PDA

View Full Version : No review of HL2 in the coming issue of PcGamer

Pages : [1] 2

aAv7
08-31-04, 02:50 AM
Apparently several sources on the australian version of pcgamer's forums, including editors, have stated the review has been held back...this seems to make it obvious that the next issue of pc gamer will also lack the review. If you remember, similar events took place with doom 3. They touted they had an earth shattering review, only to say it was being held back a month, then the following month ( 2 months after the original announcement) they had the doom 3 review. I'm guessing this will be the same type of situation....so it looks like the waiting continues. I have a $50 dollar bet with a friend that it doesnt ship in 04.

Phoking
08-31-04, 02:53 AM
Apparently several sources on the australian version of pcgamer's forums, including editors, have stated the review has been held back...this seems to make it obvious that the next issue of pc gamer will also lack the review. If you remember, similar events took place with doom 3. They touted they had an earth shattering review, only to say it was being held back a month, then the following month ( 2 months after the original announcement) they had the doom 3 review. I'm guessing this will be the same type of situation....so it looks like the waiting continues. I have a $50 dollar bet with a friend that it doesnt ship in 04.

i think you're gunna lose that bet. although they are still delaying it for various retarded reasons, they still have another 4 months to release it..

aAv7
08-31-04, 03:02 AM
4 months left...developed by valve....distributed by vivendi....lies by gabe....I like those odds =) lol.

Phoking
08-31-04, 03:05 AM
4 months left...developed by valve....distributed by vivendi....lies by gabe....I like those odds =) lol.

I'd take you on too if i was a betting man, but im a poor college student who has book and tuition to pay for :rolleyes:

nVidi0t
08-31-04, 03:09 AM
I think we'll get it by christmas time.

vampireuk
08-31-04, 04:12 AM
2006?

killahsin
08-31-04, 04:22 AM
i think you are all wrong. =P

On another related note

Has anyone with a 2 gighz+ or higher cpu and a 6800gt+ noticed that regardless of resolution and aa/af settings you seem to get the same frames in cs:s when playing dust?

FastRedPonyCar
08-31-04, 11:22 AM
I think we're going to get it before next month is over. I mean...hell, the game is already installed on my pc....just locked :(
________
medical marijuana dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

Seoulstriker
08-31-04, 11:39 AM
I think we're going to get it before next month is over. I mean...hell, the game is already installed on my pc....just locked :(

No, that's just a great PR team making you think that you have a game installed. I don't think you can really call textures a "game". :ORDER:

Sazar
08-31-04, 11:46 AM
I have a $50 dollar bet with a friend that it doesnt ship in 04.

I would take you on :cool:

insert random years ahead of the 04 and I win :D

Edge
08-31-04, 01:14 PM
Hehe, the HL2 review has been delayed.

I actually think the game will be done in the next few months, if for no other reason than simply because now they're under pressure to actually finish the game before someone figures out how to crack the content that they put out for the preload and starts assembling the game from it :D . Even if it's just some of the lesser-important content, some of it could still possibly be used with the old Alpha build. Wonder if they were smart enough to not include the maps in the pre-load...

Oh, and presumably they wouldn't have allowed the pre-load unless the game was at least FAIRLY close to release. I mean, why let people pre-load parts of the game if it's still months away from release?

aAv7
08-31-04, 01:21 PM
why announce a release date when it's still a year away? =)

holmes
08-31-04, 01:22 PM
eh.. seems like this whole pre-load thing is just a PR stunt.
(mag)

aAv7
08-31-04, 02:11 PM
http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134265

David

Editor, PCPP

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:06 am Post subject: No Half Life 2 review next issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite what it says on the "Next Month" page in #104, we will not be reviewing Half Life 2 in #105.

At the time of going to print a review did look likely to happen, but subsequent events have rendered it impossible. The following issue - #106 - should carry the eagerly anticipated PCPP review.

However we do have an unexpected treat for you in #105. I can't reveal any more, save to say it's BIG news.

killahsin
08-31-04, 02:27 PM
The preload is all material shaders, textures. And HL2 will most likely go gold at the end of CS:S beta. Or at least thats when the RC is going to vivendi. Although I can totally understand everyone being very negative and jaded about it.

aAv7
08-31-04, 04:04 PM
Well it's funny, cause they said the RC would be sent to vivendi " later this month" here we are august 31st-and still nothing. So uh....is it time to lie again and tell us the middle of sept?

CaptNKILL
08-31-04, 04:25 PM
Well it's funny, cause they said the RC would be sent to vivendi " later this month" here we are august 31st-and still nothing. So uh....is it time to lie again and tell us the middle of sept?
Maybe the RC has been sent... they dont have to tell us every little thing that happens.

aAv7
08-31-04, 04:46 PM
yes...they do! =P

Edge
08-31-04, 04:48 PM
Heh, wouldn't suprise me if Vivendi is testing the RC right now. It's usually not a good idea for companies to announce when they send out RCs though, otherwise their info page would be filled with something like:

"Today we sent out a new RC
"it was rejected"
"Today we sent out another RC"
"the RC has been rejected"

etc. for about, oh, 5 months :p

superklye
09-01-04, 01:07 AM
RC = Release Candidate?

killahsin
09-01-04, 04:50 AM
yes rc = release candidate

vampireuk
09-01-04, 05:22 AM
http://www.vampireuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pclamer.jpg

FastRedPonyCar
09-01-04, 10:33 AM
when did that issue hit newsstands? Because computer gaming magazine had a doom3 review also and I've had that since wed of last week. In the review, they said that they had to go to ID software's studio and play it on their machines to protect against a possible "breach". HAHAHA That sure paid off!
________
fourth-generation camaro (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Fourth-generation_Chevrolet_Camaro)

vampireuk
09-01-04, 10:38 AM
Look a little closer at the name of the mag :p

FastRedPonyCar
09-01-04, 11:27 AM
oh hahaha I missed that part :D
________
ford durashift history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Durashift)