PDA

View Full Version : On Installing new drivers with the 6800 in WinXP

john19055
08-31-04, 02:48 AM
Be patient with me and please don't say search for it.
I have been used to installing ATI driver with my 9800pro,The last time I was installing nvidia drivers I had a TI 4600 and was running windows ME.I pretty sure I have it right when installing a driver set that does not have a installer.
First I go to the add/remove program and uninstall the display drivers,then I reboot and go to the Device Manager and click on the Display adapter and click on update the drivers and then point them to the nv4_disp and click to install.
Now what I need to know before I install them is do I go in the regedit and delete the nvidia driver entries like I did when updateing ATI drivers ,I tried that driver cleaner once but it messed up something in my system folder and I had to do a clean install.
who ever helps me thanks in advance.

OWA
08-31-04, 05:50 AM
I never edit the registry to remove entries when doing a manual install. But, I'll also install over the top without removing the previous driver most of the time anyway. If I don't install over the top, I still don't edit the registry to remove entries though. It is probably cleaner to do so but IMO, it isn't needed.

SLippe
08-31-04, 07:12 PM
Driver Cleaners are NOT needed! You did right by pointing to the .inf file to update your driver. I never use the setup.exe when installing drivers, I always do manual update by pointing it to the new folder. I also never uninstall old drivers, that way I can point back to that folder if needed. Only thing I might suggest is Coolbits 2, as it has some good options to play with. Good luck.

racingx
09-02-04, 07:10 AM
Driver Cleaners are NOT needed!

This is were you will always see conflicting points of view on the subject as I always use Drivercleaner in safe mode after uninstalling drivers to clean out leftover driver files. It may not happen to everyone but I have ran into problems in the past by just using the Add/Remove program option to uninstall Display Drivers both ATI and Nvidia before upgrading to a newer set. IMHO it all boils down to "the eyes of the beholder" :|

saturnotaku
09-02-04, 07:17 AM
I have ran into problems in the past by just using the Add/Remove program option to uninstall Display Drivers both ATI and Nvidia before upgrading to a newer set.

You shouldn't run into problems if you boot into safe mode before attempting to uninstall NVIDIA drivers. Every single NVIDIA card I've ever owned since switching to Windows 2000/XP (first was a GeForce2 Ultra) has had a 100% success rate by simply using the control panel to uninstall drivers while in safe mode. This is across a variety of CPUs, chipsets and video cards.

Demanufakture
09-02-04, 07:30 AM
If you dont think using add/remove programs to remove nvidia drivers is the right way, well you could not be more wrong. Go to www.nvidia.com , go to the driver page and click the driver installation hints. Right at the bottom it says, "Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove". There you have, officially from nvidia them selves. And no, you do not need to be in safe mode for it to work. You just need to remember to remove the driver folder left over in your nvidia folder after you removed the driver with the control panel and rebooted, then you install the new driver. This is to avoid your new driver detecting existing files in your nvidia folder.

saturnotaku
09-02-04, 07:57 AM
You just need to remember to remove the driver folder left over in your nvidia folder after you removed the driver with the control panel and rebooted, then you install the new driver. This is to avoid your new driver detecting existing files in your nvidia folder.

If you do it in safe mode, that folder will be deleted automatically. When you're in safe mode, no driver files are loaded at all so when you uninstall all files will be removed.

Demanufakture
09-02-04, 08:00 AM
If you do it in safe mode, that folder will be deleted automatically. When you're in safe mode, no driver files are loaded at all so when you uninstall all files will be removed.

I see what you mean. that makes sense although im pretty sure, but not 100% positive, after you uninstall the driver you should allow windows to reboot in normal mode so that it properly reboots and removes the driver from your control panel because sometimes if you install or delete something and it asks you to reboot and you do not let it reboot properly by entering your bios or windows options before it reboots into windows it can cause major BSOD problems in windows. But if you say it works that way also then I guess you can do it both ways. Its just a force of habit for me to just reboot normally and manually remove the driver folder myself. Doesnt matter, your way does the same thing.