PDA

View Full Version : Annoying screen flicker

Induna
09-01-04, 10:11 AM
I seem to be having a slight problem with these ForceWare drivers. Before I go on I want to say that I've tried these drivers on three different set-ups, all with different cards (GeForce3, ti4200 and FX5200) but still the same problem.

I get this black screen flicker that happens very quickly. The first one is when the desktop comes on to the screen, when Windows plays it's intro music. When I click on the nVidia settings icon on the taskbar it happens. And lastly when I right-click on an .mpg or .avi file.

I've tried different versions of these drivers right up to the latest one (66.00).
Games play OK but this flicker is rather annoying and unsightly.

Surely I can't be the only person who has this problem, has anybody else come across this annoyance and what did you do to solve it?

Thanks.

I should say that when I install the drivers from the manufacturers CD I don't get this flicker, but obviously those drivers are out of date.

Imbroglio
09-01-04, 10:28 AM
out of pure curiosity, what is your refresh rate set at?

svetli_pp
09-01-04, 10:33 AM
I've had this problem for a long time now if I understand you right. Since driver version around 5X.XX and my old Ti4200. Now I am with 5900XT and it's the same thing. It happens occasionally( not every time and it is unpredictable) after starting windows and going from logon screen to desktop or when selecting display->properties->settings->advanced or very rarely in other cases and the best way I can describe it is like changing the resolution of my monitor going through black screen. I've already given up trying to cope with this problem, have tried different monitor drivers and lately have made clean windows install but of no avail. It does not matter if nvidia drivers are WHQL or not. I know it will all be gone if I install older drivers but it is ridiculous to run 5900XT with 4X.XX:) and play 2 years old games. So if you find any solution let me know:)

Terminator
09-01-04, 10:53 AM
Same here.I get it in only one exact spot: when i m using Opera browser with Java included.Screen turns black for 0.25 second and comes back.Also when i exiting Opera the same problem occurs.But it happends very quickly,if u blink u ll miss it.Strange is that i had a X800pro and i got the same problem only worse.The screen turned black (in the same spot with Opera/Java) and i got it back after 1-2 seconds and in pieces.Very strange.I can say that it works better with Nvidia.Before that i had a 9800pro and no problems.Must be something related with Athlon64 and the new boards or something

racingx
09-02-04, 07:00 AM
I have a Athlon64 system and do not have this problem with my 6800GT and the newsest drivers (61.77). I am the only user on my WinXP machine and am thinking it might have somenthing to do with a WinXP system with multiple user Logins maybe (ack)

Induna
09-02-04, 10:18 AM
Well I don't know if this will work with anybody else but I took the advice of a guy who said install the montior drivers. Surely it couldn't be as simple as that?

I looked in display properties and XP had my monitor set as 'default monitor'. So I found the drivers on the net. I have this 21" LG monster. Anyway, I re-installed the 66.00 drivers and now in nVidia Dispaly Properties it recognizes my monitor as 'LG Electronics'. Before it was 'analogue display'. Now the screen doesn't flicker. Amazing.

I don't know if this will solve the problem for anybody else. If XP has your monitor set as default give it a try.

Edit: BTW, the person who asked what refresh rate I have: 75Mhz. I know XP defaults to 60Mhz when you connect a new monitor. I have set it at 85Mhz but I couldn't tell the difference from 75Mhz so I left it at that.

svetli_pp
09-06-04, 03:30 AM
I also have LG monitor - 915FT+ and I have my drivers installed. Screen flicher happens sometimes though. In hardware manager it shows FT915+ normally but after flicker I noticed it states default monitor. To correct it I have to go display->properties->settings->advanced at which point it flickers again inevitebly and after that it shows FT915+. I have tried with 2 different drivers for the monitor one of which WHQL. Before I thought the reason might be multiple driver installs because my windows was 1 year old, but before a month I've bought new harddrive and had to reinstall and it's all the same. So I gave up:)

Matisaro
09-09-04, 08:29 PM
Please help, I am having the same issue. It occurs whenever I go into the nvidia control panel, it also occurs upon bootup right after I see my desktop. But most annoyingly. whenever I right click a videofile of any type, IT DOES THE FLICKERING!@ It is just like the change resolution flicker.

PLease oh please tell me how to stop it. It is driving me insane!@

(system details) 65.73 forceware drivers, evga 6800gt@410/1.13, windows xp sp 2, athlon 64 3000+@2.43ghz (/system details).

Phalinx
09-09-04, 09:54 PM
Hello to everyone here..

I also have a problematic screen flicker issue. It occurs at random most of the time; however, whenever I open Windows Internet Explorer screen flicker is apparent. I'm wondering if it is a double driver issuse. Nvidia whql driver and PnP Monitor (monitor driver).

I'm currently using Nvidia 61.77 and Nec FE21111SB winxp 2002 drivers. I think they are a little old. I tried to find the lastest update for my monitor, but I had no success.

I did check the Nvidia drivers and they are not WHQL certified. Lets keep the thread alive. Hopefully, one of us might find a fix. I might try formating my hard drive and start over again.

Cheers

Phalinx

Matisaro
09-09-04, 09:58 PM
Also I am the only profile, so it isnt that. Also I have my viewsonic monitor drivers installed, it never says default monitor like the person above.

One strange thing, when I have the nvidia control panel open and on top (producing a flicker) rightclicking a movie file no longer produces the flicker effect. Its almost as if the menu screen itself causes the flicker.

I need help!

SirPurple
11-07-04, 09:30 AM
Take a look at JRepin's support request (http://support.nvidia.com/Content/nvsupport/vwSupportRequest.asp?RequestGUID=ADA7444F-2519-4712-815A-05032B1CA09B) to explain a way of fixing this problem (at least for video files).

Essentially, there is a command that will instruct the offending nvcpl.dll to remove its own registry entries:
"regsvr32 /u %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\nvcpl.dll"

See the Screen goes blank when clicking nVidia tray icon or videos (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37959) thread for more info.