This refresh-mess and ghosting is taboo for anyone used to 120hz/fps and 85hz/fps gaming. high FPS and locking it to your monitor refresh/update is important for accuracy and reflexes, give me any best q3 player in the world, set him on a 60fps/hz setup- and let me 0wn him at my 120hz monitor.

And if you want d3 or hl2 or UT4 in native res you either need a super 3D card or low 3d quality. Oled displays won't help that either sigh

Theres a big diff between 60hz on a LCD & 60hz on a CRT. Refreshes on an LCD are almost virtually invisible to the naked eye.

Your last point is very valid though, there wouldn't be much sense in buying an LCD that has a native rez of 16*12 & then hooking it up to a GF4 MX.

ynnek
08-31-04, 05:33 PM
for me its mostly too expensive for LCD's.. and ghosting and dead pixels would bother me in games.

I'm sticking with 19" CRT's...

and later i may get a cheaper dvi 17+" LCD in the future for text/browsing, and keep the CRT for games..