PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 Ti 4600 performance in UT2003?

Turnbolt
08-03-02, 03:39 PM
Ok, this is where the speed is and also, reluctantly I admit, probably the best card out there. So I want to find out once and for all from you ti4600 users if the card runs UT2003 full leaked beta fast like UT fast.

I know it's not the final game and my card is only on par with ti500, but the game beta has an overall slow feel to it to me. And players are complaining about slow running speed compared to UT. The defenders of its gameplay say that the special moves make up for it. But even the special jumps seem to get off to a slow start and aren't that fast to me. So does the ti4600 make the running speed and the moves fast like UT? Or is the game slow, as I suspect? This is the place to get an answer to it finally, as far as the beta goes.

Turnbolt

1.6 ghz p4 on an Intel d845wn motherboard
Radeon 64 mb 8500 retail - no overclock
Maxtor 40 gb - 5400 rpm, Toshiba 16x40 dvd rom
Creative 12x10x32 cd-rw, 512 mb pc133 sdram
On board sound, 3Com nic/cable, Win XP Home

sancheuz
08-03-02, 07:27 PM
Can you tell me where you got the leaked beta from. Anyways, from the charts i've seen, the geforce4 ti 4600 on ut2k3 ran it at 1024x768 at a whoping 145 fps. Dunno if AA was on.

eliteone
08-03-02, 10:40 PM
I can guarantee u aniso was not on...that really cuts the performance off of ut2k3 when turned on by a HUGE margin. I'm pretty sure AA wasnt on either.

saturnotaku
08-03-02, 10:41 PM
I snagged a build of the UT2k3 demo and it played pretty well on my Ti4600. The code wasn't nearly optimized though - the release build should smooth out the rough edges to the game. It was smooth for the most part with some slowdowns in a few areas but that was mostly because of the unoptimized code.

SavagePaladin
08-03-02, 10:50 PM
Yeah some of you folks:
You can't expect unoptimized buggy code to run well.
These UT2 leak performance complaints are the biggest waste of space on the net :rolleyes:

DXnfiniteFX
08-03-02, 10:58 PM
You want a game that REALLY STRESSES your card?

Try Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Play the game on D-Day. Another level to try is the Snowy Forest level. That kills your performance to hell and back.

Actually, indorr sequences are fast, but try doing it outside. That drops your frames bad. If there are ANY trees, it'll drop like a rock. That is the single most stressing game I ever played. Look at my specs, they're aren't so bad...

UT2003 runs faster than that, for crying out loud, and it isn't even completely optimized yet!

xCLAVEx
08-04-02, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by DXnfiniteFX
You want a game that REALLY STRESSES your card?

Try Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Play the game on D-Day. Another level to try is the Snowy Forest level. That kills your performance to hell and back.

Actually, indorr sequences are fast, but try doing it outside. That drops your frames bad. If there are ANY trees, it'll drop like a rock. That is the single most stressing game I ever played. Look at my specs, they're aren't so bad...

UT2003 runs faster than that, for crying out loud, and it isn't even completely optimized yet!

Actually, Morrowind is even heavier. Try putting the view distance at max and wander around balmora and it will slow your system down to a crawl no matter how powerful.

SavagePaladin
08-04-02, 07:16 AM
Doing excessive view distances can put any game to a crawl...just not many will let you.
maybe with NV30s advanced HSR thingy in the rumors

Turnbolt
08-04-02, 08:19 AM
Just have to wait for the game to come out then.

I got the full beta in mid June from ftp of some guy named Blaze in the mirc channel irc.easynews.com, sub channel #ut2003. His ftp like others are long gone. And that channel is so dead, I never see anyone asking for the leak there anymore. But maybe try and ask them for it, if they are even awake, it's not an official channel of the game, far from it.

Peer to peer of Kazaa-like places is supposed to have it , but I don't know Kazaa very well. I'm getting borderline now, so that's enough for awhile.

Turnbolt

oh dang, forgot, I do play it online and it looks so cool, sometimes get 8 to 10 players. List of active servers, click on the Servers tab - http://www.reality-check.tk/ Is that site going to far?

RaggaMuffin
08-17-02, 08:50 PM
I don't really think that ut 2003 looks that great. The CTF and bombing run maps do look nice, and its nice to have all that vegetation but the deathmatch maps are pretty unimaginative and the weapons do need improved. Why did they get rid of the sniper rifle and have that lightning gun instead? the character animations look a bit naff as well

The build I used was 927 which I think was pretty recent and it does look close to completion, apart from some minor clipping issues.

Performance wise it runs ok at medium texture detail. chugs a bit on maps like gestalt and maul on high detail.

Overall I think the original UT was difficult to improve on. UT does have a slightly more quake 3 feel to it with the field of view and it has a more consistent futuristic theme, which is an improvement on UT's gimmicky environments. The level design isn't as good. I think that Epic had better level designers than digital extremes and it shows in this game. lets hope Epic polish it up a bit before release. I'm more looking forward to the UT engine games like Deus ex 2